Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Which – waterproof winter jacket with pit zips ?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

For the last few years I’ve been using a Nike Goretex Packlite jacket for biking in cacky conditions. The 2 things I really liked about it were that it was waterproof and had large pit zips. I got it for £40 from TK Max.

Unfortunately at Mountain Mayhem at the weekend I came off and ripped it.

So what jackets are out there that can take abuse, are waterproof and have pit zips that dont cost a fortune?

Thanks

z1ppy

Not quite in the same category as a Packlite but my Decathlon (walkers not cycling) softshell has huge pitzips and is thick enough for the winter chill, yet to to let in any water even after 2 winters & is cheap as chips.

When last I looked (a while back), these more packable jacket seemed to have pitzips:
    DHB Signal, Endura Venturi II & some versions of the Endura Flyte jacket.

Annoys me throughly that they keep going on about jackets materials being “breathable”, yet none of them will actually deal with the someone sweating while doing intensive activity.. say like cycling!
    Put some fricken pitzips in and it would! I mourn the day Altura [IIRC] sold out to Wiggle, as they used to produce a great jacket with pitzips

velopete
    Free Member

you could try one of these.Theres a few who come out on the store rides wearing them and they seem pretty happy.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    FunkyDunc
    Free Member

z1ppy – I completely agree the only reason for specifying Goretex quality was from the point of view of staying dry, not the pack size or breathability, which I think is impossible cycling, hence the pit zips.

I must ride warm as I have used to use it in temps of -10 with just a short sleeved shirt underneath.

z1ppy

I have to admit being very surprised by the Decathlon softshells waterproofness, much better than I expected. When I say it’s not in the packlite camp, it’s more to say its’ a bulkier jacket and wouldn’t pack down small enough for most ppl.
    Thoughly annoyed at mine, as I’ve yet to damage it over two winters (yes it’s scruffy) as I purchase it in a vile lime green colour (now mud stained) & had hoped to maybe get another in a more subtle black colour… 😉

kiwifiz
    Free Member

Pretty happy with current model Altura attack……has massive pit zips and magnetic top front closure so you can unzip front too……big easy grab tabs on zips for adjusting while riding….tough fabric has survived me bouncing off a few rocks! As for all waterproofs will get pretty toasty in anything above mild conditions, but helped hugely by large pit/front zip opening options. Shop around though as huge variation on pricing….

z1ppy

Wow a return to sensible thinking from Altura, I wasn’t aware of this, cheers for the post Kiwifiz. Attack and attack-X jackets look good.

transapp
    Free Member

Another vote for the attack from me, when it dies, I’ll get another.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Race Face Atlas, fine for all day rides as long as its below about 10C (15C if it’s windy). Added bonus it doesn’t make you look like a very lost fell runner if you need to wear it round town.

footflaps

I mourn the day Altura [IIRC] sold out to Wiggle

In what way?

footflaps

doesn’t make you look like a very lost fell runner if you need to wear it round town.

No chance with my paclite as it has the ‘Karimor International Mountain Marathon’ logo on the front!

timnwild

I like my DHB one -link

My Altura felt great when it worked, but fell to bits really quickly and tore easily too.

The DHB one has fine fleecy material at the , er, collar and cuffs, more and better pockets, more ventilation and is half the price.

z1ppy

footflaps:
    In what way?

Were they not the company the Wiggle purchased, and where basically their DBH stuff comes from? Even though their still being operating as a separate ‘brand’
    As I suggested this is if I IIRC (if I recall correctly), but wiggle definitely purchased someone, and I recall it being Altura. As the year after I bought a DHB coat that was (again IIRC) an Altura copy without pitzips.

I am impressed now to find that DBH make a jacket with pitzips too, maybe the industry/designers are actually beginning to wake up.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Race Face Atlas

there have been many different designs though – I have three different ones at home, but the original one, which now has tears, has been really good and if I could go back in time I would have bought a load of them.

excitable1
    Free Member

I’ve been wearing Endura jackets for years but I wasn’t impressed with the drop in quality last year. I saw these on offer for £150 in January at Wiggle so I pushed the boat out:

http://www.gorebikewear.co.uk/remote/Satellite/PROD_JALPXM?landingid=1212722558082O

Amazing, more waterproof, breathable and warmer than anything I’ve had before and really light you can carry it in your pack. I don’t think it’s got pit zips but it’s not needed them. Really impressed. Same with the gloves too. I might look like a posey rich boy now but TBH it’s worth it. (Not sure I would have paid the full price)

DT78
    Free Member

Another vote for GORE, think it is unlikely I will purchase anything other than their kit from now on. If you buy direct from TGstore they provide a lifetime repair as well.

I was so impressed with my alp-so softshell bought last winter, I also took a punt on the discounted alp-x. It’s sat at the post office waiting for me, and sadly I am quite excited about it.

Going to get more use this summer than I expectdd.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

TGstore they provide a lifetime repair as well

probably a good idea with fragile paclite.

NF do a hyvent DT material which looks like a more robust paclite, but I am have no idea how breathable it is.

onandon
    Free Member

Some great deals around on the Mavic Inferno.
    I picked one up for £70 not so long ago. fantastic quality and fit.

eskimonumber1

NF do a hyvent DT material which looks like a more robust paclite, but I am have no idea how breathable it is.

I’ve had a couple of these over the years and they’re not bad at all.

Pit zips extend from your elbows to half way down your side so breathablity is never a problem.

Its a light material and feels quality made, other than an initial waterproofing problem (it went in a normal clothes wash) I’ve yet to have any issues with either of the jackets and wear them walking, climbing and on my bike all year round.

crftom
    Free Member

These are well worth the money Linky

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Which – waterproof winter jacket with pit zips ?’ is closed to new replies.