Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 134 total)
  • Who carries a knife in their back pack ?
  • redthunder
    Free Member

Picked up one these at an auction the other day for stupid cheap price.

Tool Logic SL3 (Swedish Firesteel)

The whistle is brilliant and Japanese steel 🙂

http://www.bluemarinestore.com/tool-logic-sl3.html

I hope it’s legal ? It has a three inch blade.

Hohum
    Free Member

redthunder – Member

I hope it’s legal ?

I wouldn’t have thought so.

anonymouse
    Free Member

It looks to have a locking mechanism which means it doesn’t count as a folding pocket knife and isn’t automatically legal. It can still be carried if there is a good reason, but that’s for you to satisfy the courts about if charged.

MSP

What possible use could you have for that in the UK on a bike ride, other than stabbing someone and stealing their bike.

toppers3933
    Free Member

you would need a very good excuse if it was found on you. a butterknife is illegal if you havent got a good reason to have it on you.

trickydisco
    Free Member

What possible use could you have for that in the UK on a bike ride, other than stabbing someone and stealing their bike.

for cutting your own arm off if it gets jammed under a rock and you haven’t told anyone where you were going

5thElefant
    Free Member

No locking knife is legal. I have a leatherman squirt in my tool bag. You won’t kill a bear with it but it’s small and useful.

hels
    Free Member

Only for softie Yanks. If that guy was Antipodean he would have bitten through his arm days earlier.

redthunder
    Free Member

I’ve always carried a Swiss Army knife in my camelbak an used it on loads occasions. But the blade is getting a bit duffed up now as it used to be my grandads.

I’m always getting stuff stuck in my cassette and knife has always worked well.

Anyways, if it is illegal I shove in in my shed toolkit.

CaptJon
    Free Member

MSP – Member
    What possible use could you have for that in the UK on a bike ride

To look/feel cool and proper Grylls.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’ve always carried a Swiss Army knife in my camelbak an used it on loads occasions. But the blade is getting a bit duffed up now as it used to be my grandads.

I’m always getting stuff stuck in my cassette and knife has always worked well.

Anyways, if it is illegal I shove in in my shed toolkit.
    If you mean the swiss army knife, it’s only illegal if the blade has a lock, which AFAIK swiss army knives don’t.

Stoner
    Free Member

the law is an ass.

Pretty much all the knives I use regularly are locking knives. Even my stanley knife is a folding locking one.

But then I dont go carrying it around urban centres or in my suit pocket. If Im carrying a knife its because Im either off camping, riding, walking or working.

The locking blade distinction should be dropped. A simple test of intent or reasonableness should suffice regardless of the type of blade. I could do more damage with a Jack Saw than a locking bladed knife

crankboy
    Free Member

It is not made as a weapon per se so not an offensive weapon unless you intended to use it as a weapon.

but it is a lock knife and possibly the blade is longer than 3 inches so it does not fit into the exception to the bladed article prohibition . That means if you have it in a public place you are committing an offence unless you have “a good reason or lawful authority” The guideline sentence is custody.

First offence you may be cautioned and asked to forfeit the knife

Cougar

Hm.

I carry a locking penknife everywhere with me. It’s a 4.5cm blade (so under 2″, just measured it) and hangs on my keyring. I’ve removed the thumbscrew that makes it easy to open (in truth, it unscrewed itself and fell off) so in order to use it realistically as a weapon I’d have to detach it from my keys and use both hands to open it (before using it to give someone a slight scratch).

Where do I stand legally on this? Is it illegal? Is a copper likely to apply some sort of common sense over it? If it came to it, the huge bunch of keys in themselves would probably be a far more effective weapon than the knife.

user-removed
    Free Member

Only for softie Yanks. If that guy was Antipodean he would have bitten through his arm days earlier.

If he’d been a Scot, he’d have deep fried the boulder, eaten it for breakfast and washed it down with two pints of home(bladder)-made Irn-Bru.

For what it’s worth, I pretty much always have a ‘gentlemans’ folding pocket knife’ somewhere about my person. Just force of habit really, and it does get used daily. I could do without it – use my teeth, get up and find some scissors or whatever, but it’s handy and looks very inoffensive. Obviously doesn’t come down the pub with me.

Ah, Cougar.

You’ve given us a nice little insight into your persona there.

Is it unfair to judge a man by the amount of keys on his keyring – and a penknife to boot….

😉

Cougar

As for usage, you might as well ask “why do you carry a screwdriver?” I’m a geek, carrying a small knife is incredibly useful and it probably gets used for something random on a weekly basis, but I don’t have a specific reason for it. It’s a lock knife because I’ve had it for donkey’s years and I don’t like cutting my own fingers off.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Where do I stand legally on this? Is it illegal? Is a copper likely to apply some sort of common sense over it? If it came to it, the huge bunch of keys in themselves would probably be a far more effective weapon than the knife.

Illegal. Simple as that.

