Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Which Wet Lube?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

that doesnt attract dirt? i use rock n roll extreme, which is brilliant at keeping everything gunk free and clean, and runs really well… however i get through it far to easily and its just to dear to be buying all the time 🙁

is there anything out there thats clean like rock n roll, but cheap as chips? what about muc off wet lube?

ive used the finish line green one this weekend and everythings black and cleaning it takes ages and it gets you filthy etc…so i dont want to use that again

wwaswas

that doesnt attract dirt?

not going to happen 🙁

if you wipe the chain well after applying you can minimise the blackness but otherswise it’s a wax lube and reapply regularly.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m really liking the putolene solid wax right now. Application is a bit involved but it lasts well.

Kryton57

I’ve just finished White Lighting Epic. Once applied properly its quite like the R&R (which is the replacement as it was on offer at probikekit).

WL Epic I’ve found to be pretty much the same as R&R with slightly less long lasting when on the chain – however as you drop WL on the links is far, far less wasteful. Use mine on the roadie and MTB’s. A good comprimise – almost as good as R&R but 2/3rds the cost.

Jamie
    Free Member

*keeps eye on thread*

edlong
    Free Member

what about muc off wet lube?

Anything but that. Worst ever – should be renamed “sticky dirt glue”

P20

Trying Fenwicks Stealth at the moment. It managed 2 wet rides around the Lakes ok. Bit of hassle to apply, but I’m impressed so far.

pudd
    Free Member

Pedros ice wax.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

pro link pro gold any good? sounds very similar to rnr extreme, but slightly cheaper?

fenred
    Free Member

Anything but that. Worst ever – should be renamed “sticky dirt glue”

Agreed, dreadful stuff…Rock n’ roll extreme OTOH…Mmmm 8)

Kryton57

OTOH?

njee20
    Free Member

pro link pro gold any good? sounds very similar to rnr extreme, but slightly cheaper?

I liked it.

I’ve just finished White Lighting Epic. Once applied properly its quite like the R&R (which is the replacement as it was on offer at probikekit).

I also like that.

However… Squirt is by far the best I’ve tried.

fenred
    Free Member

OTOH?

On the other hand…

Frankers
    Free Member

Oscillate Wildly – Member

Not for winter, also they offer pro link extreme but i’ve found it very average when it gets wet.

I use WL Epic and then WL Wet ride when it gets wetter, doesn’t gunk up like others and last well, I usually buy the 8oz bottle from Merlin though found it cheaper HERE

Kryton57

WL’s avaialble here at good prices…

Northwind

White Lightning here too, I use Epic most of the time as it just gets on with things but the wet one does keep things working better in bad mud.

(pro tip- warm the wet lube up before applying it, it goes very thick when cold)

Squirt worked well for me in dusty summer but it was a total disaster in winter for me, constant chainsuck. Went home, cleaned it off, relubed, went back and did the same ride no bother with Epic.

VanHalen

Ive not found a chain lube that lasts even half a ride when its really wet.

bit of wd40 to get the crud out when you get back home and reapply before the next days muddy commute.

cardo

I’m trying that Muc Off C3 Ceramic stuff and first impressions are good, but we will see what the Winter brings.

proberts
    Free Member

I’ve currently got…
    Squirt- ok in dry, useless in wet
    Progold stuff- used last night, seems to just fall off the chain onto the floor. crap.
    Juicy lubes wet – the better one of the 3 but cost a fortune.
    Once these are used up i’ll keep looking for a decent wet lube.

pedlad

Onzadog does the putolene run clean (ie the wax sloughs the dirt off like squirt) or is it dark and tar like I imagine a motorbike chain lube to be?

ransos
    Free Member

Finish line Wet lube lasts well, but you need to wipe the chain down regularly with a clean rag. DON’T use a chain cleaner and solvent – you just strip all the lube out the rollers.

prezet
    Free Member

Rock n Roll extreme – expensive, but worth it. I don’t use their application method of “squirt liberally everywhere though” as you do get through it at a quick rate. Just drop it on each link, let dry, wipe off residue – job done.

Quite fancy giving the Juice Lubes stuff a go, their fork and brake juice have been good so far.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Sets solid in the links. A bit oozes out. I just babywipe the excess off. Hose bike down and dry.

Frankers
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member
    WL’s avaialble here at good prices…

240ml bottle cheaper HERE

matther01
    Free Member

+1 for Squirt.

Can go two or three rides without having to clean my chain and runs without a sound and doesn’t rust up either.

Miles better than any other wet or dry lube ever I’ve used. Just need to remember to clean the chain and add the lube a day before you ride.

