Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 1,380 total)
  • Whitwick / Coalville / NW Leicestershire Riders
  • rascal
    Free Member

Al – believe it or not I was about to suggest the very same thing! I struggle to get there for 6.30 (if I manage to get out at all!). How about meeting at 7 instead? Means I and presumably you lot have a much better chance of getting there. Not like we’re trying to catch the last of the rays anymore! Park at the pub as we’ll always have a beer after anyway. What do the masses think? Starting to feel like me and this Weds ride are just not meant to be! Sorry to the South Leics guys – I will kill a work colleague if I don’t make it next week….so, 7pm everyone???

muddyfool

Phil – we really must’ve just missed you, hopefully next week!

Good ride tonight Alan. Neither of us really knew where we were going but we managed to string a decent little route together. And find the pub, of course 🙂

It was quite fun to ride some damp trails for a change (yes, I know I’ll regret saying that in a few weeks/months!) There wasn’t really any mud, just the occasional slippery rock and root to keep things interesting.

7 is better for me too, means less of a rush and possibly even time to eat something first too! Pub car park also sounds good, it has lights which would make packing up in the dark a bit easier too.

Alan – this is the light I have:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B007WAAO70/ref=ox_ya_os_product

dannyh
    Free Member

Good to hear some of you made it out.

I’m getting seriously grouchy about this frame thing now. The worst scenario is that they take the full 10-14 days, and then say ‘no’.

If this happens I would advise anyone in my vicinity at the time to put their fingers in their ears.

That would mean having to order and receive a new frame, get headset cups pressed in, and build the rest up myself.

Anyway, I’ll be on to Evans (again) tomorrow if they don’t contact me like they said they would.

I can feel my legs getting weaker by the hour!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rascal
    Free Member

Muddy – do you rate that light and have you used it much? Could do with a new cheap but reliable and most importantly bright light…will be eyeing up your lights next week!

alanl
    Free Member

I asked for the link to the light, as it looks identical to the Magicshine light I have, which cost me £70.
    I’ll be getting one for my road bike.
    Thanks, and see you all next week, whether it is 6.30 or 7 (which is better for me)

Alan.

rascal
    Free Member

7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7!

muddyfool

Rascal: I’ve only had the light for a few weeks and probably used it about 4 or 5 times in varying degrees of dusk/dark so I can’t say much about reliability. I picked up a second one for my helmet (and as backup) too. They’re plenty bright enough – I usually have one or both on the medium power setting.

It’s the standard ‘cheap Chinese Cree light’ that is often discussed on here and is sold by various places at various prices (I think we talked about it last time we both rode on a Weds, just before I bought one?). I reckon about half of the weds night riders I’ve met so far are using the same!

The main complaint seems to be that it’s a bit spotty, so I got one of these for my bar-mounted one:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/SEEN-ANGLE-DIFFUSER-LUMEN-LIGHTS/dp/B00DQ5IGMU/ref=sr_1_4?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1378968131&sr=1-4&keywords=C%26B+SEEN

Fits perfectly and widens the beam enough for me. I’m undecided whether to bother with one for my helmet light since that usually points further ahead and the spot hasn’t been a problem so far.

The battery doesn’t look very waterproof but I’ve fixed that with a freezer bag and rubber band…

dannyh
    Free Member

Finally lost my rag with the whole warranty replacement thing!

I’m going to be ordering an on one 456 evo at the weekend, hopefully receiving it Tuesday, and building it up. I’ve ordered some shims and a new seat clamp.

Madison won’t guarantee even looking at my broken frame before 27th September. If they do send me one, I’ll flog it on eBay.

Good excuse for a new frame if you ask me.

Then I’ll be back in the mix for Wednesday nights before you can say ‘ooooh that’s a nice new frame’.

fathomer

That’s pretty piss poor customer service to be honest.

Which colour are you going for? There both pretty nice but I think I prefer the Matt Raw.

dannyh
    Free Member

I’m going for ‘smoked paprika’. Ooooooh, get me!

Now my mind is made up, I am straining at the leash to get one.

It’s a bit more of a bugger than I thought, though. I’ve got to get a new headset as well, get the cups pressed in and the crown race swapped over (halfords?)

Then I can build it up from the body parts of the genesis.

haydnw
    Free Member

Sorry chaps, work did me over on Wednesday too. 7PM start works for me in future.

scandal42
    Free Member

Love that frame Danny, nice choice.

Not sure if it fits the frame but I run an fsa orbit headset that I got from on-one at a cracking price.

dannyh
    Free Member

I’m going to order the 18″ frame tonight so they will despatch Monday and I will receive Tuesday at work.

