which width drop bars then?

Home Forum Bike Forum which width drop bars then?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • which width drop bars then?
  • i had 42 on my first cross bike, seemed ok but never knew any better. then went to 46, huge difference.

timdrayton

the ones i am replacing are 42cm, they seem comfy enough, but i wonder if wider (44) would be better.

have widish shoulders at 43cm bony bit to bony bit, is there a rule?

not a racer, and want comfort, does wider = more comfort?

Premier Icon ourmaninthenorth
    Subscriber

does wider = more comfort?

Usually does, I believe. Am having the same dilemma (whether to move to 44cms on some compact drops).

trail_rat

i moved from 44s to 40s on my roadie , infinately more comfortable for me …and i have wide shoulders. Design of the bar will have more impact on comfort provided your not riding like 46s at 5 foot dead or 38 low drops at 6 foot 6 !

old bars were stiff as badgers , new ones got a bit of flex built in !

Wide is better, and flair makes loads of difference. Check out the salsa bell lap bars (just check over shoulder, yep I have some in the shop), but even if I did not sell them, they are ace. It gives you a slightly more elbows out stance when on the drops, loads more control when charging DH.

Premier Icon UpQuickDownSlow
    Subscriber

I’m very comfy on my 58 cm wide On-One Midges!

wider not always better, check out Rob Hayles bikes on the tour series crits, he’s about 6’3 and uses 42’s

Subscriber

old bars were stiff as badgers , new ones got a bit of flex built in !

Noooo! OK, they’re comfy over distance, but disconcerting when sprinting in the drops…!

crikey

Depends what you are using them for; I find most modern new bikes come with 42s, whereas I use 40s, for road anyway. No point having your arms and elbows out in the wind.

Be aware too that bars can be measured centre to centre or outside to outside…

trail_rat

and when am i really sprinting ? i do 10 mile TT and audax —on the same bike. Spend most time down in the aero on the TT and comfort over distance is the reason i run flexier bars …i dont mean mega flexy just noticably more flexible than those i removed …

put the non flexy bars onto my turbo trainer bike

Subscriber

trail_rat – just pulling your leg.

I was doing some intervals work last night and, sprinting in the drops (out of the saddle) made my FSA wobble a bit.

😀

timdrayton

thinking about either 3t ergonovas or fsa omega compacts any thoughts or suggestions?

Subscriber

I’m also thinking about the omegas. None in stock anywhere for the next couple of weeks at least, it seems.

timdrayton

ourmaninthenorth try shiny bikes they had a couple in each size yesterday, dont take paypal tho

think winstanleys have got some too

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘which width drop bars then?’ is closed to new replies.