Whinlatter – not quite there

Home Forum Bike Forum Whinlatter – not quite there

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Whinlatter – not quite there
  • Premier Icon stilltortoise
    Subscriber

Had my first ride at Whinlatter this weekend. I couldn’t help feeling it didn’t quite fulfill its potential. Anyone else agree? I thought the downhills were great but it didn’t work as a whole for me. Just when I was getting into the swing of it I found myself back in the car park. Granted the conditions weren’t ideal – the low cloud and lack of any views meant it could have been anywhere. I guess the standard set by Glentress et al makes it difficult for others to live up to expectations…

grumm

Well it wasn’t all open…

I have only done the first bit (north loop) and kind of agree – the last dh section was ace fun but the rest of it wasn’t that amazing. Great views on a nice day though.

PeterPoddy

When will it all be open? Anyone know?

Premier Icon stilltortoise
    Subscriber

There were no closed bits when I was there (technically not the weekend – it was yesterday!)

grumm

Well have they just not updated the website then?

UPDATE ON ALTURA TRAIL CONDITIONS – 18th Feb 2009. South Loop is partially open (bottom half). The top half (to Hospital Fell ridge) is CLOSED to allow the trail to fully settle after a hard frost. Snow and ice have all melted. There is some trail maintenance work on the South loop which you may need to walk round.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/alturatrail

nickegg

I agree. We stayed in Thornthwaite for a week last September and so rode there alot. We too felt it was lacking somewhat!

My regular trail centres are Cwmcarn, Brechfa and Afan so i suppose i’m possibly spoiled somewhat. I feel alot more could be made of the elevation, on a fine day the views of Skiddaw are awesome though. The South side wasn’t complete when we were there but that does look better than the altura trail, more like Brechfa from what i can see.

In contrast we much prefered the North Face Trail at Grizedale. Probably because it was designed by the same team behind many of Afans trails and Cwmcarn also i think.

A chat in Keswick Mountain Bikes did reveal that funding has been agreed on more trails in the near future, i believe.

The long fire road section towards the top was a drag, perhaps they could add more singletrack to get rid of that section. I thought it could be better if done backwards!!! The final descent was crap. But, i think the Skyline final descent at afan is the best i’ve ridden at a trail centre.

grumm

Preferred the NFT? Each to their own.

Btw they have added more singletrack to the climb I believe.

nickegg

Preferred as in we felt NFT was a much more successful trail. They did well with what they had whereas at Whinlatter i don’t think they have.

I know NFT gets alot of stick, not sure why. Any trail is better than none at all. I would ride there again if staying in the Lakes again but not sure i would drive a couple of hours to ride there, as many do.

If i were local to Whinlatter i would be going to nearest 7 Stanes i reckon. Having said that i did do a night ride using some “special” trails in Whinlatter and that was great fun, especially the old bridleway descent into Thornthwaite. Mind you a night ride turns almost all trails into something fun.

Subscriber

I felt the south loop was particularly disappointing. Yes, the downhill was good but the rest of it was a bit uninspiring…and WAY too short. I have my suspicion this was a trail deliberately designed for those who want downhill fun without the commitment of a big route. I reckon in good conditions and with strong legs both loops could be ticked off in 1 1/2 hours or so. I was quite tired after two “mountain” days on the bike, the conditions were slippy and I was going steady on the ups but still I managed to be round the north loop in just under an hour. The south loop went by in a flash.

splatz

The downhill section on the North Trail is over too quick – it’s not difficult to ride but it’s over too quick and with little interest or real challenge (apart from a race against the clock?) – I feel sure that a little more imagination could have resulted in a better flowing trail with that ‘wanna ride it again’ zing!!

Should have had taken a look at Newcastleton to see how a single hillside can lead to a long interesting trail. And should have gone to Drumlangrigg to see how to slow a ride down sometimes to make the challenge more worthwhile.

Still it’s only a trail centre – the real stuff is still elsewhere in the Lakes.

Subscriber

Too true. Some of the best riding I have done anywhere is on the natural trails in the Lakes. Low cloud tempted me to the trail centre tho’

jwt

Compared to what was already in Grizedale, i found the NFT a huge disappointment, IMHO it doesn’t really flow very well compared with the other trail centres i have ridden (mainly the stanes) and when it was all open ( albeit very icey) i found Whinlatter to be much more entertaining.
    If you come to Grizedale, ask in the LBC’s or on forums and hook up with locals , as there is MUCH more to grizedale than the NFT………

brownpants

NFT should just be used as a stepping stone to the real riding around there , as it’s a fantastic area ; linking Blawith, Torver, Coniston and back

grumm

I know NFT gets alot of stick, not sure why. Any trail is better than none at all. I would ride there again if staying in the Lakes again but not sure i would drive a couple of hours to ride there, as many do.

The reason why the NFT gets such stick is that its surrounded by fantastic bridleways, which despite not being designed for biking flow much better than the man-made trail. Its not that bad, but I preferred Whinlatter, despite only doing the north loop. Its a good contrast to the superb natural riding the Lakes has to offer.

nickegg

Unfortuantly we weren’t blessed with good weather the week we were there. We didn’t fancy attempting any rides on routes we didn’t know. I seem to remember it pissed it down every day! So we stuck to the trail centres.

Since we got back i have seen alot of photos on here of what natural riding the Lakes has to offer. Next time we’ll try some proper routes i reckon.

grumm

Get the VG guide to the Lakes and try a few routes out of there – there are some excellent ones. Grizedale and Parkamoor and Grizedale and Esthwaite are both fantastic. The Iron Keld and Hodge Close one is great too with some amazing views.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Whinlatter – not quite there’ is closed to new replies.