Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Whinlatter – Altura Gravity Stage Race – Who's in?
  • proutster
    Free Member

So I know that all of the real Enduroists are at the EWS this weekend, but who else is in the Altura Gravity Stage Race at Whinlatter on Saturday?

It’s my second Enduro after loving the ND(H)uro at Hamsterley a couple of months ago and I can’t wait.

I’m in Vets and will be mincing around on this:

It’s just been cleaned and prepped, after all of the rain this week and last will probably put the mud tyres back on tomorrow as it’s currently running Butcher front and Purgatory rear – if there are natural stages then they’ll be no good in the mud.

If you spot me come on over and say hello 😀

beamends
    Free Member

ive literally just come back from there wish id known may have stayed a bit longer…

first time there have and have to say the red north loop is epic!

vim_fuego
    Free Member

Yep, I’m in, just don’t really know what to expect with this event, any advice?
    Is it the norm to carry a spares kit, camelback etc?

proutster
    Free Member

I’ll be carrying my Camelbak Mule NV – with spares, tools, mini-pump, food, 2-3 litres of drink etc.

In my mind it’s just like a big ride in The Peak with my mates, in that I ride slowly uphill then try to beat those mates downhill – so I’ll be carrying just the same 😀

boxelder

Many sections are fresh cut through conifers. Soft surfaces, but it has been reasonably dry recently. I’d steer clear of mud tyres. Some sections are on the Altura trail or similar and mud tyres would be far from ideal.
    It’ll be great fun I’m sure.

proutster
    Free Member

Sounds great – a winter of off-piste in the forest has made me love the loam, mud and roots.

I guessed there’d be a mix of trail centre and fresh-cut but thought that the fresh-cut might be muddy because of the rain – you must’ve had it dryer than us here in Manchester!

But at least it won’t have been churned up by practise (except by locals in the know 😉 )

Existing tyre set-up it is then 8)

boxelder

No locals in the know – they were cutting bits today.

Dark-Side

I’m in, heading up tonight after work. Is anyone camping at the Braithwaite campsite?

proutster
    Free Member
    smogmonster

Yep, im in, and ive got ‘Wooden Spoon’ written all over. Having never done any event like this in the past, and having a knee injury which means i’ll be riding flats for the first time in about 15 years, and having approximately no skill whatsoever, I reckon the odds on me finishing anywhere higher than dead last are, well, remote. Looking forward to it though.

proutster
    Free Member

Hmmm, I’ll see your “Wooden Spoon” and raise it with a “slowest time of the day” 😉

What category smogmonster?

j3ffo
    Free Member

I’m in..

My last race was the ND(H)uro at Kidland and a pretty poor result. Looking forward to this weekend! (black & yellow Devinci – say hi!)

smogmonster

Poutster, Im in the Senior Male group, though only just..Im 39 in a few weeks time, so ive got that going against me as well!! Me versus the Yoof, Christ on a bike…..

proutster
    Free Member

Ha Smogmonster, I’m in (almost) the same situation in Vets – I’m 49 later this year and up against 40 yr olds…. Bring on Grand Vets 8)

I see on the entry sheet that there’s 241 people entered, wonder if it’ll be the same amount of DNS/DNFs as at the ND(H)uro at Hamsterley – 250 people entered and there were only 170odd results shown on roots ‘n’ rain.

If so (and I finish) then I’ll be counting those people as being defeated by my majesty (or is that my mincing)…..

bungalistic
    Free Member

Me and at least 5 others are riding, mostly local without any inside knowledge

proutster
    Free Member

Well who enjoyed that then?

I thought it was absolutely superb, a great blend of 4 natural stages and 2 trail centre ones.

We started with 4, 5 and 6 (second group down it after some of the Cyclewise lot) – all of our group fell off on stage 4 at least once each but absolutely loved it!

By the time we got to stage 1 it was a bog-fest of sticky mud – I certainly regretted the Rockguardz front mudguard down that because my front wheel wouldn’t go around half-way down, until I cleared off some of the clag…. Saw a few people carrying their bikes across the line for that very reason.

But I guess that Stage 4 was like that for the guys that started off on 1, 2 and 3?

My favourite was stage 2 – steep, fast, then techy.

Quite pleased with my result as well, 159th out of 232 overall and 36th in Vets. Better result than at Hamsterley, so can’t grumble.

I now want more, PMBA at Gisburn in Sept looks favourite 8)

smogmonster

Had a great day, finished 71st overall, which considering I was firmly anticipating the wooden spoon, im very chuffed with. A mate came second overall which was an awesome result. Stage 1 was just terrible, and I cant say I enjoyed stage 4 a huge amount, but the rest was great. Id definitely have another go though, and of course the beer went down very well.

bren2709

I was there 124th overall and 25th in vets.
    Superb event and can only get better for next year.

Stage 1 total mud fest but fun in a sick way but that’s Enduro!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Whinlatter – Altura Gravity Stage Race – Who's in?’ is closed to new replies.