• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by hazmo.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Which watch for 10yr old?
  • hazmo

Child 2 is turning 10 and we would like to buy him a nice-ish watch for his birthday.

For him to get the wow factor it needs to be rugged-ish and must include a step counter. He’s not got a phone and most we have seen so far are smart-watches and are (presumably) designed to work best/only work with a mobile?

Does such a thing exist? Any and all suggestions welcome!

sixtoes

Watch the strap widths – when I was looking for a cheap watch for my 11 y/o I found even the ones advertised as for small wrists weren’t small enough. Its worth measuring and checking before purchase.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Casio G-Shock might well have the features you’re looking for.

prettygreenparrot

None unless they’ve asked for one. Today’s kids aren’t that bothered by them judging by my sample of 2.

hazmo

Thanks all.

He’s specifically mentioned he’d like one, and going to double digits seems worthy of getting something half decent.

On the G-Shock, we’ve had a look online but can’t figure out if it needs a phone to see the steps….think we need to head to an actual shop.

Wondering if a Garmin Instinct may fit the bill, with features to unlock when he inevitable gets a phone in a few years time?

Kryton57

https://g-shock.co.uk/gbd-200uu-9er

Other colours available.

petrieboy

Got this for my lad when he was 11 or so I think following a recommendation on here – he likes it and wears it if he’s dressing up if we go out for dinner etc but as above – kids don’t give a **** about watches

https://www.watchshop.com/watches/mens-timex-indiglo-expedition-alarm-chronograph-watch-t45181.pdp

tthew

I’ve got a G Shock GBD 200 that does step counting and looks pretty rugged. It very roughly shows a weeks worth of step count history without an app. For proper history maybe you could put the app on your phone to show him? It’ll reliably link up and download data when in Bluetooth range.

Also have proper poxy wrist because I’ve worn watches too tight since I was young and it’s deformed! 15<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”> cm diameter and there’s a couple of spare holes on the strap, so may fit a 10 year old </span>

stingmered

Got one of these for the 9 y/o last Christmas and he loves it:

Garmin Vivofit

They come in a variety of Disney/Marvel/Starwars characters. Step counter is great and you can ‘gamify’ chores from an app. I.e we set him some chores (tidy his room, music practice, homework etc) and he completes them he gets to access a bit more of a marvel game on his tablet.

Good basic fitness/steps tracker too. Also, and this is the winner for me for a 9 y/o it takes a battery (rather than needing charging every few days) and apparently this lasts over a year-no sign of needing replacement yet!

Edit: doesn’t need a phone for day to day operation btw, but if he has access to a tablet etc you can put the app on there.

Daffy

My 10y old loves his Fitbit Ace 3. It has a step, activity and movement tracker and doesn’t need a phone. Lasts weeks (almost 3) between charges and certainly seems to help keep him active and competitive.

jonnyboi

Vivofit Jr seems like it would be perfect

gauss1777
    Free Member

Wondering if a Garmin Instinct may fit the bill

I have a Garmin instinct and a square G-shock. The G-shock feels more rugged, and suitable for a 10 year old imo. Also, the square G-shocks are cool as. I’d have loved one at that age.

hazmo

Thanks all! Much appreciated, as always.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.