Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 1,380 total)
  • Whitwick / Coalville / NW Leicestershire Riders
  • dannyh
    Free Member

Scandal – should have one on my multi – if I remember I’ll have a look before riding down…….

fathomer

Unfortunately I’m busy tonight so won’t be out 🙁

Have a good ride, see you after Christmas and New Year,(unless anyone is out in-between)

fatbob44

Scandal – I will have a t25 with me in case danny doesn’t have one.

Sounds like it could be building up for a bit of a wet n windy one, all adds to the fun!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scandal42
    Free Member

Cheers both.

Looks like my light has not arrived so I will be riding with a very makeshift helmet set-up that I am hoping lasts the distance (probably wont)

Also still have blocked sinus issues so apologies in advance for plodding along at the back holding you up.

Wind is building as we speak 😀

jez130
    Free Member

Don’t think i will be-able to make it tonight as im a bit busy.Its given out gales and heavy rain anyway. And don’t think its an excuse because its my round for the drinks. Lol.

Guess we wont be going next wednesday. Don’t think the wife’s would let us go somehow. We will probebly be to bloated and pissed by 7pm anyway.

scandal42
    Free Member

Just putting this out there now in case you see it.

Not 100% for tonight 😥

If I’m not there by 5 past go without. Feeling shitter as the day has gone on, I’ve had the same cold for about 2 bloody weeks and started to feel worse today.

So pissed off, although you pair will be able to ride freely without me (not biked in 3 weeks)

dannyh
    Free Member

Well, Bob and I had an interesting bike ride this evening. No mechanicals, thankfully, but Bob’s bar light did go into ‘disco’ mode about halfway around. He still did a bloody good job of riding using only a helmet light, though. And on a rigid singlespeed!

To say the weather was ‘challenging’ wouldn’t really do it justice. At one point, at the top of and coming down from a well-known local hill, I would say the weather became ‘extreme’. I can remember only one occasion on which rain hitting my face and eyes has hurt more. I would say the gusts were probably 50mph ish, and with driving rain, it certainly built a little extra character. Anyhow, still two good hours of riding, and we didn’t see a single soul other than in cars. So the Wednesday evening ride was kept going. Over to the rest of you for next Wednesday………..

We didn’t bother with the pub, it would have been embarrassing.

Scandal, if you are feeling a bit iffy, it was a good one to miss!

Keep your eyes peeled for stuff on here about the next ride. Let’s start the new year as we mean to go on.

rascal
    Free Member

Fair play to you both! You would have def earned your ale tonight.
    I hope to get a bit of biking mojo back in 2014 and should be able to make a few more rides.
    Will be in south Wales next Weds (is there something happening that day?) but may be up for a NYD ride – maybe even during the day?? Like you say, start us we mean to go on!

scandal42
    Free Member

😯

Looked outside about 7.30 ish and felt for you pair.

Well done for completing the ride in that weather.

I felt shit and seeing the weather building forced my hand, im starting to think its a chest infection or something as its hanging around for weeks.

Hoping to clear up in the coming days and get out on Sunday, possibly for a sunrise ride over your way.

Good stuff chaps

muddyfool

I wouldn’t normally consider myself a fair weather rider but I think last night would’ve been too much even without the never-ending cold and dodgy knee. Well done for getting out there!

Oh wait, you didn’t go to the pub after? Disqualified for failing to complete the course, I’m afraid. 😉

dannyh
    Free Member

Oh wait, you didn’t go to the pub after? Disqualified for failing to complete the course, I’m afraid.

(Hangs head in shame).

You are quite right – this was a ‘fail’.

On the other side of the argument, though – you could argue that we saved the Curzon as a post-ride pint destination as going in there in the state we were in could have led to a ban.

Every single item of clothing I was wearing could be wrung out.

Just on the very slim chance – any takers for the Peaks tomorrow? Will be a bit draughty and a bit cold, but I think the forecast is still holding for a (relatively) OK day………………

jez130
    Free Member

You two are proper double hard. Will have to sort something out xmas week.

scandal42
    Free Member

Danny,

Im guessing you had an absolute cracker in the peaks today matey, fantastic weather and no weekend crowds.

dannyh
    Free Member

You are indeed correct. The peaks today were lovely. Virtually no one about. I saw a handful of walkers and only two other ‘friendlies’ all day.

I was definitely ‘breaking trail’ for the first few miles as I was cracking through the ice on the puddles.

The first part of potato alley was interesting just after midday. Started off at a reasonable, but conservative pace only to arrive on the first steepish bit to find ICE! Didn’t clock it until I was already committed, but it wasn’t a complete icy sheet, so got away with it. It hadn’t occurred to me that this was the only descent that is north-facing and in the open.

Lockerbrook was also interesting in one spot as the mud and leaves have disguised all the gaps and rocks in one spot, again too late I adopted a ‘point and hope’ approach. Again, got away with it.

All in all a nice day out, the lack of other people meant I didn’t absolutely gun it downhill, just in case, but the general scenery, weather etc more than made up for it. I got back to the car just as the wind and rain really picked up, so got lucky there too.

I can confirm, however, that 1×10 is not currently flattering me on the steeper climbs 😳

Still, I made it up some steep bits with a combination of determination and brute force.

rascal
    Free Member

Not really around much in the next week or so, so just wanted say ‘Nadolig Llawen’* to all the NWLRC members – hope you have a good one and let’s try and all get back on track next year with all this Xmas sh*t outta the way! 😉

* Merry Christmas of course!

dannyh
    Free Member

Yep, I’ll second that from rascal.

