Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • White Mounth Munros
  • davegt
    Free Member

Morning Folks

Wondering what this route is like? I walked it about 25 years ago and my only memory is getting sun stroke in late September.

Thinking of an anti clockwise route – ascending the hike a bike up lochnagar first.

What is the route like to Cairn Bannoch? From there to Broad Cairn and back I am familiar with the route. Its just that wild section in the middle – is it ridable? Boggy? Rocky?

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Dave

ross16v
    Free Member

I did this route (also anti clockwise) last summer with a couple of pals and aside from the hike a bike to the top of Lochnagar it was all very rideable. It was reasonably dry when we did it so not too boggy thankfully. From memory, the middle section you mention, after the decent from Lochnagar (or maybe the second peak), could perhaps get boggy if it had been wet in the days leading up to your cycle.

chickenman

Folk often ride this in reverse so they can descend to Glas allt Shiel. Really though it would ride better anticlockwise as it’s essentially downhill the whole way. Cairn Bannoch all very ridable, descent off Broad Cairn a boulder field for the first stretch.
    I heard Loch Muick road was closed, in which case a ride starting from Braemar, through the royal forest, track round Ripe Hill into atv track leading up to the normal way up Lochnagar. Then ride the three White Mounth munros and descend to Loch Callater. Ace descent.

enmac
    Free Member

The clockwise route is a regular ride for us – Loch Muick, Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, part way up Carn t’Sagairt Mor, Lochnagar, then down Glas alt Shiel back to Loch Muick. The route is pretty clear (except the Broad Cairn boulder field) and not boggy. I wouldn’t recommend doing this anti-clockwise – the path up Broad Cairn has recently been ‘improved’ and wouldn’t make a great descent. A better clockwise route would be from Braemar, up Lochnagar going over the top of Carn t’Sagairt Mor and getting the excellent descent down to Loch Callater.

hairyscary

Hi Dave,

I did this route (clockwise) back in October last year after a bit of a dry spell.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4142007367

The only boggy bit I can remember was a tiny bit of the Glittering Skerries.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Good stuff hairy, I’ll be nabbing that route!.

davegt
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Hairy – cheers for the Strava link.

We are now thinking of riding from Ballater up the Glen, then do the 5 anticlockwise then head off road back to Ballater. Should be a big day!

I like the idea of the ascent from Braemar, bagging the 3 then down jocks road.

Decisions decisions…

hairyscary

I like the idea of the ascent from Braemar, bagging the 3 then down jocks road.

I was thinking of doing that route today, but I won’t have time (picking up a car in Kirkaldy at 1pm. They couldn’t have it ready earlier ☹️).

I believe that the descent to Loch Callater is a good one.

Good stuff hairy, I’ll be nabbing that route!.

Cool. The detour up Jocks Road, Glittering Skerries to Balnagowan was hard work. Probably worth it for the scenery though.

GavinB

I did a variation of this a few years back, except we rode from Loch Muick over to Glen Esk first, to do the superb Capel Mounth descent, then headed clockwise around to Lochnagar, finishing by riding the Glas Alt path.

https://www.strava.com/activities/708807397

An option of adding in the descent to Loch Callater would be good, although might need to work out the logistics.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘White Mounth Munros’ is closed to new replies.