Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Whistler trip, should I avoid during Crankworx?
  • devbrix
    Free Member

Lucky to be planning first trip to Whistler in August (has to be August) and quite fancy timing it for Crankworx, but will it be stupidly busy on the trails then and will spend more time queuing than riding or is it soooo big it doesn’t make much of a difference?

hot_fiat

I was there the week before crankworx last year, with the family in-tow. I hope it was busier than normal because, having managed to escape the family for 1 day, I ended up queuing for an hour to collect my pass (which I’d ordered the day before to specifically avoid the queues) and then another hour to get up the main lift. Efficiency seemed to be sorely lacking.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Question is, it depends. There is a lot going on, with lots of events and trail closures but there is a whole mountain to consider. The Fitz loft is generally the only busy one, so you can upload from Creekside with no queues, and Garbo is generally quiet.

Obviously the valley trails are always quiet, apart from probably EWS weekend.

It is bloody busy, bars and restaurants are packed, but it’s certainly an experience.

tomhoward

It’s a bit busier in the lift lines, but out on the trails it’s not an issue. The only thing is the trails have had pretty much a whole season of hammer, they do maintain them, but it get a lot of use…

Occasional trail closures, but never more than a morning or afternoon at a time.

Obvs the whole town is loads busier too, for bars and restaurants etc.

nickc

There’s a single rider queue for the lift, so it shouldn’t be too bad, and there’s also the creek-side lift which is always less busy and now they’ve built a bunch of new trails on that side of the hill as well.

EddieFiola
    Free Member

Ive gone at Crankworx time, there is loads to look at and the town is buzzing in a good way. If i was to go again id definitely go at this time.
    If youre looking for accommodation we use Bob Wipers Condos, cheap and good.

timbog160

I went for the first time last year at crankworx time. It was fine – a bit more queuing but was happy for the break to be honest, and not a problem out on the trails. Plus you get to spot a few stars. My lad shared a chairlift with ALN!!

sharkattack

I’m thinking of a Whistler trip this year as well so I won’t start another thread. I’ve been a few times before but the last time was in 2010 and it seems like prices have rocketed since then, along with Airbnb taking over the whole of BC. It seems like it’s harder to do a low budget, dirtbag style trip these days. I think I paid £720 for a month in a shared house the first time I went.

We’re also limited to August so Crankworx might be unavoidable but having seen it before, given the choice I’d dodge it. The whole place is just totally rammed with people. Not in a bad way, but I’m not going for the parties this time.

If anyone has any tips for a double room suitable for me and the Mrs. for 2 or 3 weeks I’m all ears.”Bob Wipders Condos” isn’t bringing anything up on the Google.

BearBack
    Free Member

With the ews being a multistage bike park event last year, closures were rampant on certain days.
    Line ups are brutal particularly on the weekend but even through cwx weekdays too.
    With the volume of visitors that event sees you’ll need to be organised and if you haven’t already booked accomm, most of the well priced stuff will have gone.
    Great event and a great experience, as long as you’re prepared to do 25% fewer bike park laps, spend a bunch more and be exposed to the industry (brands, athletes, events, party’s)

walleater

If you actually want to check out Crankwork then you can make it work. Get up early and up Fitz, then do Garbo and Creekside laps and just drop into the Village when you need to. IMHO, the slopestyle is the only thing really worth checking out from watching riders live perspective and it is pretty mind-blowing. Everything else is just on a screen anyway and you can do that from home. Plenty of trade stands at the bottom if that’s your thing. Rammed bars etc. So yeah, it boils down to whether you want to check out the experience or prioritize riding and generally a more mellow Whistler experience. I went last year for long enough to down a sentimental beer in Longhorn before going to watch a movie instead. We were only ones in the cinema ha ha….

I’d say the optimum timing would be to land in time to watch Joyride / slopestyle on the final Saturday and do your riding during the following week or two but that might not be logistically possible. Everything in Whistler will be booked, but could potentially stay in the far superior town to the south (Squamish….ha) for a couple of nights first.

nickc

Just to add, I’ve been in the week after Crankworks, and the place was empty (the trails were pretty hammered though) so while every-one was breathing a bit of sigh of relief after the mad cacophony, it did have a bit of end of season vibe about the place. Did manage to get some merch. at silly discounts though without having to put up with the mad scrum in the village and crowded bars/restaurants…

sharkattack

Just to add, I’ve been in the week after Crankworks, and the place was empty

That’s what I remember from my last trip. Literally the Monday morning after there was thousands of people on the hill watching the Slopestyle finals, there was a bit of drizzle and everyone stayed home. I’d love to ride that week again.

I’ve just been pricing up flights and checking out VRBO etc.. It’s making my eyes water!

devbrix
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, really helpful. The prices are definitely eye watering but it’s a special trip for us as I’m retiring (albeit early) so I’m prepared to bite the bullet. Sounds like might be worth catching both Crankworx and the week after and getting then best of both worlds and getting uplift away from the main town.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Whistler trip, should I avoid during Crankworx?’ is closed to new replies.