Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Which wheelset
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

I’m on the verge of buying a nice wheelset. Mine are just not cutting it at the moment.

choices are

* ztr 355 with hope xc3 from that man roger musson @ wheelpro

Concerns – would they work with my avid juicy 5 brakes + concerns of using 24 spoke

* Progress turbine hub + olympics from http://www.justridingalong.com

Rave reviews from JRA about this hub, super smooth and light

* Hope pro 11 + revs + olympics from clee-cycles.co.uk

Most people’s favourite hub

I notice roger musson (wheel pro) doesn’t use the olympic rim for his builds.

I only weigh 73kg so not overly heavy.

roger-m
    Free Member

Hi Tricky

I only sell what Hope make and they have chosen not to use the Olympic on their HopeHoops range. I actually prefer the 355 anyway. With Hope Hoops you do not get options on build, so there is no choice on colours/spokes/nipples. 24 spokes look and feel (in my hands) very solid. Noticed that they are built with DT Competition, just been speaking with Hope and this is the standard spec from now on for all their wheels, ie. a 2mm-1.8mm-2mm spoke. Will update my site to remove reference to DT SuperComp (apparently heavy blokes were causing the Supercomp spokes to break at the nipple).

Roger
    WP

righty
    Free Member

go for soul kozak hubs, they are much much lighter

njee20
    Free Member

And much less reliable…

I’d say you’re not gonna go wrong with a Pro II on Olympic build. Not saying the Progress hubs aren’t excellent, but they’re imported by JRA, so it’s a rather biased view! Don’t actually know anyone using them, but their stuff is usually very good.

trickydisco
    Free Member

thanks roger, very helpful.Will i get problems with the hope rotors on my avids?

roger-m
    Free Member

Just weighed a HopeHoops XC3/ZTR355 front, 675g without rotor. It’s built with Sapim Race spokes. Very nice.

Roger
    WP

firestarter
    Free Member

personally id go for pro 11 on 355 as a weight/strength/price good buy

roger-m
    Free Member

Hope did plenty of research to ensure their 3 and 4 Arm rotors are compatible with the vast majority of other brake manufacturers. Shimano and Avid are definitely okay.

Roger
    WP

righty
    Free Member

ngee do you have direct experience or are you just guessing???? 🙄

njee20
    Free Member

Me? Direct experience of what, SK hubs? I don’t, no, but I’ve heard plenty of stories. I really liked the look of their cassettes, but they’re very good at snapping it’d seem. Shame, as they’re excellent value and very light.

So more than a guess, but not first hand. I don’t speak German, but this tells you a lot.

righty
    Free Member

will be building some front wheels using SK hubs shortly, hopefully they have impoved the quality since 2007 :mrgreen:

njee20
    Free Member

Their warranty is meant to be pretty good, so you will probably just get very adept at rebuilding wheels!

ScotlandTheScared

Can thoroughly recommend the hope hoops/stans 355 wheelset. Great value but strong enough and light enough for riding fast/all day. And they look good too 🙂

righty
    Free Member

all good experience lol

njee20
    Free Member

It’s an inherent risk with quirky European parts, my Tune Kong Superscharf hub destroyed itself alarmingly quickly. It’s totally put me off a pair of Prince/Princess hubs, which is a shame, as they look lovely!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Which wheelset’ is closed to new replies.