Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Which wheels should I get…?
  • MikeC
    Free Member

I am looking for some new xc wheels for my Scott Scale…but I am a little out of touch with the mtb scene having become a dirty stinking roadie 😳

Which ones do people on here recommend. I am looking for something to satisfy the following:

– disk compatible
    – tubeless compatible
    – less than 1500g for the pair
    – around £500 for the pair
    – suitable for xc racing and training on…can't afford two pairs of wheels
    – bling looking

I have seen DT Swiss, Hope, American Classic, Reynolds and have only managed to confuse myself…HELP!!!

Thanks 😉

Slogo
    Free Member

cynic-al
    Free Member

Stanz rims, rev spokes if you ride light enough, whatever hubs are bling enough for ya.

bol

Roval Controle SLs if you can get a good deal from your local Spesh dealer. Tough, light, versatile and reliable in my experience.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

I've been looking at race wheels too, with very similar requirements to you (though I don't currently have enough money to buy any!) and the Stans ZTR hubs seem very good value, built up by 'Just Riding Along' it's just a little too early to know how reliable they are.

Just Riding along have some good value 'instock' wheels though – they're doing American Classics on Stans Olympics (with rev spokes) for £445 – assuming you're fairly lightweight, they seem like great value for 1320g pair! If I were you, they'd be my choice…

MikeC
    Free Member

Thanks chaps. I'm about 11.5 stone and don't ride particularly heavily.

Those Rovals look niiiice and get some really good reviews 😛
    Stans look good, and perhaps worth buying them now too,…before the Olympics brand police ban them 😯

vrapan
    Free Member

I have the Stans Crest rims, rev spokes and Stans hubs but not built yet. Cost all in 360£ including paying a local bike mechanic to build them for me. Should be well under 1400gr if their claims are correct.

njee20
    Free Member

I've got the Controle SLs, they're nice, but I wouldn't have bought them (they came with a bike).

For my money I'd be looking at American Classic hubs on ZTR Alpine rims (formerly Olympics) with Revolutions, or Supercomps if you're no flyweight!

AndyF1
    Free Member

ZTR Podiums here,crazy light @ 1240g,there`s a rider weight limit on them though.

pete68
    Free Member

Just got a set of wheels from jra, hope pro2 hubs, stans alpine rims with supercomp spokes, weigh about 1340. noticably quick over my old wheels.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Stans Podiums are not good for training & racing. They are a rim with a finite lifespan and best kept for racing.

Hope Pro 3 on Stans 355 are a good buy for all-round riding. Not the lightest, but reasonable price.

RepacK
    Free Member

Shimano XT I think are under 1500g & less £500. Ive raced on them on all sorts of stuff from Downieville to Gorrick.

amd635
    Free Member

Worth thinking about Fulcrum wheels also. Merlin have the Fulcrum 1's reduced at the moment. I've had a pair two years and they're excellent. Hubs are really smooth.

Eldrik
    Free Member

RepacK – Member
    Shimano XT I think are under 1500g & less £500. Ive raced on them on all sorts of stuff from Downieville to Gorrick.

If you mean the XT M775 standard QR disc wheels, they're a claimed 1677g a pair, so NOT that light for the price.

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/nl/index/products/mountain/deore_xt/product.-code-WH-M775.-type-.html

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Excellent experience of these guys

Just Riding Along wheels – front page

Also +1 for Stans rims

dickie
    Free Member

Some new XTR on the classifieds for £350.

simonk0_0

crank brothers cobalts

ok a litle more money but just lovely

and they sound sooo nice on the ratchet

si

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Which wheels should I get…?’ is closed to new replies.