I’ve already considered the headset issue – On One’s prices for these look brilliant.

I’m either going to get an FSA Pig Pro or the On One headset that says it has a ‘ridiculously well-sealed lower bearing’.

Apparently I can request them to press the cups in prior to them sending it out (at a small charge).

All I then need to do is get the crown race on my existing fork switched over (i’m really hoping halfords can cope with this on Tuesday evening!), then I’m good to go on the build-up.

I’ve got some nice new gear cables (the routing is different), a seatpost shim and a new seat clamp (both different diameters to the old frame).

Other than the brake hoses being too short (which I don’t think they are), I think I can build this up in an evening, gears sorted and all. If not, shouldn’t be more than another couple of hours.

I’m sure I’ll run into some snags along the way, but I can’t think of anything I have missed that will completely stop me.

I’ve even goto some helitape patches in for the frame, and will put a ‘MK1 chainstay protector’ (strip of inner tube and zipties) on before starting to put any components on.

I am really, really looking forward to getting out on it at the first opportunity!

dannyh
    Free Member

New frame ordered!

For those of you who don’t like lifting your bikes over the gates and stiles on our rides, I refer you to the below video.

http://singletrackworld.com/2013/09/chris-akrigg-trial-trails

FTFY -Mod 🙂

dannyh
    Free Member

That could have worked better. I am useless with technology!

Look at it on the STW homepage.

I bet he has three weetabix.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Riding my local DH 🙂

rascal
    Free Member

Injured leg (pulled calf muscle running for bus last night!) means Weds night is a no-no for me.
    Desperate to join the NWLRC again but with work and injury it just ain’t happening at the mo 🙁
    Pretty naffed off about it TBH. Enjoy the ride – will be dark early now 😯

dannyh
    Free Member

Sorry – I’m going to have to bail on this week as well.

I need to do most of my new bike build up tomorrow evening in order to have it ready for an away day on Sunday. Other evenings this week are already partially occupied with other stuff.

I have not helped by predicament by cocking up the ordering process wit On-One so that it has delayed delivery until tomorrow, otherwise there was a (very outside) chance of me being able to bring it on the ride tomorrow night.

I will be there next week, though. New bike in tow.

Have fun tomorrow night – to quote Rob Warner on the DH world cup at the weekend, “it’s wetter than Prince Philip’s underpants”. Should be some slip-sliding action to get your teeth into, which I am actually quite looking forward to getting out in.

alanl
    Free Member

I’ll be there, forecast is ok for tomorrow.
    7pm at the pub?

muddyfool

I’m not going to make it tonight I’m afraid – hopefully next week though!

Danny: Plus when his co-commentator tried to apologise for any offence caused. Warner’s reply was “It’s ok, I don’t think he’s listening” 🙂

alanl
    Free Member

Is anyone else going?
    If not, I wont bother, and just stay local here

rascal
    Free Member

It’s lovely out there…looks good enough for a bike ride even!
    Shame I can’t go 😕

scandal42
    Free Member

I have finished work in a nice timely fashion so if the mass majority cant make it I might get out in the next 30 minutes or so why the light is still here?

fathomer

Stuck at work again 🙁

However, I’m on holiday next week so baring booking a week in the sun somewhere (yeah I wish) I’ll be about next week!

dannyh
    Free Member

Anyone make it out last night?

My dream bike build degenerated into a nightmare last night.

Firstly, the right bb cup wouldn’t go in, an issue, but not a show stopper necessarily.

But then disaster as I tried to put the rear wheel in, and it just wouldn’t fit into the dropouts. On closer inspection, the gear hanger has been hit from behind, probably in transit, and narrowed the open end of the slot.

So after getting a frame sent within 2 working days of order, I am on the “send us a photo, then we will tell you what to do” wagon.

But I am not going down that road, more specifically I’m going up the M1 to Rotherham on Saturday morning to get the frame switched in person.

The glitch with this is that they can’t press in headset cups as they don’t have mechanics on Saturday, so it’s back down to pedal power in Loughborough to beg them to press the headset on Saturday.

Assuming this ALL goes exactly to plan, I might just make the peaks ride I am meant to be doing Sunday. If not, I’m probably shafted for next Wednesday as well as I have no other time I can get the headset in.

I am, probably understandably, really pissed off with this now. On the plus side, my partial build has not even scratched any paint off of the frame (apart from around the dropouts), so he shop don’t have a leg to stand on (I hope) if they don’t offer an exchange.

Here’s hoping for a happy resolution.

