Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Whisky aficionados advice please for 50th gift
  • carlos
    Free Member

I know there are plenty of Whisky drinkers on here, so looking for some advice.

Its my best mates 50th next month and want to get him a decent whisky. He likes a dram now and again and only ever has it with just a drop of water. I’m not a whisky drinker at all and have no idea really where to start.

Budget around £70. (is that enough?)

Cheers
    Carlos

tuboflard

Any idea what his general go to whisky is? Single malt or blended? Preference for peaty or not? A few pointers to narrow it down else you’re in danger of getting a nice bottle of something but not to his taste.

Personally (and very much down to personal taste if it were for me) would be a Caol Ila or a Lagavulin.

alanl
    Free Member

Aberlour Abunadh is always a good choice.
    Described as ‘drinking a christmas cake’.
    However there was a big price hike last year, and it is £70 rather than £45ish 2 years ago, there is a piece about it in the link below, and some good alternatives listed there too.

Aberlour price hike

sparksmcguff

If he likes a drop of water in he’s possibly drinking something peaty. Lagavulin 16 would be a safe choice.

My favourites from Islay (where the water tastes of peat) are Caol ila and Bunnahabhain and find something at or around your price point.

Longrow Red can be very good too.

But if I really weren’t sure I’d get this:
    https://www.nickollsandperks.co.uk/Springbank-15-Year-Old-46_1

matt_outandabout

What’s on his shelf already, half (or more) drunk?

carlos
    Free Member

Hummm, I think he got a Glenmorangie something or other out last time, but has always got a couple in the cupboard on the go. Dont know what they are though

Pretty sure he’s a single malt man

lunge

Does it have to be Scotch? How about something a wee bit different?
    https://www.nickollsandperks.co.uk/Balcones-Texas-Single-Malt-Single-Barrel-Nickolls-And-Perks-Exclusive

Keva
    Free Member

Springbank 15yr old as mentioned ^^up there^^

kcal

Springbank is lovely and an interesting, complex whisky. good shout!

lister

It’s such a personal choice. There are whiskies I can’t drink and some I worship!
    Talisker or Highland Park are always lovely.

dantsw13

Something different. A Japanese whisky.

Nikka cask strength.

If he likes to drink with a little water this is perfect. And sublime!

kelvin

Talisker

Yum!

or Highland Park are always lovely.

Yuk!

[ I think that proves your point ]

dantsw13

I would recommend the other 2 Japanese ones in my stash, but the prices have jumped a little since I bought them in Tokyo!! Nikka Taketsuru 17 & 21. Purchased for about £50. Currently going online for £599 & £999 😳😳😳

mooman
    Free Member

The Islay`s are not to everyones taste; couple of my friends positively hate them!

Play it safe I suggest; get him a bottle of … Nikka Miyagikyo .. right on budget too.

mrb123
    Free Member

Safe bets would be Glanfarclas or Dalmore. Just get the oldest one you can find for your budget. There are usually a few options available on Amazon.

Dalmore do some nice gift packs with a couple of glasses and the whisky in.

gordimhor

It’s worth finding out a bit more about what he likes. Or the risk of going expensively wrong is high. Ask him or the person who knows him best what his favourite dram is.

nostoc
    Free Member

You will see a lot of online whisky bargains on the big favourites in the week or two before fathers day 21 June

duckman

Gordon and McPhail do a series called connoisseur’s choice,they buy up casks and release them. They are unusual and limited and numbered. If your mate tans it;fair enough, he isn’t going to get that malt in Tesco. However you can keep them as an investment, for example I have a 1971 Port Ellen that I bought in 2000 for £100 which is probably worth twenty times that….( I had 2 but opened one when I had mates over to celebrate the arrival of duckman Jr) now that’s an extreme example which predates the boom in collection, but for something a bit different that will appreciate its worth thinking about.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

TOMINTOUL 15 Y/O Portwood Finish 46% 70cl

Or any of their range, the first one I had was Tlath about 30 quid nectar of the gods.

hazmo

I was bought a bottle of Balvenie Week of the Peat which has been fabulous. I also bought Talisker Port Roughie for a friends birthday which has prompted a positive response from him. Such a subjective thing though; good luck!

EhWhoMe

Dalmore Cigar Malt is just splendid, and on the budget, also if it matters as its a 50th it looks really nice as well…lots of flavour, im yet to hear anyone not like it after giving out a dram with most going on to buying a bottle

EhWhoMe

If unsure if its his thing, id say best avoid peaty islays, even for whisky lovers, its can be love or hate from my experience, i like them, mates dont and sometimes even that i like them i have to be in the mood for one…just my opinion of course…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Whisky aficionados advice please for 50th gift’ is closed to new replies.