Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Which xt front mech has the pinch clamp at the top(model number)
  • robhughes
    Free Member

If that makes any sense.
    Problem with the pinch bolt on mine slightly fouling the bottom linkage of full compression on a 08 Trance X.
    Mine has the pinch bolt low down on the mech.
    Cable runs from the top.
    Is there one where the pinch bolt sits at the top.
    Not my bike put you can see the Known problem in this pic.

Cheers all….

coatesy
    Free Member

You’ll probably be wanting a bottom swing version instead of your top swing.

robhughes
    Free Member

Cheers coatsey.
    Thats what i was thinking but there,s a kink in the seat tube so don’t know whether it will fit.
    I might just buy a cheap on off ebay and give it a shot.

robhughes
    Free Member

Cheers andy.
    Have you got a trance X with one on by any chance.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I dont have a trance X but had to get one of these recently for clearance. Conventional swing (ie clamp at very top). Dual pull. The pinch bolt is just below the clamp.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/MTB++Parts/Transmission++Gears/Derailleurs+-+Front+MTB/Shimano+SLX+M661+9+Speed+Front+Mech+-+Conventional_FDM661.ht

Edit – Its hard to see from that photo what the problem is exactly. Do you have a close up?

andyl
    Free Member

nope. No suspension bikes for me.

From what I have seen most have low clamp front mechs due to all the suspension gubbins and some (eg Lapierre) have E-type ones (bb mount with a screw into the seat tube to stop it rotating). Can you get away with just adjusting the position a bit?

shatner
    Free Member

Same problem here with my new trance x 2012 frame. 2×9 setup, m665 top swing mech, pinch bolt hits the lower linkage under compression. conventional mech would work if the seat tube wasnt curved higher up. I guess the frame works fine with 9 speed triple and 10 speed double chainsets as the chainrings are bigger (rather than my 36 tooth) so naturally the mech would be mounted a bit higher for those. To stop it hitting the frame I’m having to mount the mech higher, but theres a significant gap between bottom of cage and the chainring when it should be about 1mm :/

Its almost as if they did it on purpose!

j40aja
    Free Member

I’ve got a nearly new (50 miles max) XT M771 triple conventional front mech in the garage if it’ll suit your frame.
    It is a 10 speed but I ran it with no problems on a 9 speed set up.

Let me know if you’re interested,

Cheers.

druidh
    Free Member

Rob. I have an XT mech with the top-band and I might need a low-band model for my Scandal. I’d be happy to consider a swap with you.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Which xt front mech has the pinch clamp at the top(model number)’ is closed to new replies.