Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Whistler xc loop GPX
  • AdamT

Hi there. I’m planning a Whistler xc ride tomorrow and whilst all the maps etc are great, I wonder if anyone has a GPX that links some of the classics together? If anyone is also here, then happy for some company.

AdamT

Happy with 4+hr ride

EddieFiola
    Free Member

If you have about 4-5hrs I’d do the mystic climb and then lord of the squirrels which is awesome. Or go to loggers lake or the trails around lost lake are fantastic and you can make it up as you go along then cross the big road and take in cut your bars. I left this morning or I would of taken you out. Alternatively you can go up that hideous fire road and ride micro climate.
    All of those are in riding distance from the town centre.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ll vouch the microclimate climb is harsh, but worth it (bit more trail than xc) you can then go up and hit the end of comfortably numb (foreplay) on the end of that. Was a nice loop last week.

BearBack
    Free Member

Hard for me to suggest a loop without seeing you ride as targetting rides to individual ability/fitness/aspirations/expectations is a process that our guides work on with dinner chats and wheels on the ground assessment and changes depending on how guests respond on the ride.
    4-5 hours might not see you with enough time to get up and down Lord of the squirrels in the same way that a full pull on comfortably numb is anywhere from a 3-9 hour ride depending on where you fit in the spectrum.
    As far as classics, west side,piece of cake, ala mode into lower sproat/danimal north. Whip me snip me to lower 27, bobs rebob and get over it into river runs through it.

South side with farside, LSD, far out, hihi, Highline, climb to tunnel vision, kadenwood to big timber.

For more tech…
    …Yummy numby into foreplay is great. tech climb, tech descent.

Kill me thrill me into North secret then comfortably numb into Jeff’s as a quick Peel out.

Just some of the many options.
    Have fun out there

AdamT

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. No idea where I really am fitness-wise, but average around 120-160 road miles a week in the chilterns and used to race a bit, but things are so much bigger around here! 🙂 Was thinking comfortably numb, but will look over the other options. I don’t really need to be back for a particular time, so could extend it out if needed.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mates I was with steered me away from that as I was on a 160/170mm bike 😉 lots of pedalling out there. The option I did gets the end (mostly down) in and skipped the long slogs.

For more tech…
    …Yummy numby into foreplay is great. tech climb, tech descent.

This
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/X7MbwL]IMG_20170813_120452[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/Ws4jrE]IMG_20170813_113053_1[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/Ws4kz1]IMG_20170813_124447[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Felt very quiet out there on Sunday (EWS day) so would have felt better with some mates around
    18km/850m up meant it was a decent day on the legs but mostly the downs were down not undulating
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1132373563

AdamT

Thanks Mike, looks like a nice ride. I can always bomb about around lost lake if I have more time.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I was also still feeling bit ill and unfit coming out of winter so the pace can easily go up with less walking to admire the mist…

markgraylish
    Free Member

Kill Me Thrill Me (going east/north) then up the Comfortably Numb climb but nip out and do the Out There descent (a couple of dodgy sections you’ll want to have a look at before riding) then back to town via Kill Me Thrill Me in the opposite direction if you’re still feeling strong, or via the road/valley trail system if you’re tired (or Sea To Sky trail into the Lost Lake maze)

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’d probably bounce around and ride a few trails on Westside for a decent loop, if you drop down the to the road and climb back up from there, it’s not too savage a climb (other than the bit by the water tower).

The climb up to Microclimate/Crazy Train is savage to do more than once.

BearBack
    Free Member

So, what did you end up riding?
    We had some of our guests up riding ‘mystic squirrels’.. 4hour riding time, 40km, 1500m, 7+hour ride.
    Superb day!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/-wLLWHyxWbk[/video]

Does the mobile paste work…
    My go at microclimate and a bit of comfortably numb, nice and misty up there. Shame I was riding crap and worried about not been found for a week or eaten by a bear if I crashed 🙂

BearBack
    Free Member

You did make it back right Adam?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

We had some of our guests up riding ‘mystic squirrels’.. 4hour riding time, 40km, 1500m, 7+hour ride.

Was up there yesterday as well, might well of spotted you or even stopped for a chat. Great day out on the bike.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I guess the Bears were hungry, goodbye Adam.

AdamT

Hi all. I ended up doing pretty much exactly mike’s route above with a little extra at the start and some at the end. When I’m back at a PC i can share some pics. It was amazing. Micro climate had me peg legging down the odd bit, but the end of comfortably numb was fabulous. The trails are super dusty though, so in some ways I was glad I was riding alone! The ladder crossing of the creek a yummy Numby was really pretty. We’ve shifted our transfer back to Vancouver a little later in the day, so might get some more riding in. Thanks to all who posted above. I found myself thinking ‘good ole STW for getting me on the right path’ a couple of times. Karma++ to you all.

AdamT

@whatnobeer, wasn’t me. I only saw one other group up there. 2 kids + mom + coach.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Whistler xc loop GPX’ is closed to new replies.