• This topic has 21 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by ski.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Whisky or whiskey recommendations
  • isto
    Free Member

Hoping for a few suggestions on a good bottle of whisky/whiskey to give my dad as part of his 70th celebrations. Price range about £50 – £60 but can go slightly over as will be bought in duty free.

One I know he likes is Laphroaig but thought I would get him something different….but could still go with an Islay. As title suggests no preference on Scotch/Irish but wouldn’t be looking for a bourbon.

Any suggestions appreciated.

bob_summers

Lagavulin 16 falls neatly into that bracket, often cheaper.

Cougar

If he likes LP, I’d be looking at an Ardbeg. Or the Lagavulin as suggested.

Compass Box’s “Peat Monster” might be a nice leftfield choice for something that’s a present.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

no preference on Scotch/Irish

Don’t be so narrow minded. 😉

Yamazaki 12.

willard

Bruichladdich Optomor. Treat him.

ericemel
    Free Member

Big fan of Octomore, badass bottle too.

isto
    Free Member

Lagavulin sounds really good and am loving that compass box site….might have to treat myself to one of those sometime.

Don’t be so narrow minded. Yamazaki 12.

Yeah I have heard good things about Yamazaki, think for this present I was going for the more traditional approach but I definitely wont rule it out.

Bruichladdich Optomor. Treat him.

That does sound nice and the bottle looks amazing. He has already been well and truly treated however as his main present was a weeks sailing on a tall ship. This is just a wee surprise for the big day.

Cougar

Compass Box are a good bunch of guys, and they’re doing some imaginative stuff.

ton

I bought a bottle of macallan gold at the weekend. it is the opposite of what you are looking for, but it is bloody lovely.

isto
    Free Member

I bought a bottle of macallan gold at the weekend. it is the opposite of what you are looking for, but it is bloody lovely.

Sounds good will check it out. Not just looking for Peatey ones as he likes all sorts. One I was considering was Glenlivet 18.

dbcooper
    Free Member

A bad man I know is currently inhaling this stuff daily. He was previously a Laphroig addict.

Merak

Its a peaty beast, the Caol Ila. A nice smooth 15 year old Bowmore perhaps?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yet to try but Nant comes highly recommended. I’m just finishing up my Lagavulin 16, will pick up another next week when I hit duty free.

willard

Having just come back from Islay (visited all the distilleries) I am nt able to comment at all on which is best to buy. This is primarily because I was driving, so was unable to try even a fraction of all of them, so am unable to offer a reasoned answer.

However, I can honestly say that, if you do chose a whiskey from Islay, then he will not be disappointed in the slightest.

markfu
    Free Member

If you have the option of a duty free whisky, perhaps consider the Lagavulin 1997 Distillers Edition? I personally prefer the standard 16, but it is something a little different for him with a big sherry hit aswell as the peat.

One of my favourite Islays that i only discovered recently is Kilchoman Machir Bay. It’s only a young whisky but imo is as good as an Ardbeg 10 easily. A touch below your budget, but they do also do a more expensive cask strength version.

Away from Islay, how about an 18 year old Highland Park, still got that maritime edge to it, less peat, a bit of smoke, but from Orkney instead.

I am mainly into Islays/Islands, but if i fancy a change some of my personal favourite mainland drams are Glenfarclas 105, and some of Glenmorangie’s other tipples (Quinta Ruban, La Santa, etc) and i quite like a Dalmore aswell.

bam74
    Free Member

Bunnahabhain is nectar. Very smooth compared to the other Islay’s. Lagavulin 16yr old is nice as well.

bam74
    Free Member

+1 for the Highland Park 18. Unbelievably good.

ton

I was on Islay in September on the bike. the best malt I tasted was a cuvee from Bruichladdich. it was fabulous, but just out of my price range.

tomd
    Free Member

http://whisky.scotsman.com/flavourmap.aspx

Is quite a good simple guide. Note where the Laphroig sits. Going much past that you might want to consider washing out an old coal scuttle with TCP, letting the bits settle, setting it on fire and then bottling it.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Talisker is always worth a shout if it’s islands your after, but I’d avoid the port finish, works for Glenorangie, doesn’t for Talisker probably because Talisker has a stronger taste than Glenmorangie.
    Quinta Rubain for the port finish though, it’s a cracking drink.
    Singleton of Glen Ord is about as different as you can get, but is hard to get (only the distillery as far as I know).
    Fettercairn Fior is also a decent dram, smokey and a bit peatey with a nice sherry cask colour and finish (>£40 from the Whisky Exchange)Not widely available so makes it a bit different
    Oban is another favourite at the other end of the taste scale, lighter, bourbon cask finish with a touch of salt

Or – the scapa distillery was mothballed a few years ago being taken over by Pernod Ricard who have relaunched the brand. 16 yo is part of the new release (c£60 bottle, ok but not worth £60 IMO) but there are a few bottles of the pre mothball kicking about, currently about £100 (over budget, I know), which were selling for around £25 in 2007, so more a collectors thing than a drink.

isto
    Free Member

Cheers for all the suggestions, very helpful. Might see if I can sample some of those in a local bar and then make my mind up. Could be an expensive night. 😀

ski
    Free Member

One I know he likes is Laphroaig but thought I would get him something different

For something different and yes I am a big Laphroaig fan too check out the Penderyn Sherrywood, a recent blinder of a find for me, just wish I bought two bottles 😉

Otherwise you cannot go wrong with:

Caol Ila 12 YO
    Lagavulin 16 YO

If he lives close to the Cotswolds check out this new distillery and their offer on the first bottling:

http://www.cotswoldsdistillery.com/shop/spirits

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Whisky or whiskey recommendations’ is closed to new replies.