Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 185 total)
  • Who do you boycott?
  • marcus7
    Free Member

I’d say if you are going to boycott products that are supplied via morally dodgy companies/ countries you’ll have to go off line fellas!, Having visited the big players in the far east who almost certainly had a hand in you phone/tablet/pc etc then i’m afraid you wont have much choice. they are by european standards terrible places to work and the employees are treated pretty badly (although i’ve not been for a couple of years so they may have improved!!).

ononeorange

Tesco for their general underhandedness in planning and consequent dominance;
    Tobacco companies as I detest their attempted cynical manipulation of people’s minds;
    McDonalds for their business ethics;
    Coke & Pepsi;
    The Times partly as it’s Murdoch, partly as it’s poor in my opinion but mostly due to that Matthew Parris anti-cycling rant;
    Eric Pickles if I possibly could.

mega
    Free Member

ASDA – it’s full of poor people

julianwilson
    Free Member

Idealogical:
    -Nike
    -Newscorp/N.I./Sky

Aesthetic:
    -most expensive-but-high-street brands where it is very omportant to have the brand name very big so everyone can see you are wearing it, particularly the ones that were cool and then sold out massively eg Bench, Ecko, Superdry.

Not sure whether “meat and fish” really counts: I do buy and cook these for other people and my children.

I am also a nurse, and so on a daily basis I am required to give people and extoll the benifits and virtues of medicines that are made by eeeeeeevil big pharma companies with highly dubious skellingtons* in their closets. (*yes that is how real health professionals speel it 😀 )

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

All Israeli produce. All non-free range eggs.

alex222
    Free Member

So if I stop spending my money there they will change or go out of business?

What about everyone else who uses/buys their products? Is their money not as powerful as my money?

DezB
    Free Member

I boycott The Sun. Er, but then again I don’t actually buy any newspapers, so does that count?

stormtrooper
    Free Member

oliverd1981
    Free Member

terroristsCorporations are easy to spot, they usually have a sign round their necks ! Outside

Probably do more damage to the world in the long run.

I boycott organised religion and talk-talk.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

I refuse to flush the toilet, its sinful and cruel

alex222
    Free Member

All non-free range eggs.

You sir, truly are a martyr.

ononeorange

Oh yes. I forgot Ryanair for revelling in rude and atrocious “service”.

And Addison Lee for that appalling anti-cycling rant.

wl
    Free Member

Vodaphone, for ineptitude and tax dodging.
    U2, for bad music and tax dodging.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Most of this I get. But struggling to see how the Guardian gets lumped in with the Hail and the Murdoch press.

Yes they have a flagrant bias towards basket weaving lentil munchers but what bad can come of it. The Hail on the other hand would have us all watching our backs in fear of the immigrant granny bashing peados, it does tend to stir up a bit more trouble.

alfabus
    Free Member

Been boycotting planes for the last few years.

no plans to get back on them any time in the near future. would like to visit canada at some point, but other than that, I’m quite happy ‘limiting’ myself to stuff that is in car/train range 🙂

Dave

warton
    Free Member

no one. I have been trying to think of something.

I suppose, even though I don’t buy newspapers at all, I wouldn’t ever buy the sun, mainly because pretty everyone I’ve ever met who reads the sun is a moron. So include the Daily Mail in that too.

leffeboy

Been boycotting planes for the last few years.

That as well, partly because it’s nice not to rush everywhere but it isn’t always possible

m1kea
    Free Member

The company I boycotted last year was Amazon.

They plissed me about with a quite expensive order and couldn’t be bothered to offer any decent customer service.

And that’s after being a customer of theirs since 1998.

The current company at the top of our 5h’itlist is Monarch Airlines after bouncing us off a flight yesterday. Spent 9 hours waiting for the next available flight which was in to Birmingham, which is 150 miles away from us.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I only really Boycot Nestle – well I try to, as above there’s always some random sauce/ingredient you buy and then later once you’ve got it home, you find that bloody bird on the back – and Asda.

But there are many shops I don’t shop in because I just don’t like being in them or what they sell, or they make me want to kill people – Starbucks, GAP, Dixons PC World etc…

uwe-r
    Free Member

I’d like to say I boycott Ebay on the basis they are based in Lichtenstein in fact anyone based in Lichtenstein should be boycotted but I cant. Ebay is ace for buying tat and my desire to buy tat overrides my ethical consumerism.

unklehomered
    Free Member

All non-free range eggs.

