Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Whinlatter Forest – Any Good?
  • notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m probably going to be heading up to the lakes for a couple of days next week and won’t be staying far from Whinlatter.
    Are the trails at Whinlatter any good?
    Anywhere else nearby that would be worth going instead/as well?

andy3809
    Free Member

Only been once myself but I really enjoyed it, especially the climbing and theaon decent (shop side loop). Pretty short though so need to do a few laps of the same thing

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Its a popular quote among locals that Whinllater is like going into a brothel for a kiss 😉

Keswick bikes have route maps of all the local trails,

mcnultycop

Whinlatter is great. I’m sure if it wasn’t surrounded by natural riding in abundance people would speak more highly of the place.

justatheory
    Free Member

One of the better trail centres, but as mcnutty mentioned above there’s some amazing natural stuff nearby.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

It’s only going to be a flying visit so I’m just looking for something for a couple of hours riding. I’ll be back up there next year and I’ll be heading out on some bigger natural rides then.

jekkyl

Yes whinlatter has excellent trails, really enjoyable, lots of flow. What have you done before?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I cannot think , small kids aside, why you would go there when you are in the lakes.

Even if only for a few hours

TomB

If it’s just a quick trip and you haven’t a lot of time, it gives you good, easy to follow trails, choice of loops (blue worthwhile too, imo) without commiting to mountains or routefinding. Stuff for non riders/family to do too, if needed.

joat

Take spare dry socks, the south loop will be a bit puddly. I start with the blue for a warm up then on to the south red loop. If you’re short on time you can miss out the more technical top section by turning left at the top of the singletrack climb, then save the best ’til last on the north loop. It’s one of my favourite trail Centres. Have fun!

stoney
    Free Member

The south loop a bit puddly!!!???? the whole thing- like most tcs ive been to are very puddly… 😥

I live 2 1/2 miles from it! 😉

justinbieber

I’ve just been up there this afternoon, and it’s great. Yes, there is loads of amazing natural stuff, but for a trail centre it’s a good ‘un. It was raining pretty hard, but there are very few muddy bits. Granted, you’ll come back covered from head to foot, but it’s not gloopy, slow you down mud.

Do the North, South and blue, then head back up for another play on the final North descent. Should see you right for a couple of hours

stoney
    Free Member

Sorry…Yes, i sould have said wet… not muddy! 🙄

AD

He he – most of the Lakes will probably be a bit puddly at the minute 🙂
    I live near Cockermouth so not too far away either!

stoney
    Free Member

Your`re right AD, was a tad wet today, B.dale was slipfest all the way…. 😉

justinbieber

Yeah Stoney – I saw your route on Strava. That trail is mad enough at the best of times, let alone today 🙂

stoney
    Free Member

Are you stalking me!!!! 😉 Not too bad with a leg fracture from 3 weeks ago!!!

justinbieber

Yeah – I thought you were off the bike for now! I’ll see you Tuesday 😉

stoney
    Free Member

Now i`m worried!!! 😯

joat

Okay okay! But the south loop seems to maintain its puddles even after a dry spell, which is probably a little academic now. I’m from the drier side of the country so not au fait with the local weather, though could hazzard a guess.

stoney
    Free Member

It does joat… We had a few wet days in August, but on the whole it has been pretty dry and plenty warm enough (until friday) and Ade was up there and he said there were a lot of puddles.
    It does seem to be a trait of trail centres! 🙄

boxelder

It’ll be far less greasey now it’s pi55ed down for hours. The puddles stoney’ds affeared of will now just be small parts of the all-encompassing wetness. Embrace it.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I cannot think , small kids aside, why you would go there when you are in the lakes.

Even if only for a few hours

‘Cos it’s quite good?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Whinlatter Forest – Any Good?’ is closed to new replies.