• This topic has 30 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by nikk.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Which urban MTB tyres?
  • luddite
    Free Member

After some 26 x 2 tyres for 90+% road and a bit of towpath.
    What do you use/recommend?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Schwalbe Marathon Plus for least punctures [Maybe, one a year?]
    Marathon Supreme for fastest option.
    Other variations are available too.

zilog6128

City Jets are also pretty good, and very cheap!

jeffl

Halo twin rail

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Conti Travel Contacts are pricy and a bit heavy but very very good. Fast rolling at high pressures and I’m yet to get a puncture in mine after about 5 years! Cope fine with a bit of light offroad too as they have knobbly edges – we originally bought ours for a mixed on / off road tour of the Western Isles 5 years ago and they are still going strong on the commuter today.

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Schwalbe Tabletops, amazing grip and rolling speed on tarmac / dirt / hardpack, grip on wet road is unreal…

Northwind

I’d just use a road tyre for what you describe tbh, unless the towpath’s really dubious. Schwalbe Marathons currently, because they’re cheap and last forever.

andycs

Scwalbe cx comp.

Clobber
    Free Member

Schwalbe Big Apples, I’ve got a set 26×2.35 for sale, let me know if interested, email in profile, they are fantastic fun!

stumpy01

City Jets. Or perhaps Spesh Hemisphere/Crossroads

Klunk
    Free Member

schwalbe hurricanes

colournoise

City Jets +1
    Big Apple +1

At a push (and TBH not sure they still make them) High Roller semi-slicks.

plumber
    Free Member

City jets – lovely

loddrik
    Free Member

Schwalbe Kojak, they grip brilliant on anything that isn’t deep wet mud

cr500dom
    Free Member

2.35″ Schwalbe supermotos, Like a Big Apple on a faster rolling lighter carcass 😀

cr500dom
    Free Member

Clobber – Member

Schwalbe Big Apples, I’ve got a set 26×2.35 for sale, let me know if interested, email in profile, they are fantastic fun!

What colour Clobber ?
    Are they just Black or are they the Funky Brown or Cream ones ?

steviecapt
    Free Member

specialized crossroads armadilo, absolutely bombproof, ive ran these tyres for over 2yrs no punctures and they still have loads of tread left, they roll well on tarmac and do ok when on bike tracks, only downside they are heavy,but when they are this good who cares.

steviecapt
    Free Member

specialized crossroads armadilo, absolutely bombproof, ive ran these tyres for over 2yrs no punctures and they still have loads of tread left, they roll well on tarmac and do ok when on bike tracks, only downside they are heavy,but when they are this good who cares.

Clobber
    Free Member

black….

houndlegs
    Free Member

Schwalbe land cruisers,cheap and bulletproof,ideal for road and towpath.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Clobber – if cr500dom doesn’t have them then I may be interested.

stanleigh
    Free Member

I’d give Continental Country Plus a miss , unless puncture proof is your only priority.

They’re as heavy as Schwalbe Marathons , but don’t ‘tram line ‘ at least.

Feel a bit like the solid rubber tyres your first tricycle had !

rucknar
    Free Member

Not Halo Twin rail.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I have folding Armadillo Crossroads and they are v nice but seriously soft compound – I don’t think they’ll last very long on the road, but it might just be the folding versions that are like this.

I’d stick to less treaded tyres than the Crossroads, but on gravel Cityjets feel a bit sketchy to me in the turns – hence suggesting something with a little tread and a rounder profile [CJs are a bit triangular, which is quick but when you bank the contact patch can be very small] – like standard Marathons, or Pluses.

Clobber
    Free Member

Hi SprocketJockey, give me an email (address in profile) OP doesn’t seem keen.

EDIT: Cr500 not emailed either

DezB
    Free Member

Small Block 8

takisawa2

Clobber, shout if they still don’t go…

cr500dom
    Free Member

Sorry clobber, not needed here, ( i have some supermotos for the urban commuter) but I may have been tempted for a brown set :mrgreen:

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Ive got on really well with my kenda small block 8s but theyre still a bit draggy for mostly road and ive been looking at marathons or big apples

toxicsoks
    Free Member

+1 for Big Apples/Marathons – run a 2.0 BA front and a 1.5 Marathon rear, currently.

nikk
    Free Member

Agree. Light, lots of volume, comfortable, great for loose soft dry like sand etc, great for tarmac rolling. Works for mixed touring esp if trails are reasonably dry.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Which urban MTB tyres?’ is closed to new replies.