WhichTrail Centres are best served by Train?

Home Forum Bike Forum WhichTrail Centres are best served by Train?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • WhichTrail Centres are best served by Train?
  • audiophile

I use the train to get to Thetford, get off at Brandon and you’re 10 minutes away.

Premier Icon valleydaddy
    Subscriber

Cwmcarn you can ride from Newport station, not too far.

Afan you could get off at Port Talbot and ride in or Cardiff to Aberdare and up over Rhigos to top end of Skyline.

or Cardiff again and pick up Brecon bus with the bike rack on and get up into the Beacons 😉

rustler

Rugeley Trent Valley is on the West Coast Mainline. Will put you an easy 2 miles from Cannock Chase. Should be well under 2hrs from Euston. Ok, so its not exactly Wales, but its good enough.

coatesy

If you ride from Newport station to Cwmcarn, you’ll probably go past Crosskeys station which is about 5mins ride from the centre.

cubemeup

cross keys station doesnt go to newport only cardiff

sambob

Peak District, about 8 stations to choose from, take your pick.

Premier Icon dreednya
    Subscriber

ClimachX trail and Dyfi forest – 20 minute poodle up from Mach train station along the cycle route, jobs a good’s 🙂

Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

Golspie Fort William (ish)

Can’t think of other trail centres catered for by train. Lots of natural stuff all up the Inverness line though.

IanW

Like the title says which trail centres are best served by the rail network connecting to the south east.

Fed up of driving round the country.

MarkSS

Port Talbot – Afan circa 5 miles

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

Its stretching the notion of being accessible from the South East of England…. but I’d nominate Drumlanrig as the trail centre thats nicest to arrive at by train – lovely winding trafficless country back roads from Sanquhar – pretty much from station platform to the trail. By approaching this way you join the trail in the middle – so what would be the start/end of the route for most people is the middle of the ride for you – so its coffee and cake then back of the trails to head towards the station. Totally civilised.

Premier Icon MartynS
    Subscriber

llanwrust has a station so you could get to the marin trail, and if you felt keen penmachno

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Nevis Range- OK so it’s a bit far but the train ride up to fort william’s been named the best in europe, it’s almost worth doing just for the journey

Premier Icon ampthill
    Subscriber

betws y coed

Has a station and is next to the Marin Trail and close to Penmachno

Whinlatter isn’t that far from Keswick Grizedale isn’t that far from Ambleside

But I wou;d have thought a train to the Lakes or Peak for a non Trail Centre ride was a good bet, that way you can plan a loop from the station. Both Edale and Ambleside are well placed

Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

Grizedale isn’t that far from Ambleside

There’s no station in Ambleside, but Grizedale is doable via Windermere and the ferry

Premier Icon ampthill
    Subscriber

Doh

yes Ambleside not Windermere for the station…

Premier Icon Trekster
    Subscriber

Ae and Mabie are both roughly 7mls from Dumfries and I am sure if you posted up early enough someone might be around to give you a lift to either/both in the same day and/or Dalbeattie 😆
    Beaten to it re Drumlanrigg. You could add on a detour via Auchentaggart Moor to get there or back. Heading back that way would give you a cracking descent back down to the station 😆

Premier Icon bangin on
    Subscriber

Balblair and Carbisdale Castle trails have a wee ‘one or two trains a day’ station nestled in between them. An awesome nights accomadation at the finest youth hostel ever at Carbisdale; and there’s a footbridge under the railway bridge that’ll take you to the Balblair side of the firth and Invershin Inn for B&B.

The original design for the trails was to start and finish at the pub/bridge so that both sides could be used as a figure of 8 instead of two seperate trails. This is also why there is so much fire road from the Bonar bridge end of the Balblair trails, ah well, cheers FE.

bigbloke

Am i right in thinking you could get to Laggan Wolftrax via Tulloch Station?

hambl90

Met a guy at cwmcarn the. Other day from London who got the train to cardiff then changed to cross keys then got a taxi to cwmcarn , now that’s what I. Call dedicated , was a really nice guy as well .

tommmm

Maesteg’s probably the closest to afan and glyncorrwg. It is over a bloody annoying hill but isn’t far at all. And a taxi from crosskeys to cwmcarn is ridiculous.

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

Am i right in thinking you could get to Laggan Wolftrax via Tulloch Station?

dalwhinnie is alot closer. 7 miles on the road, very easy to get there, coming back would be more uphill..

from what i know about centres.
    Ae 10miles – dumfries
    mabie – 4 miles – dumfries
    drumlanrig – 10 miles – sanqhar
    fort william dh/xc – 5/6 miles 0 fort william.
    kirroughtree – 20 miles – barhill.

hambl90

To be fair tommm he was riding a dirt jump bike and carrying all his gear.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘WhichTrail Centres are best served by Train?’ is closed to new replies.