You sir, truly are a martyr.

genuine lol at that… So do I for what it’s worth, but since we have chickenses that an easy one…

Watty

Easyjet and Orange for their absolutely dreadful customer service.

andytherocketeer

I don’t boycott the ‘bay, but I just refuse to use it.
    Liechtenstein is not a bad place. Quirky, and some seriously bling houses in places, but I’d go there again.

CountZero

scruff – Member
    Apple. Im not giving Bono any money.

Eh? What’s Bono got to do with Apple?
    Starbucks, because their coffee is watery, flavourless pish, and Specalized, because they bought up the patent for the Horst Link system, then set about forcing other users to pay a licence fee for something they hadn’t had a hand in developing, like Nikolai, who had helped design and develop it. An early patent troll, so screw ’em.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

I am boycotting work

Lifer
    Free Member

No More Page 3 are asking people to boycott Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Asda, Morrison’s and DFS from October 29 through November 4 as these as big ‘family values’ advertisers in the Sun.

toby1

If you boycott a firm that uses cheap labour in the production of it’s clothes then they have falling profits and as a result will try to squeeze more out of their workers. Same with fairtrade foods.

So who wins from any of this?

It’s something I am often confused by.

I tend to buy fairtrade and use ethical clothing as much as I can, but I’m no saint and by far my closet 5 supermarkets are all Tesco’s – I can only buy local veg from the stand on the way home when it sells it – and they stop for 4 months of the year, so what the hell should I do then?

Oh, I am boycotting children though, bad for the environment, bad for additional strain on already limited resources and it means I never have to tell people about how little sleep I’m getting because of the little trolls.

Random chat over, time to go home – by bike (I boycott my own car as a commuter – it drinks way too much fuel!)

sbob
    Free Member

Tesco due to appalling customer service.
    ASDA as they are owned by Walmart who have some horrible “Christian” practices.
    J Wadsworth off licence, because the owner is a ****.

enveetee
    Free Member

any human who breeds

tthew

RAC, as their membership cock-up left me to drive 200 miles with a broken front disk once.
    Dave Hinde.

Edit – and square plates. I know it’s a ‘thing’ and not a ‘who’ but I won’t entertain any notion of a square dinner service.

Flaperon

Anything made in China. Within reason, obviously.

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

iDave

geologist
    Free Member

KFC – Crap water filled battery meat, and bad ethics.
    Burger King and MacD’s – As above
    Frankie and Bennys, La Tasca etc etc – Crap food.

French Cars – Crap.

Big shopping centres – Full of chavs
    Sports Direct etc – as above

andytherocketeer

Cr@p water filled battery meat

There’s meat?
    Mine was like heavily spiced castrol GTX with good measure of Mobil1.
    Which probably explains why it came out the same end it went in.

teenrat

Tesco and sky. For the monopolization and scant regard for the consequences. Not one penny of my money will go through a tescos till. They have to have a finger in every pie, in areas that they know nothing about ie tyres.

Cougar

I don’t boycott much. Ryanair jump to mind, purely because of O’Leary. And there’s a local taxi firm here which I’ve boycotted because their drivers all drive with total disregard for anyone else on the road.

There’s plenty of brands I don’t use, or don’t use often, but it’s not really a boycott per sé. I rarely venture into McD’s et al for instance, largely because it’s not the most appealing of food vendors for a veggie. I don’t buy newspapers, because I have an Internet connection. And so on.

davidjones15
    Free Member

Isn’t the company supposed to be told that they’re being boycotted? Seems like a pointless act otherwise, no?
    For me, Starbucks because of the alleged brand bombing strategy to close out competition.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

McDonalds and most popular fast food outlets like KFC, Burger King, etc.
    I read Fast Food Nation 8 years ago. I’ve reluctantly wavered on 3 occasions since but I felt dirt straight afterwards!
    I try to avoid Tesco’s for the reasons stated above.
    I also boycott people who don’t smile much – the sort who would comlain that their arse was on fire rather than put it out… I can’t be doing with people who whinge.
    Whinge over…

hora
    Free Member

Tesco’s derelict my balls.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

There’s lots of places I never shop at and brands I never buy but I wouldn’t say I’m actively boycotting them as such purely because of who they are.
    There are places I’ll never spend money again after very poor service though. But I dunno if that counts as a properly ethical boycott if it’s for specific but isolated events where I personally have felt hard done by- rather than their corporate policy.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 185 total)

The topic ‘Who do you boycott?’ is closed to new replies.