Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Which type of debt is better when applying for a mortgage?
  • somouk
    Free Member

My mortgage is due for renewal soon and I have about 3k of credit card debt and about 2k left to pay back to the parents after having the boiler replaced. I pay out about £400 a month paying the two off.

Would the mortgage company see it in a more favourable light if I consolidated it in to a single loan payment of about £200 a month or should I just stick with it and explain the out goings/credit debt when they look at the bank statements?

darrenspink
    Free Member

If you stay with your current mortgage lender they will more than likely just ask you to call them to arrange a new ‘product’ over the phone. Always done that with mine. If so, they won’t need to see any statements 🙂

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve just remortgaged and they took everything into account, not just credit card debt. So utilities, food, petrol, everything. But they focussed on your monthly commitments, not necessarily on the overall value of the debt.

spacemonkey

Isn’t the whole mortgage application process now based on a lot more detail re affordability than before?

somouk
    Free Member

It is indeed more in depth and they typically look at several months of bank statements and the whole monthly incomings and outgoings which is my concern.

Gone are the days of them doing a calculation on your salary and giving you X amount of cash.

Neil-F
    Free Member

Work out your monthly budget and tweek it to look as good as possible.
    I’ve just changed mine and it involved about 45 minutes on the phone, but I made sure I had all my financial gumph to hand.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Sorry thought you already had one (for some reason)! Doesn’t matter then, its still classed as outgoings. Obviously it all depends on how much you earn in comparison.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Which type of debt is better when applying for a mortgage?’ is closed to new replies.