• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by daveb.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Whinlatter MTB parking overnight
  • daveb
    Free Member

Hi

Thinking of heading down to the Lake District and fancy a Whinlatter visit. Have a Campervan and was wondering if parking overnight is available at the trails?

stevextc
    Free Member

or anywhere near …

Thinking of an overnight with my 83yr old mum and her dog. (Or could be Grisedale)

Gribs

A lot of the carparks nearby have signs saying no overnight parking but I was on holiday in Braithwaite last week and there were plenty parked in the laybys on the A66 nearby.

steveh

Park rangers are very hot in the lakes at the moment on overnight parking anywhere it’s no permitted, apparently nightly patrols etc so choose your spot wisely.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

why not pay for a campsite? plenty around Keswick. Not like you’re trying to access a wilderness with no campsites around for hundreds of miles. A great one in Keswick centre so have access to the pubs and facilities and only 10 mins drive to Winlatter. Hardly expensive even if they are expensive as far as campsites go. Struggle to see the appeal of ‘wild’ camping in a lay-by or something. Appeals if you’re at the end of some trail into the wilderness with great views on hand, but in England at the mo with an apparent clampdown on wild camping seems a good time to maybe just use a campsite right now. Especially in the Lakes where there are more campsites around that you can throw a stick at.

grim168
    Free Member

Went walking from Patterdale on Saturday. Was over there early, every lay-by had a camper in it. The gravel carpark halfway down kirkstone pass had 5 in.

GRAEMEJONES

There is a campsite in Braithwaite, even closer to Whinlatter.

daveb
    Free Member

I looked at a few and they were booked up. Not sure I looked at the one in Braithwaite though, will check.

Normally happy to pay to pitch up, especially if an electric hook up available. Just couldnt find any for the weekend I want to come down. Would also have happily paid for extra parking at Whinlatter if overnight was available.

Tom-B
    Free Member

You’ll be struggling to get a pitch at a weekend in the Lakes for a good while now!

Our ‘weekend’ is Sunday-Tuesday and we struggle without booking about a month in advance.

Pieface

You could try here Dropped pin
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/agboCAhhQnWwo3PX7 although more desperate than idyllic

Trekster

apps you could try if you don’t have them
    Searh4sites
    Park4night
    Pub stops something or other
    https://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/visiting/where-to-stay/campervans-and-where-to-park
    Bit quirky
    http://www.setmabanningcaravanpark.co.uk/

stevextc
    Free Member

I looked at a few and they were booked up.

^ this

I’d prefer a proper campsite (that allows dogs) but my patience ran out doing them all individually.
    I guess worst case I can pay min nights stay and just use one… they can’t exactly stop you leaving and not returning.

slowol

Try this place.
    https://burns-farm.co.uk/

It’s one of my favourite places, about 2 miles East if Keswick (you could cycle to Whinlatter along cycle routes if feeling fit / keen / desperate to save on parking.

Showing availability most weekends unless you need electric when it is more limited. Minimum of 1 night stay sounds reasonable to me.

AlexSimon

Definitely no overnight at the trailhead – it gets locked.
    We parked up here last summer with no bother: 54.602277,-3.181174
    We put a couple of £ in the voluntary honesty box

karnali
    Free Member

Camper van space in campsite behind the wheatsheaf pub in lorton, lovely spot and can ride up boon beck then into a fireroad climb to pick up the trails

daveb
    Free Member

Great, thanks for all the feedback

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Whinlatter MTB parking overnight’ is closed to new replies.