Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Whitby to Scarborough Cinder Track – road bike okay?
  • jackthedog
    Free Member

As per title, heading out that way soon, will have a road bike with me. Wondering if the route is comfortably passable on 23c tyres.

Is it just your typical Sustrans type railway trail stuff?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Some of the stuff around Robin Hood’s Bay is quite rutted and rough, it’s passable on a road bike but won’t be pleasant and I wouldn’t bother.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I’d say the same. You could manage it, but the road bike wouldn’t be best suited, I’d say it’s the very definition of a track for hybrid bikes.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

Stainypants

Is it any good for kids ? My 5 and 6 year olds can ride about 15-20 miles so couldn’t do the whole thing, which is the best section ?

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Whitby to Ravenscar and back is good. I’ve seen loads of kids cycling along there as well. There are no steep hills as it’s all along the old railway and coming back is mainly a downhill roll. If I go I park up on larpool lane and join the track near the viaduct at Whitby.

richpips
    Free Member

I’ve done it with my wife and kids. A nice route.

As ^^^^ I wouldn’t advise skinny slick tyres.

T666DOM

I Road it on Sunday on my cross bike with 35c tyres. Managed it fine, the track is nice and dry. I had a cracking ride and didn’t feel beaten up by the end. You’ll have your fillings rattled with 23c tyres. The track is quite rough between Robin Hood s Bay and Ravenscar, also on the drop into Burniston. I’d say it’s easily passable on a road bike with a bit of care.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Whitby to Scarborough Cinder Track – road bike okay?’ is closed to new replies.