The chances of getting caught are slim. But, replace it with a 2.9″ non-locking folder and you don’t have to worry.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I always carry a .45 in my camelback. Saves on arguments as to what it’s intended purpose is 🙂

TheBrick
    Free Member

Stoner – Member
    the law is an ass.

Pretty much all the knives I use regularly are locking knives. Even my stanley knife is a folding locking one.

But then I dont go carrying it around urban centres or in my suit pocket. If Im carrying a knife its because Im either off camping, riding, walking or working.

The locking blade distinction should be dropped. A simple test of intent or reasonableness should suffice ragardless of the type of blade. I could do more damage with a Jack Saw than a locking bladed knife

Agreed. Locking knifes are popular because they are usually safer in use.

Cougar

Is it unfair to judge a man by the amount of keys on his keyring – and a penknife to boot….

It’s been argued that a fit ninja could hurl my keys through a tree trunk.

I use everything that’s on there though. Door keys for home, car keys, bike lock keys, work keys; the rest are tools, knife, torch, USB pendrive, bottle opener and the like. Uh, and a Lego Indiana Jones. You never know.

The keyring itself is a climbing carabiner, could save my life one day (-: Everything’s modular on there so I can snap things out if I need, say, just my door key.

Hey, do we need a “get your keys out for the lads” photo thread?

Stoner
    Free Member

elephant – this is my swiss knife. the forrester has a locking blade.

Its a good knife and much safer to use IMO than an non-locking bladed one.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Locking blades are considered more dangerous ans they are easier to stab someone with.

There is an exemption for small non locking blades. Otherewise all knives are illegal unless being carried for good reason.

Cougar

Illegal. Simple as that.

The chances of getting caught are slim. But, replace it with a 2.9″ non-locking folder and you don’t have to worry.

Male hens.

I’ll give some thought to replacing it. Open to recommendations.

Cougar

There is an exemption for small non locking blades.

Define “small”? Is mine ok, then?

MrNutt
    Free Member

I am indeed a fit ninja and I so could hurl your keys through a tree trunk, and I would, just for a laugh.

kimbers

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01NHcTM5IA4[/video]

i do take my gerber quite often, never actually had cause ti use it though

5thElefant
    Free Member

Open to recommendations.

Michael Morris friction folder…

sharki
    Free Member

always.

On my big walk i always had a gerber multitool blade.
    However at about 50mm, wasn’t efficient for alot of uses.

I managed after a fair distance to then get an Opinel No. 7 with was a much better tool and an handy deterrent as i found out on occasions.

I lost that and now carry in my pack a No 10 with carbon steal blade and a No.120 for sawing purposes.

For travelling my Mora roe knife comes along too.

As far as i care, the illegally lengthed No 10 serves a lawful purpose in my pack as a foraging/hunting tool.

loddrik
    Free Member

I have a Gerber lock knife on my keys so it goes everywhere with me. I think the blade is just under 3in but TBH I couldn’t care if it is legal or not. If, say, I was in the park with my two young daughters and someones dog decided to attack, the dog would get it I’m afraid. If you could see the amount of supposed ‘status dogs’ we have up here, you’d understand my reasoning…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cougar – Member

There is an exemption for small non locking blades.

Define “small”? Is mine ok, then?

IIRC under 3″

Cougar

I can’t see my knife being much use in a dog attack. I’d probably be able to brain the sod with my keys though.

Stoner
    Free Member

In fact the three knives I own are:

Locking box cutter

Locking Swiss Army knife and

Locking Opinel.

jhw
    Free Member

That’s not a knife

Cougar

Ah yes.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knife_legislation#England_and_Wales

The special exception which exists in the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (s139) for folding knives (pocket knives) is another “common sense” measure accepting that some small knives are carried for general utility; however, even a folding pocket knife of less than 3″ (76 mm) may still be considered an offensive weapon if carried or used for that purpose.

However, the next bit is less clear (quelle surprise)

It is a common belief that a folding knife must be non-locking for this provision to apply, but the wording of the Criminal Justice Act does not mention locking and the matter becomes a question as to the definition of “folding pocket knife”. In the case of R. v Deegan (1998) in the Court of Appeal of England and Wales, the ruling that ‘folding’ was intended to mean ‘non-locking’ was upheld. As the only higher court in England and Wales is the Supreme Court the only way this ruling could be overturned is by a dissenting ruling by the Supreme Court or by Act of Parliament.

rideallday77
    Free Member

I think since no one has heard of anyone getting into trouble for carrying a knife in a outdoors capacity, its probably overlooked. Since farmers and folk on shoots get to carry guns, a knife seems a litle insignificant.

Leatherman charge FTW

Cougar

It goes on,

Swiss Army Knives with locking blades are illegal to carry ‘without good reason’ in the UK and the crown prosecution service have attempted to prosecute policemen, hikers and picnickers who possess such weapons without a specific and immediate reason.

So much for ‘common sense’ then. 🙄

Stoner
    Free Member

what 77 ^ says is my defence anyway 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

I have something like this, but cheaper, in my Camelbak:

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘Who carries a knife in their back pack ?’ is closed to new replies.