Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Which weather service do you believe??
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

I normally use Metcheck but I know there are others out there. Which do you use and believe?

weeksy

The window.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Whichever one says it’s going to rain at Mayhem?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cp

yr.no
    bbc
    metoffice
    accuweather
    xcweather

and take an average…

scotroutes

Currently rocking accuweather but MWIS for more specific stuff.

surfer
    Free Member

yr.no

andytherocketeer

lol@metcheck. It’s forecasts went out the window when the owner went down for several years in the slammer. Pure comedy sometimes, especially for forecasts outside of the UK.

yr.no is what I tend to use now

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Isn’t it all based on the same data but interpreted differently?

I know everyone wants to know “will it rain tomorrow”, but if theres say, 80% chance of rain for 2 hours at 10am, and 30% the rest of the time, is that a rainy symbol or not? I think thats where the services differ. (its could be rainy or sunny all day and the prediction would still be accurate btw).

rocketman
    Free Member

None of them just look at the radar feeds and make my own decision.

peterfile
    Free Member

yr.no for low
    MWIS for high
    SAIS for diagonal

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Cool, just checking out yr.no

andypaul99
    Free Member

The worst is probably the BBC which seems to get updated twice a day, normally when im on route to a ride based upon their crappy report. **** that
    best seems to be the one pre loaded on my i phone

andytherocketeer

actually for the next 3-4 hours…
    – looking out of the window approximately SW
    – blitzortung.org (in summer, if thunderstorms are likely)

bencooper
    Free Member

Norwegian Weather Service – I use an app called Partly Cloudy which gets data from them and it seems pretty good.

Plus the app looks cool.

Wharfedale
    Free Member

I really like the way weatherweb TV presents data and forecasts. Some interesting facts about sea ice in todays forecast vid – http://www.weatherweb.net/wxwebtv2.php

Toasty

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Stroud/long.html

Ugh Sunday, 14 mm precipitation per 24 hours.

I’m going with the BBC, they say no rain on Saturday.

brakes
    Free Member

Accuweather app.
    Seems pretty accurate for the next couple of days – gives a by-hour forecast for 24hrs. can put in and save locations.
    Loooong (4 week) projections although accuracy of those is somewhat questionable – moreso in summer than winter.

molgrips
    Free Member

BBC for me, seems bang on. But then I look at more than just the rain or sun icons on the main page. They’ve recently changed the way they choose that icon based on the day’s weather, and I’m not sure it’s for the best.

It used to be that they’d put a raindrop on if there was a chance of rain at some point during the day, now they seem to indicate the dominant weather for the whole day. So if there’s a shower forecast but it’s mostly sunny they still put a sun symbol on, but if it rains that day people will think ‘why didn’t they say rain’. Well they did if you looked carefully enough.

If you don’t dig a little deeper when reading weatherforecasts you will ALWAYS be disappointed – fact. BBC use Met Office data and they are one of the best in the world.

The only thing I check is the Buzz section of theweatheroutlook.com. He talks about how the forecast is made and how things are shaping up. Very informative.

MSP

Weatherpro, for smart phone users.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at yr.no, metcheck and Metoffice and yr.no seems to be sat in the middle of both, with Metoffice predicting cloud but limited rain and Metcheck predicting lots of rain on wednesday. Will be interesting to see how bad it is on the day.

nickc

They all adjust/manipulate the weather data they get any way. Some will over predict rain, some give unadulterated rain forecast but lower temps. Depends.

Most ‘accurate ‘ data comes from Gov sources, they tend to be where most of the original data comes from.

molgrips
    Free Member

The weather forecast currently is really ‘rain coming in tonight then cooler, wetter and windier the rest of the week’. Any more accuracy than that for the weekend is asking too much.

wordnumb
    Free Member

BBC seems the most wildly changeable to me, which isn’t to say it’s either more or less accurate than others, it just looks bad when a forecast is entirely different when you check it again an hour later.

But then I only care what the weather’s doing when I need to turn up somewhere undrenched and without dripping mud. Which isn’t often.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Here’s another one…

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk

Otherwise I’ll use the ONHB weather stick. The BBC seem to be getting more inaccurate all the time.

DrP

Aren’t all the above just weather pictograms generated by this site?

DrP

mrhoppy

XC weather has tended to be pretty reliable and as a sea kayaker has the advantage of really good detail on wind speeds. Failing that good old met office, just go direct.

poonprice
    Free Member

I use Forecast.io its an aggregated weather service, collecting data from people like Met Office etc..

amodicumofgnar

Netweather forecasting model discussion!

Seriously a mix of mountain weather and netweather. Sometimes have a look at the rainfall radar projections before going out.

grum
    Free Member

yr.no seems pretty good.

CountZero

WeatherPro for me, their data comes from Meteogroup, who are based in Germany.

They all adjust/manipulate the weather data they get any way. Some will over predict rain, some give unadulterated rain forecast but lower temps. Depends.

Most ‘accurate ‘ data comes from Gov sources, they tend to be where most of the original data comes from.

Eh? The Met Office is part of the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills, whereas Meteogroup are a private global operation. The Met Office have stopped giving long-range forecasts because they’ve been notoriously inaccurate.
    I trust WeatherPro, mainly because whatever modelling they use, they tend to be consistently more accurate than the BBC, and by definition the Met Office, and have been since I started using their app five or so years ago; having satellite and radar views means you can clearly see what the weather is actually doing.
    I’ve just started using an app called SkyMotion, which centers itself on your actual street, in fact to your postcode, and has a lovely simple interface. It’s free, but you get adverts, or pay a small amount without them.
    Been using it for less than 24 hours, so time will tell accuracy wise.
    Looks nice, and dead easy to read, so worth looking at.
    On Android, as well as iOS, too.

MSP

Government sources tend to buy most of their data from Eumetsat.

pictonroad

I’ve been to Met Office training, It’s interesting how they actually forecast and what all that computing power does.

Current feeds come in globally, thousands and thousands of them. In the UK we’re a tiny landmass a lot of them are from bouys out a sea. All this data, humidity, wind speed, temp etc are streamed into the computers. This is then compared to historic info, ie. on this day X years ago the weather at bouy Y was the same as it is today and this was the outcome. All this data of historic trends is crunched in giant computers and used to predict the upcoming weather. It takes an absurd amount of processing just to keep on top of feeds in the UK.

Once the algorithms are run the ‘forecast’ is interpreted by humans, problem is, all it can give is likely indications of future weather conditions based on recorded data, this has to then be turned into a picture on a screen, (30% chance of rain, what do you forecast?)

As soon as one run is finished, the feeds update and another run begins, each time the forecast is updated and is a tiny tiny bit more accurate because the base data is more up to date.

Interestingly they still have hundreds of weather people on the ground filling in records to improve the service, a number of which are still posting in the cards they’ve been filling in for 50 years recording the weather in their gardens. They had rooms of the things a few years ago!

A fascinating day, as to which to believe, go with the BBC, they’re never wrong….

stucol
    Free Member

Metcheck tend to be accurate as to the type/time of weather but in the Glasgow area they always forecast 2-3 degrees below the actual temp.

They are best for spectacular data errors though. Winter days when i head out on the bike with every item of clothing i own on, as the forecast is for -237 degrees c !

That has happened a few times (The day before tomorrow obviously influenced them).

sniff
    Free Member

Yr.no app in landscape FTW

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Which weather service do you believe??’ is closed to new replies.