Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • whinlatter challenge
  • dannymite1981
    Free Member

just signed up to do the challenge for first time.Just wanting to know where a cheap camp site and price near to the start.cheers

breadcrumb

Braithwaite has a campsite, it’s just at the bottom of Whinlatter.

I’ve signed up for my second year, I hope you like climbing!

vim_fuego
    Free Member

There’s one at the bottom of the hill in Braithwaite, Scotgate campsite.
    Has the best shower block of any campsite I’ve seen.
    Not sure on price, guess it will be your Lake District average.
    As for the race, hope you’re up for a challenge, not sure I am.

paul78
    Free Member

Anybody planning to park up in Whinlatter on Saturday night and camp ?? Noticed a few good pull ins on the Whinlatter pass 🙂

paul78
    Free Member

Anybody planning to park up in Whinlatter on Saturday night and camp ?? Noticed a few good pull ins on the Whinlatter pass 🙂

holgateeng

Any one know what time signing on opens on the Sunday morning ? I’ll be driving up and don’t want to have to get there too early .

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Paul78 – Me…..
    But I’ve not signed up and won’t do until the Thursday before, I’m not doing it and camping in the rain.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Stopped at Lanefoot camp site last year, but it wasn’t flat or quiet.

I wonder if parking at the VC would be possible even though the cars will be locked in it will be a quiet and safe place to wild camp.

If not Scotgate campsite looks good

radoggair
    Free Member

sign on is from about 8am to 9:30am i think, maybe 10am. race starts at 10:30am.

If it was like last year then it was a hot day, but by god is there a lot of climbing. Good luck, its a painful 2hrs 15 mins of riding

jonba
    Free Member

Good luck, its a painful 2hrs 15 mins of riding

Might be for you, might be a bit more for others?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

radoggair – Member
    Good luck, its a painful 2hrs 15 mins of riding

Only 3 came in within 2hrs 15mins last year. well done if you were one of those rodaggair
    http://www.whinlatterchallenge.co.uk/results.asp

Took me nearly 3 hours but I was on a single speed.
    The slowest took 5hrs 46mins

radoggair
    Free Member

as i said, a painful 2hrs 15 mins. Timings were actually mixed up in the top 3 since the last marshall sent the first 2 for a 3rd lap instead of to the finish meaning i somehow dibbed home first. All 3 of us came in about 2 mins quicker than times stated, we had to shuffle the times around so neal got my time and we roughly guessed how far behind rich and me were :(.

paul78
    Free Member

JohnClimber , planning to just head over later Saturday afternoon and have a little drive around see if anybody else has parked up …. there is a good looking spot at end of forest road they get everyone to park on.

Will make sure I have coffee and cafetiere for anyone camping near 🙂

postierich
    Free Member

I,ve parked up on the B5289just out of Keswick, there is a road blocked off going up to Portinscale very quite and a couple of pubs nearby never been hassled there

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Cheers Rich

Paul, If it’s dry(ish) and I’m doing it I’ll drive past Postierich’s river side spot, Scotgate campsite and then up to your spot.
    As long as you don’t snore 😉 mail me over your mobile number, email in profile.

andrewh
    Free Member

Anybody planning to park up in Whinlatter on Saturday night and camp ?? Noticed a few good pull ins on the Whinlatter pass

Did it last year, can’t remember where exactly but hoping I’ll recognise it again when I see it, it was a good spot. I do have the advantage of sleeping in the van though, so no tent required.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Take your big sleeping bag if your camping its about -4 and been snowing on and off today

andrewh
    Free Member

Or I could just put the heater on in the van. Got myself a night-heater, runs off the deisel without having to have the engine on. Toasty 🙂 I’ll think of you lot bashing the ice off the insides of your tents.

paul78
    Free Member

Yeah have to say same as andrewh .. webasto night heater fitted in Transporter so I am weather proof 🙂

andrewh, planning on overnighting this year ???

gasyz
    Free Member

3 off us coming up sat afternoon in a camper van.find a pub carpark to stay in and have a few beers.must get the fluids in before a big ride.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘whinlatter challenge’ is closed to new replies.