Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Who always rides with some form of personal ID?
  • househusband
    Free Member

Road ID is a good source.

These look pretty good from havinga peek at their webiste but is there a UK based version as it looks like it could take a while to be delivered from the US?

They are good – mine took just over a week to arrive. I went for a dog-tag style one as I wanted it to be noticeable; mine has the medical alert symbol on one side, and medical (Type 1 diabetes) on the other.

nuke

mine took just over a week to arrive.

Cheers HH. That sounds better. Did you go for the USPS First Class Mail ($2.49) or USPS Global priority ($12.49)? Not to up on importing: did yours incur any other charges going through customs?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Always have debit card and usually phone. Don't see the need for any 'specially-designed' ID really.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    crikey
    Free Member

…and all that blood group malarkey might make you feel like you're back in the 'Nam, but will be studiously ignored by anyone who needs to give you blood; your blood will be matched in hospital; a safer prospect than relying on the information on a tag.

househusband
    Free Member

Did you go for the USPS First Class Mail ($2.49) or USPS Global priority ($12.49)? Not to up on importing: did yours incur any other charges going through customs?

I just went for the standard $2.49 delivery, and there were no customs charges on the $27.48 total. Placed the order on the May 30th and it shipped on June 3rd – arrived a week after that.

househusband
    Free Member

Don't see the need for any 'specially-designed' ID really.

Perhaps not if you are lucky not to have any medical conditions that would be handy for the emergency services to know about? For those of us that do, the medical alert symbol could quite literally be a life-saver.

zokes
    Free Member

I try not to fall off. I find that helps a lot! 😉

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Perhaps not if you are lucky not to have any medical conditions that would be handy for the emergency services to know about? For those of us that do, the medical alert symbol could quite literally be a life-saver.

Good point, hadn't really thought about that.

shoefiti
    Free Member

Funny we were talking about this on the obligatory cafe stop on Saturaday road ride. I went for the Road ID 2 weeks ago, took 6 days from the states, as i'd hate for my wife/kids not to know (for example) if i was knocked unconscious and in hospital. Reason i went for it as opposed to phone/credit card etc……

1) What if your phone is smashed, lost in accident, pretty likely if you've damaged yourself, camel back tacken off/misplaced etc.

2) A credit card provides no details to the police about emergency contact numbers ie pay as you go mobile for your wife, dads/mums number etc.

3) Tell them where you are/when you are due back – yes you should probably do this anyway, but would you prefer the wife etc to be ringing round all the hospitals unesesarily?

I didn't hink about it much when single and kid free, but having been involved in a serious road accident i think that it's not much to spend for a little piece of mind for your family, even if the new they get isn't good, at least they stand a better chance of getting it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Driving Licence in wallet (Name, Address, DOB)
    Blood group on key ring (blood donor 'free gift')
    ICE number(s) in phone

Not alergic to anythign in a life threatening way so worst I'll wake up with is being a bit groggy if they give me NSAIDs

IanMunro
    Free Member

You should always carry a phone with you regardless if its road or trail. Imagine you have a major mechanical out on the roads. What are you going to do?!

That's a good point Hora. I imagine no one road bikes before 1990.

wors
    Drac

2) A credit card provides no details to the police about emergency contact numbers ie pay as you go mobile for your wife, dads/mums number e

Would take them no time at all to get your details though.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Havent read all that but my thoughts when i read the post about the guy who was hit (My best regards to his family) was that i didnt think there was any point in it being spread all over the net.

All it did was make bikers think they were part of a community and feel good about themselves.

If i ride, my wife (Change for any responsible person) knows the basic route and where i am riding (100% if i am solo). What more do you need? Isnt that the basic requirement of any walker/climber/biker etc etc. Phones are good but prone to signal loss so only a back up.

Drac

t i didnt think there was any point in it being spread all over the net.

Well at least one person thought they may have known who it was, turns out it wasn't, that was the idea not to make us feel good.

Phones are good but prone to signal loss so only a back up.

Luckily you don't need a signal to retrieve the number.

shoefiti
    Free Member

Would take them no time at all to get your details though.