We can take a rain check on tomorrow night’s ride if you like. I’m thinking of trying to escape on Friday evening, though – if anyone is interested!?

Anyhow, until the next NWLRC rendezvous, Merry Christmas!

jez130
    Free Member

Merry xmas to all nwlrc. Ill be up for friday evening.

muddyfool

Happy Christmas all, and blwyddyn newydd dda to rascal (been drinking with my welsh-ish dad tonight!)

Have a good one, hope to be back out riding soon.

scandal42
    Free Member

Merry Christmas to all nwlrc members and family.

Drink and be merry

dannyh
    Free Member

Tomorrow (Friday 27th) night at 7pm in the Woodhouse Eaves village car park for those who want to work off half a Christmas dinner or so!

Stick a reply on here if you are coming, if not I’ll head out alone……….

jez130
    Free Member

I will be there all being well

schmiken

I might drag myself out for a ride, hopefully see you there!

schmiken

Also, where is the car park? I normally ride out from home so wouldn’t be sure of the meeting point.

dannyh
    Free Member

The car park is next to the village hall on Main Street. I don’t know which direction you are coming from, but if you come from Quorn, turn left at the bulls head – that is Main Street. The car park is a couple of hundred yards down in your left.

schmiken

Cool, see you there!

scandal42
    Free Member

Have a (nother) family engagement tomorrow night 🙁

Have a great ride chaps

dannyh
    Free Member

Jez and Schmiken.

I’m really sorry fellas, but I’m going to bail on tonight. I know it’s a shit thing to do (and to leave it this late in the day), but I’m coming down with acute man flu as we speak.

I am at work, and I have been trying to convince myself all day that it is just a sniffle and it will pass etc – but i’ve now got the sweats and feel pretty crap. I think a blanket on the sofa is more appropriate compared to a couple of hours sweating and shivering around in the wind.

If possible, can you please reply to this to let me know you got the message – if not, I’ll drive down to the car park at 7pm to make sure you’re not standing around unnecessarily.

Sorry again.

jez130
    Free Member

Thats ok. Sort something out for next week. Hopefully you will be better then. Got loads of new bits for my bike so give me a chance to get them all fitted.

dannyh
    Free Member

Phew – that’s one down, one to go – feeling really shite – don’t really want to leave the house again once I get home!

Flop down on sofa and let the kids beat the crap out of me is about all I can envisage doing!

jez130
    Free Member

Not been on my bike for 15 days now. Might venture up peak district on sunday. What was the route you did when u went last?

schmiken

Thanks for coming out and letting me know chap!

dannyh
    Free Member

It was the least I could do after ‘advertising’ a ride, then bailing on it myself!

We ride pretty regularly on Wednesday evenings, and have only missed one or two since August, so the offer is always there!

Hope you had a good one anyway, wish I could have managed it, but am currently not feeling very chipper.

scandal42
    Free Member

Sorry to hear it Danny

I have been struggling with It for 3 weeks solid now, im getting a bit fed up to be honest.

dannyh
    Free Member

Cheers scandal. There’s going to be some manning up in a day or so from me.

Jez. I basically did the following route (I hope you know the names).

Started at Ladybower Inn. Climbed up through the nature reserve to Whinstone Lee Tor. Descended Derwent Edge (ending on the flags). Rode round the reservoir to Fairholmes visitor centre. Took road back along other side of reservoir to Bridge End car park. Climb steep bridleway. Right at top. Along to Hagg Farm switchbacks. Descend these. Cross A57 and carry on to bottom. Along for a bit to foot of the beast. Pushed up beast as concessional track is now closed I am told. Right at hope cross, descend potato alley. Cross A57. Up through Rowlee Farm to junction at top of Hagg Farm. Turn left and ride to Lockerbrook. Descend screaming mile. Right on road back to Fairholmes. Ride round to bottom of flags. Revers the first climb and descent.

That should keep you busy for 4-5 hours. I like it as a solo winter route as there are loads of ways to bail if something goes wrong. The Kinder circuit (for example) is slightly risky as a solo when the days are short as it doesn’t really have any bailouts if you have a mechanical or a stack.

rascal
    Free Member

Anyone out riding tomorrow (Mon)?
    Might be up for a local pootle PM with a few mates (Non NWLRC) over Swithland way if anyone fancies it…cheers

jez130
    Free Member

Happy new year to all nwlrc.

rascal
    Free Member

What Jez said.
    Saying it now as I shall be in no fit state come 12pm 😉

rascal
    Free Member

…or even 12am 🙄

dannyh
    Free Member

Yes, happy new year to all the NWLRC. Let’s make 2014 our best riding year ever(!)

Man flu peaked Sunday and yesterday, but had to go to cousins wedding yesterday. I didn’t know I was such a good actor.

There’s an outside chance I might get a sneaky evening outing in tomorrow, but it’s by no means a cert, so I won’t ‘advertise’ it like last Friday 😳

Joking aside, all the best for the new year.

ruffride
    Free Member

What days do you all go an anyone from swadlincote way, never been that way done the local bits round here robins an the other bits would like to find more close

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 1,380 total)

The topic ‘Whitwick / Coalville / NW Leicestershire Riders’ is closed to new replies.