• This topic has 23 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • WhichFront Plus Tyre – PURGATORY or Bridger for max Gnar???
  • Earl
    Free Member

…with a a Nobbly Nic out back.

Ta

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There must be better than that by now surely?. Been away from plus for 2 years, that was the shitey choices we had then!.

sheck

Magic Mary works for me with NN on rear

Earl
    Free Member

Oh…. I might be behind the times a little then.
    I’m a bit scared of the MM as people have said to me its really a DH tyre only because its so draggy.

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

Got a 2.8 soft magic Mary. Great for everything. Don’t really notice the drag.

Wouldn’t fancy a purg on the front. Butcher would be a better option I imagine.
    Maxxis minion dhf another option and I think wtb have brought out more 2.8 options recently.

Depends where you ride really but the Mary is a decent all round front tyre.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m a bit scared of the MM as people have said to me its really a DH tyre only because its so draggy.

People tend to talk shite.

I don’t find the 2.6 soft Addix draggy at all (but I’ve never used ‘fast’ front tyres, and never will) even if it was draggy, the grip through corners, and speed carried as a result, more than balances it out.

PolisherMan

Magic Mary 2.8 front Nobby Nic 3″ rear

Wouldn’t use anything else up front now. It refuses to slide out in Pennine winter slutch.

Garry_Lager

Have a mininon DHF fr on my plus bike – not ridden it much since winter but absolutely no complaints in the grip department.

Magic mary is a great front tyre if you are talking max gnar. I wouldn’t personally use it for mixed riding – boat anchor and also wears fast IME.

You can’t use a purgatory up front for any serious shredding – it’s OK on the rear. I like them a lot as all rounders (have them on my anthem in fact) but nah for the gnar.

Earl
    Free Member

ok – tbh my version of max gnar probably falls short of most other peoples.

Thanks for the options. Will look into them.

johnjn2000

I like Magic Mary but also started using the Michelin Wild Enduro GumX, they are hugely grippy and make front or rear specific tyres

lardman
    Free Member

the Butcher 2.6 is a pretty good all-round tyre. Large carcass, but not too heavy. Might be worth a look.

Turns out i have two of them for sale too! 2 rides old, found my rims were too small for them to not ‘roll’ in hard corners. Should be good on anything over 30mm internal tho.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Butcher 2.6 isn’t really plus though, is it?. Comes up about 2.4 in the real world.

funkmasterp

Vee Bulldozer is the king of front wheel plus tyres for me. Proper monster truck, once up to speed it’s rapid and ploughs through everything.

tdog
    Free Member

Why would anyone use Schwalbe tyres let alone + versions is beyond my comprehension.

NNs simply do not take well to gloop if you’re looking to keep it on for a long now period of time.

The compound that is soft to begin with soon loses that honeymoon feeling.

Then there’s the pourous. sidewalls especially useless if running tubeless.

Also last but not least beads which simply tear like a mofo.

tdog
    Free Member

Butcher or Minion are top choices!

pigyn
    Free Member

The Bridger is a terrible tyre, too stiff in the middle and paper thin on the sidewalls, if I had ridden one as my first plus tyre I doubt I would have ever tried again.

Currently settled on 3″ High Roller front 2.8″ Rekon back and that covers everything from local singletrack, trail centres, real mountain riding and even some enduro racing.

colournoise

Minion DHF 2.8 up front for me at the moment. Proper grippy and nowhere near as draggy as I’d feared.

Tracey

2.8 Butcher Blck Dmnd front and rear for me on the Levo

Earl
    Free Member

I’ve ended up going for a Mich Wild Enduro Gum-x (I think). Found some good mentions on this forum and its ‘only’ £45 which is a bonus.

Cheers all

iainc

Just speccing out a Focus Jam2 6.8 Plus and looking to swop out the OEM Reckon tyres. Currently thinking 2.8 Magic Mary front and 2.8 Nobby Nic back. Mix of west of Scotland natural stuff and the odd trail centre. Reading this thread with interest.

What pressures folks running ? I’m about 12.5 stone and bike will be another 52lbs…

Tracey

Im running 15 psi front and rear in the 2.8 Butcher Blck Dmnds, could probably get away with a bit less, on the Turbo Levo.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Why would anyone use Schwalbe tyres let alone + versions is beyond my comprehension.

Because the Mary is widely recognised as one of the best front tyres around perhaps?. 😊

postierich
    Free Member

Dirt Wizard

iainc

Thanks Tracey, was thinking of starting at 15, so that’s reassuring.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘WhichFront Plus Tyre – PURGATORY or Bridger for max Gnar???’ is closed to new replies.