How the hell will they get my wifes pre pay non registered mobile number?

Luckily you don't need a signal to retrieve the number

As long as you don't have a pin on your phones start-up.

As far as i can make out anyone who thinks it's not a good idea is just being unnecessarily pedantic, that or they are always like this so no one really gives a flying f*** if they come home or not.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

RoadID here – highly recommended. Quick delivery, looks OK, easy for anyone to find, won't get broken, easy enough to use everytime.

EDIT: when not wearing it, keep it wrapped round a suitable tube on your bike so you don't forget it :o)

Drac

Do you have a home?

Clearly.

crikey
    Free Member

Jesus. Like we live in the most dangerous country in the world, and we all do such death defying stunts in the wilderness that we need to leave messages and carry phones and emergency beacons just in case.

Get over yourselves, you're big bloody blouses!

Never mind all the **** pads and helmets and space blankets that accompany every jaunt…

FFS.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Engraved my own dog tags at work….Sorted!

scraprider
    Free Member

name stiched into tee shirt . ole school stylee 🙂

rich-6
    Free Member

I always have my driving licence on me even if i dont have my wallet, My helmet also has my address and emergency contact details in as you never know

Travis

I have to, since I live in Beijing. Or if asked for ID, and have non on me, just have to sit in a police station until someone can get it from my house.

I do also, carry a card on me (in Chinese & English) telling ppl whom to contact in case of an emergency though etc.
    I think the Road ID is good thing.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hmmm – I don't always bother but I might well make a point of doing so for solo rides in the future

shoefiti
    Free Member

Do you have a home?

Clearly

Yes i have a home, and my wife is not always there, as she often go's to her mothers at weekend so i can go riding!!! Look this is stupid, you want the police to have to go to the hassle of trying to trace your address through a credit card. and/or contact details of your wife/partner, drive to your house, hang around for a few hours to see if wife/partner returns, just because you can't be bothered to get some id 🙄 I'm sure the police would prefer you took some.

OK think of it this way – your found on the road, a few hundres yards from your house after fall, your knocked out (plausable scenario)the police and ambulance attend. Your in back of ambulance, where is your bike going to go??? if you have ID the police could drop it back round your house if you only lived up the road, better than you trying to get it back later.

Toddboy
    Free Member

I find it very difficult to believe that people are arguing about this. We spend a small fortune on our bikes, and even more money on the rest of our gear. Most of us then either buy a mobile, or get one on contract, even more expense!

And yet, when it comes to spending a very small amount on ID, (or even just getting a card and writing contact details on it), people are reluctant to spending a few pounds!

It's something that I have only given a very brief thought about in the past, but I will be looking into getting something.

epicyclo

It's simple good manners to carry ID and ICE instructions. It weighs nothing and saves the emergency services time that they can spend on someone else.

firestarter
    Free Member

when we turn out to road accidents we or the police always look for id. Sadly most motorcyclists and cyclists ive been to had none. At least with motorbikes they have a reg number. Even tho it may be stolen so we try find other id to verify details

Drac

I'm sure the police would prefer you took some.

Of course they do makes it a lot easier but like I say they can get details from you credit card. Although as yuor rightly pointed out it's very flawed way.

Your in back of ambulance, where is your bike going to go???

We normally ask the Police to look after any property we can't safely take with us, anyone badly injured enough is grateful we took care of them and do not worry about their property too much. When they do recover they usually very happy to see it was taken somewhere secure and not left in their back yard while the wife is aware for the weekend.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Wallet with CC's and driver's licence, company ID etc on me all the time. Mobile too. But I think I'll get the Road ID thingy, hopefully I'll never need it.

sslowpace
    Free Member

My wife liked the idea of the road id so orderd one for me. If you use the following code it'll save a dollar!!

Coupon Number: ThanksPeter520906

househusband
    Free Member

Thought I'd bring this thread out of the doldrums by mentioning that RoadID are offering a 15% discount until end of the month – just got an email from them.

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Who always rides with some form of personal ID?’ is closed to new replies.