• This topic has 14 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Del.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • white industries singlespeed freewheel
  • cmyk
    Free Member

does anyone have any experience of these?
    how long do they last between services?
    i have always thought that i was better off buying ten cheapo freewheels for that price-but having destroyed two in the past month riding to work in the crappy conditions, i’m not so sure!
    many thanks.

clubber
    Free Member

The WI ones look good and are rebuildable but they still aren’t as reliable as a standard cassette rear wheel if my mates’ experiences are anything to go by.

Unless you really can’t bear the aesthetics of running a rear wheel with a sprocket and spacers then I just don’t see any advantage or point in running a SS specific (Screw on type at least, not the cassette type SS specific ones) rear wheel.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

I find clubbers comment interesting.I’ve suffered the same as cmyk and am now wondering whether to get a WI freewheel or get a new rear wheel and spacers/sproket set up.

Preferences/Pros/Cons????

crazy-legs

I thought the same about cheapo freewheels; my first Shimano freewheel lasted ages, the second died really quickly so I bought a WI and so far it’s been flawless. Just got back from a ride on my SS actually.
    It’s still fairly new (about 3-4 months old) and it hasn’t needed a service yet.

speaker2animals

I’ve had mine about 18 months. Commuting and easy to mid level offroading. I’m 105kg so can exert some force through drive train. Haven’t touched my WI apart from a wipe off now and again.

I’d be happy to look at one again depending on cost. With current £ 2 $ exchange could be Very expensive.

How about the Hope SS specific hub? The freehub on these should be rebuildable too.

Del

been running one for a couple of years. used at least once a week, if not three times, and that once a week is probably circa 1200m rise and fall and around 25-30k. have replaced one bearing ( tenner posted from sideways cycles, rang after lunch, arrived next day ). i got mine in the US cheap, but Charlie has them for about 60 quid i think? and i’d buy again at that price.

tim41
    Free Member

Very reliable compared to the shimano or acs freewheels in my experience. Nice smooth click too.
    A year or so ago they could be had from the US for around £45. As above, probably a lot more at the current exchange rate.
    Servicing is pretty easy, but new bearings aren’t particularly cheap. I actually wore out the teeth on my 1st one in about 18 months use. I decided it was better/cheaper to get a complete new one rather than the ‘Trigger’s brush’ type approach of new sprocket and bearing.

Del

oh! and if you have a wheel suitable for a screw on freewheel they’re worth it, yes. if building from scratch, maybe not, but a mate tried a ‘wide based steel cog in steel’ to fit a freehub, and he got through that really quite quickly indeed.

tim41
    Free Member

I stand corrected – only a tenner for the bearing according to Del

cmyk
    Free Member

hmm, thanks everyone.
    think i might go for it and get one.
    charlie the bikemonger seems to be the cheapest.

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

Had mine for a couple of years. They need servicing though.

llama

Now 2 winters of no service and still seems OK. Pretty well used, solo races, through above hub level water a couple of times, that sort of thing.

I think you would have to get a highish end freehub to match it for reliability, e.g. hope or xt.

basic revolver SS hub + WI freewheel is about £120

regular hope rear hub plus a cog and spacers is about £140

Not much to choose if starting from blank but as you already have a wheel, I say get one.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Mr C.T. Bikemonger does not appear to have any 16t WIs – neither does Tim Sideways. 🙁

llama

17t ones have different bearings which are more reliable. Or that is what I’ve been told, no direct experience. Anyway I run 17/32

Del

send him an email. he might find one down the back of the sofa.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘white industries singlespeed freewheel’ is closed to new replies.