Think I got mine for £8.

verses

I used Fenwicks Wet for the 1st time at D2D this weekend. Over 7 very muddy laps it held up well.

I’d cleaned the chain and applied the lube the day before. About halfway through the night I cleared the built up clag out of my mech and cassette but left the chain as blathered as it was. My bike’s usually prone to chain-suck in poor conditions but it behaved itself all night so I’m pleased with it so far.

When I got home I rinsed the worst of the mud off, soaked the chain in white spirit, dried it out and reapplied the Fenwicks. I’ve not been back out on it yet but it seems to be spinning smoothly in my workstand 🙂

patriotpro
    Free Member

Finish Line (Wet Lube).

tonyd

I’ve only ever really used the finish line stuff and had no idea there were so many other options! Never had problems with it personally, I usually clean the chain when I clean the bike (not as often as I should), then put some GT85 on a rag and run the chain through it to give it a good wipe and get any water out, then wetlube on a rag and run the chain through that. No excess means less for the dirt to stick to, works well.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

so white lightning epic appears to get a few votes and people say it keeps it pretty clean like rock n roll extreme…may give that a shot then as its in the LBS…

does it really keep it as clean as rnr extreme?

chiefgrooveguru

Any really thick wet lube seems to work for me. Clean chain with kitchen towel, apply lube, wipe off before the next ride. When chain is dirty or needs relubing, run through kitchen towel to clean, then lube. Wipe off before next ride. Etc etc. In the dry I can go a few weeks between lubing, in the wet clean/lube after most rides.

Tried Squirt, very clean, washed off too easily, caused pretty disastrous chainsuck.

andyl
    Free Member

Was looking for something the other day and came to the conclusion of RnR Extreme or WL Epic. Epic does seem cheaper and minimal faffage.

lunge

I maintain the best lube is the stuff that Shimano and SRAM chains have on them when they come out of the box. If I could find out what it is and where I can get it from I would use nothing else.

onandon
    Free Member

I want to try This stuff. Can’t find it anywhere with the little torch 🙂

iainc

been using the Muc Off Ceramic Wet Lube past few months on the MTB and pretty impressed with it. Squirt is good in the dry. On the road bike I have found the Fenwicks Stealth road lube to be very good

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I have been using Mobil 1 0W40 Engine Oil since I used up the last of my Finish Line Lube, I really can’t notice any difference over any of the bike specific lubes.

excitable1
    Free Member

I’ve got a trial going on….

The new Muc Off C3 Ceramic wet Lube on one bike against the Finish Line Ceramic Wet Lube on another bike.

So far the Muc Off attracts more crap but bloody hell it smells nice, good enough to eat really… which I thought was against the rules so as not to make them attractive to children !

onandon
    Free Member

I currently use finish line wet so if c3 attracts more crap, I’m ooooot.
    Shame , finish line isn’t great hence me looking for a replacement.

andyl
    Free Member

on and on – Member
    I want to try This stuff. Can’t find it anywhere with the little torch

A UV sensitive additive eh?

Give me a couple of days of furious 1 handed surfing and I’ll see if I can muster up enough to add to your chain lube….might be best to add it to some of this as it’s water based….

…and quite aptly named….

😆

Suggsey
    Free Member

I did an extensive lube test a couple of winters ago, trialling every lube on the market-literally! Last winter I used Muc Off Ceramic C3. It is all its cracked up to be too in my experience. It really resisted wash off really well and a wipe down with an old towel between rides and reapplication then wipe off excess was all that was required. Some of the ceramic lubes were such that they seemed to create a black sludge, some a shade of grey. this did create some sludge light grey in colour when run on a dirty chain after multiple rides with no chain cleaning between ie not what I would normally do to a chain! The sludge appeared to be ultra fine particles that took some cleaning off but no where near as bad as say Finish Line black liquid duct tape.
    During this wet spring/summer I have been using Squirt, its similar to use to good old White Lightening and actually despite my reservations of mud and water washing it off has lasted quite well.
    I always used to use R&R however I was ploughing through it on applying it as per the instructions and on extended muddy rides was ending up with chainsuck and the horrible noise of grit/sand that would for some reason still attach itself to the chain just sounded like it was eating my entire drivetrain.
    To be honest my appraisal is try them all, choose which you thinks is best for your regular riding conditions and stick to it- but try muc Off C3 first and I will have the leftovers if its not for you 😀

muddyground
    Free Member

….I use Squirt first, then when dry top off with C3 Ceramic if it’s going to be a wet ride. Seems to work for me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Which Wet Lube?’ is closed to new replies.