Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • White Peak night riding options?
  • gallowayboy

We’re off to Hartington for three nights this weekend, we’ll have the bikes with us but is it worth taking lights and doing a night ride from the door?
    Looking at the map Biggin dale seems to offer a start, but not knowing the terrain, any local tips/circuits would be much appreciated.
    Cheers in advance.

jekkyl

have you ridden anything round that way before?
    there are quite a few decent mtb routes nearby but on the doorstep BUT they are all likely to be slop fest mud at this time of the year.
    An easy one but without any tech would be to cycle to Carsington water, go round it and back again. The path round Carsington water is far from flat and has many ups and downs, would probably be a decent night ride from hartington but would include some road but likely very very quiet indeed. There’s a decent pub called the knockerdown just on the road out 😉
    If you want to sample some proper peak district rocks then 30 minutes driving would get you to Wildboarclough free carpark at the bottom of Cumberland Brook. From there you could do an easy-up route on road for 3 (or 4) great descents around the area known as Macc Forest.
    Let me know if I can help you further. The macc forest route isn’t really for novices or children I would say, espicially if attempting at night.

edit: for guaranteed smiles perfect for night riding, Cannock is an hour from Hartington.

gallowayboy

Thanks Jekkyl, not ridden in the area, but familiar with limestone/clay slop from climbing trips years ago! Used to Calderdale night rides; I think we’ll give Macc forest a look during the day – i’ve had a look on heatmap for a start – can always do a late afternoon, hour of dark. Then feet up with a beer, Can’t see my lad being enthused by Carsington!!
    Cheers

jekkyl

cool, if you need any tips or possibly a gpx for a route just say. If you’re after tech than that’s your closest bet (apart from Hollinsclough but that would not be suitable for a night ride at all) I’ve been up macc forest loads and plenty of others on here have too. email on profile.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘White Peak night riding options?’ is closed to new replies.