• This topic has 22 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by nickc.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Whilst you’re all stuck in the snow: Jet Fighter PSA
  • zokes
    Free Member

cyclelife
    Free Member

Nice one – cheers 👍

JAG

What an excellent bit of youtubeage – Thank You

slowoldman

Ooh I shall watch that later.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Aye canny, thanks for that.

If a Lightning was flying at a 1980’s airshow you were in for a treat.

shermer75
    Free Member

Looks like a good watch that!! 🙂

Watty

Fantastic, nickc will like this.

i remember the green ones of no.9 sqdn take off on re-heat into the dark from Gütersloh in ‘75.

matt_outandabout

I’m 10 mins in and really enjoying, thanks op.

spacemonkey

Nice.  Will watch that later.

BTW I ‘piloted’ a Lightning simulator 2 weeks ago.

CountZero

About 28 minutes in, I’ll watch the rest later. Very interesting watch, thanks for posting it.

Northwind

Good film that, cheers! They used to be amazing at displays, those and full power vulcan passes were like hearing the voice of god…

I remember one time my dad went driving around the farm roads at the back of leuchars and we got right against the fence, there were the remains of 2 lightnings that’d been cannibalised, they still looked pretty cool but also really sad, as a kid I loved those things. And then later on they took the ferranti one away from lightning roundabout…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Any excuse to show this picture again.

Per ardua ad astra.

downshift

Just started watching; fantastic!

The aircraft I joined the RAF to fly. It went out of service before I finished training, but I did see one airborne once!  And it turned out that my abilities fell a little short of those required for pointy fast jets!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

‘Through Hardship to the Stars’

Very apt!

zokes
    Free Member

No worries guys. There are some truly excellent documentaries of this type on YouTube. Trouble is fighting your way through the crap to find them. There’s a good one on the Mozzie too somewhere.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Lightening and Eric “Winkle” Brown 🙂 good find. I enjoyed that

avdave2

That was a great PSA thanks.

airtragic
    Free Member

Any excuse to show this picture again.

Per ardua ad astra.

Like a homesick angel!

martymac

Some terrific footage in there, i always enjoy hearing someone who (so very obviously) knows what they are talking about.

thanks OP!

midlifecrashes

Fun fact, London Underground still use RR Avon engines as in the Lightning for backup power, in Greenwich power station.

b1galus
    Free Member

when i joined Crab Leuchars in ’73’ 23 squadron were still operating those frightnings . looked pretty awesome even as they were being phased out and replaced with 111 squadron phantoms

hedley
    Free Member

My Dad flew QRA on 23 Squadron at Leuchars before moving to the Gnat in the Arrows then Harriers in Gütersloh.

Plenty of stories to tell but he has a soft spot for the Lightning.

Tangmere Military Museum have a fantastic display, a lightning simulator and staff who really know their stuff. Well worth a visit if you are down that way.

nickc

Thanks, forwarded onto the old man , who made some noise about showboat sqdns…

He loved the lightning  flew with 92 from Gutersloh, and then the F4 (which he disliked) used to turn off the man in the back so he couldn’t hear him! (or so he said)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Whilst you’re all stuck in the snow: Jet Fighter PSA’ is closed to new replies.