Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Which X-box for my lad?
  • BFITH
    Free Member

Just trying to get some pressies sorted.
    My lad wants an X-box but I know nothing about them (still on a ps2 here!).
    So which one 4GB or 250GB? Why would I need a large hard drive?
    If I get the one with 4GB, is it upgradable?
    Any other considerations I should think about?
    Whats a good price at the moment?

Ta

Cougar

If you’re ever going to go online, you need the 250. Arguably, it’s pretty much essential even if you don’t. You can upgrade at a later date, but it’ll cost you more in the long run. The disk is used for updates, of which there are many, and you can download demos to it which is worth the price of admission alone IMHO.

The same question was asked a couple of days ago; search the forum, there’s a chunk of info on that thread.

DezB
    Free Member

Agree with the above – What with the downloadable games that are available (eg. the essential Minecraft), glad we got the big HDD version.

BFITH
    Free Member

Cheers I’ll have a look….

Jamie
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/which-xbox-4gb-or-250gb

I recently bought an Xbox. Went for the 250GB, as I would rather have too much space rather than not enough. Given you can download so much from the marketplace now, like games, game demos, media etc the 4 GB would get destroyed in no time.

Also, I like to install my games onto the HD to cut down on the drive spinning up to access them.

I picked up a 250GB Xbox + Halo 4 + 12 Months XBL* for £150 from Amazon last month. They are not doing quite such a generous offer at the moment, but worth keeping an eye on HDUK to see the best deals.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/gaming/deals/hot

*If he will be playing online, you will need an Xbox Live Gold subscription as well.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

op –my missus is going to be selling a 360 very soon on ebay , pm me if you want more info, hardly any use, all original packaging etc…

BFITH
    Free Member

rudebwoy – is it a 250GB?

Jamie
    Free Member

On a sidenote, I got a free 3 month Love Film subscription with my Xbox from Amazon, common practice as Amazon own them, but they rent out games, and I can have 2 at a time for as long as I want. So essentially, I have free gaming for the next 3 months as well as access to their live streaming rentals via Xbox Live 😀

makeitorange
    Free Member

Another vote for 250GB – especially with some games now needing to be installed before you can play (like the new Halo 4 multiplayer)

rudebwoy
    Free Member

BFITH– yep its a 250,with kinnect

DezB
    Free Member

Also, I like to install my games onto the HD to cut down on the drive spinning up to access them.

Yes, that’s a cool feature. Only takes about 30 secs to install a game to the harddisk… 😉

br
    Free Member

also make sure you get the wireless h/w, unless you are near enough to your broadband for a cable – and get XBox Live too

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

As a counterpoint, I bought the 4GB slim version a couple of years ago. Purely wanted a games machine (not a media center) and I never play online. After many system update downloads, game updates and game saves there is still around 3GB left. I’ve not missed the extra storage but I knew exactly what I wanted when purchasing.

Also be aware that there are USB slots which you can plug a USB stick into for more storage space.

Stoner
    Free Member

On a side note…

I have a 4Gb Xbox which I got specifically to use as a Media Extender (works with microsoft media centre) rather than a games machine. But not really for downloading media, but serving local media.

I have a 32″ monitor to which it’s connected as well as to my network via a homeplug adaptor.
    The only “TV” in the house are the two tuners in my PC. We set the PC to record series or films we want to watch, then when we fancy watching them, just use the xbox to show them on the monitor, served from the PC. We can also watch live tv over the network at the Xbox from one of the two tuners in the PC.

Last night I also set up iPlayer on the Xbox for the first time. Worked a charm. Whatever compression Air is using these days it’s bloody good. No buffering, no cliff edges, and no pixelation. Just good quality streaming.

I also own forza 4 too, because it would be silly not to 🙂

BFITH
    Free Member

Is wireless ability not part of the x-box itself….what do i need for wireless connectivity?
    Is the cable into the TV standard HDMI to HDMI?

Stoner
    Free Member

Xbox output is HDMI. I have to run mine through an HDMI to analogue converter box (£20 ebay) because my monitor is VGA only.

For wireless youd need a wireless netowrk adaptor http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/719752/Official-Xbox-360-Wireless-Network-Adapter/Product.html

or for half the price you could get a pair of homeplugs and connect one to your router, the other to the RJ45 socket int he back of the xbox and use your mains as a 500mbps network cable
    http://www.dabs.com/products/zyxel-pla4201-500mbps-mini-powerline-ethernet-adaptor-twin-pack-83VC.html?refs=4294944541&src=2

ska-49
    Free Member

No, you dont need a wireless adapter! The new slim ones have it built in and the wireless adapter is for the older one.

Stoner
    Free Member

oops.
    go with him ^

DezB
    Free Member

I did have to use Homeplugs when the Xbox was in a room that couldn’t receive the wi-fi. Such a huge house, you see.

stever
    Free Member

Ah, glad this came up… we’ve just gone x-Box with the wireless doo-dah. Can’t get a proper signal in daughter’s room (and I sometimes lose laptop connection in my office when there’s lots of other network traffic). Not a massive house 🙂

If I plug a couple of these Homeplugs in both problems will be magically resolved then? Thought that’s what I needed, but nice to see someone else with it working. Good solution? Do you have to pair them up or do anything with the security password? Thanks!

Underhill
    Free Member

(stupidquestion)I take it that the Homeplugs have to be on the same circuit?(/stupidquestion)

stever
    Free Member

Oh, you’ve just complicated my question. The wiring’s all over the show in this house.

Jamie
    Free Member

I did have to use Homeplugs when the Xbox was in a room that couldn’t receive the wi-fi. Such a huge house, you see.

Profits from referrals built your palace.

Stoner
    Free Member

press a button on the bottom of one, leg it to other end of house and press another button and that’s it. Paired.

There are some utilities to monitor the network, but you don t need them. They really do “just work”.

Home plugs just have to be on the same phase within 200 yards or so of each other.

So in a normal house, they can usually be in any socket and talk to any other socket. The different phase thing only matters in very rare circumstances when you have a neighbour using a homeplug network and they are close by and on the same phase as you. I think its the button pressing thing which adds encryption and hence restrictions to your network to solve that.

DezB
    Free Member

Profits from referrals built your palace.

Shhh!

Clever them homeplugs. Dunno what happends to the lectricity buzzing through your network though 😯

stever
    Free Member

Brilliant, thanks for that. Think I’d need the wireless equivalent, pity they’re twice as much. Bah!

Just get him the best one – he’ll only be disappointed if you don’t 😉

Seriously though – 250GB all the way. Can’t remember what I’ve d/l’ed or installed, but smashed 4GB in the first week.

Underhill
    Free Member

Thanks for the Homeplug info.

Re XBox, I’d say 250gb too. Bought one 2 weeks ago (just before all the deals appeared) & I’m enjoying it much more than I thought I would. Get music loaded on the bigger drive & you’re set with a mini-media centre.

Get Kinect & it’s voice controlled. Had more fun with that than the games. That said, definitely get Forza. Awesome game

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Which X-box for my lad?’ is closed to new replies.