Why is it always me?

phil56

I can lend you a headset press, or do it for you early next week, if you get stuck – in South Leics.

dannyh
    Free Member

Phil

Thanks for the offer, I may well take you up on that!

There will be a post on this thread on Saturday afternoon if I need it!

Thanks again, I really don’t want to have to go down the ‘blocks of wood and a hammer’ route with a brand-new frame.

rascal
    Free Member

How many brave soldiers made it out on Weds?
    If I don’t make it next week I’m gonna sell my bike for all the bloody use it’s getting at the mo!

muddyfool

Good luck getting it sorted Danny, what a nightmare! I’m sure you’ll get it built soon and it’ll be worth it in the end, but the offer is still there to borrow my old/commuter bike if it isn’t sorted by Weds (and if we can figure out how to get it there!)

johnny

Going to be up in Ravenstone over the weekend, visiting relatives, I’m planning to go for a rumble round Hicks lodge early on Sunday. Anyone else about? Used to ride round Ticknall area a bit, back in the day… Always good to see how its changed!

dannyh
    Free Member

Hi all NWL Riders club members. The Evo has landed. Well, I had to go and fetch it, but well worth it. A big thumbs up to Pedal Power for pressing the headset in on a Saturday.

The rest of the build took three hours. I needed to file the lacquer and paint from out of the dropouts to get the wheel in. It’s still a bit tight, but nothing a bit of brute force won’t overcome.

It’s going for its baptism of fire in the dark peak tomorrow, then I’ll be out on Wednesday evening. Yay.

7 o’clock in the pub car park?

See you there.

sparkerfix

@johnny.

We’ll be about sometime tomorrow morning. Hicks usually forms post ride coffee and cake.

dannyh
    Free Member

Hey people.

The evo got a run in the peaks today and it absolutely blew me away, descending in particular. The rocky as hell stuff was more of a buzz than a series of slams as it was on my alu hardtail. I was unfit and really suffered on the climbs, but the evo being a fair bit longer in the front centre meant that it felt easier to climb on than the old one as I was a bit more stretched out.

In short, I am pretty chuffed.

Now then, who’s out on Wednesday?

By the way, I am probably going to try to get a pass for another Saturday or Sunday in the peaks soon, so if anyone fancies it, then let me know.

rascal
    Free Member

Providing I don’t get shafted in work AGAIN on Weds I will be there. Leg seems to be a lot better though may feel it on climbs – have to wait and see – 7 in the Man Within Compass pub car park.
    Danny – I’ll be up for a Peaks ride soon – keep us posted…cheers

twonks

I’ll be there this Wednesday 😀

Will only have an hour or so but shall ride what I can 🙂

scandal42
    Free Member

How was the new steed Danny?

dannyh
    Free Member

The new steed was a bit of a revelation if I’m honest!

The supposed weight penalty didn’t really make a difference because:

A) I am quite unfit at the moment

and

B) Because the frame seems to fit me much better than the previous one, the slightly more stretched out position makes climbing more comfortable

When pointing it downhill, the alchemy seemed to happen. The head angle is way slacker than the genesis, so it was really stable and the front tracked up and over any rocks that my skills meant I didn’t avoid. The ‘steel feel’ is definitely there – the really rocky bits were much more of a ‘buzz’ than a series of ‘slams’ as they were on the old bike.

If I had had a bit more left in the tank for the downhills, I would have been able to ride them probably 5% faster, then I’m sure the extra zip and zing would have been even more evident.

So yes, well chuffed.

I just need to re-cable and service my dropper post to make it more suitable for the shorter ups and downs round here – hopefully before Wednesday evening.

See you wednesday?

7pm Man Within Compass car park.

dannyh
    Free Member

Right then folks.

Quick roll-call for tomorrow evening – who is in at the moment.

I will be there – the 7 o’clock meet gives me time to go home first and get changed, but I will be there at 7 or a bit before.

Come on, I need someone to show off the new rig to………

Even the dropper wasn’t a problem in the end – the cable is just long enough!

scandal42
    Free Member

I have just had a glorious local ride. A good 12 miles of mainly off road bliss in great weather. Snapped a spoke coming down Bardon Hill though 🙁

Is there and danger to riding with 1 spoke less?

Oh and my other issue is how the hell do I attach a light to and endur-o-matic?

I will find a solution and join you for a dark ride.

Oh and the woods are running glorious, apart from the slick, greasy death stones 😯

scandal42
    Free Member

Bloody phone

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 1,380 total)

The topic ‘Whitwick / Coalville / NW Leicestershire Riders’ is closed to new replies.