Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Which two points in UK are furthest apart, yet mutually visible?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve been up Cuillins on a very cold, clear day – we reckoned the smudge on the horizon would be – possibly – St Kilda.

Almost 150km and you’d have to look right through the gap between North Uist and Benbecula.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

No you wouldnt – North Uist and Benbecula are low level.

molgrips
    Free Member

As long as you can see the sea on the other side of them of course, then it’d be a possibility. Could be handy for verification actually.

scotroutes

kcal

good work scotroutes!! (needed to zoom my browser like mad for that one..)

This was ages ago, pre 1990 I think, well before any such tools were easily available.

aracer
    Free Member

needed to zoom my browser like mad for that one..

<open image in new tab>
    <click on +>

BigJohn

I’d like an app for my phone so I could hold it up and see what I’m looking at in the distance. (Like Google Sky Map, but for the ground). On lovely clear days on Cannock Chase I’m sure you can see Jodrell Ban.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I’d like an app for my phone so I could hold it up and see what I’m looking at in the distance.

I actually wrote an app that did this a few years ago while at Uni. It was a little rough around the edges but worked. Unfortunately I didn’t find the time to polish it up and publish it. Maybe I’ll go off and re-write it.

kcal

Pekas.AR or similar, isn’t it?

stevomcd
    Free Member

PeakFinder app does this. There are various different regions available. About £2 I think.

tiggs121
    Free Member

If you go up Sneddon Law in Ayrshire you can see Moscow!

Fact!

RustySpanner

Blackpool Tower from Todmorden’s a good spot, given the usual level of grot in the air.
    You can see it from Pendle Hill on a good day, but not managed it yet.

Must be able to see the Lakes/Northumberland from Theively Pike too?
    I’ll have a play later.

You can see Benny Hill from the Pennine Bridleway btw.

portlyone

That panorama website is pretty cool/nerdy

scotroutes

I’ve seen Benny Hill and I was in Edinburgh.

40mpg

I reckon if I stood in the right place in here I could see, well, forever 😀

Pembo
    Free Member

Great website. One day last year I could make out the Wrekin from Rivi pike which is 66 miles acording to that site.

numbnut
    Free Member

I’ve seen the Cheviots from Lochnagar – 111 miles apparently.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Nice to get confirmation that Ailsa Craig is indeed visible from Ben Lomond!

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I’ve ridden London (well Greater London) to Brighton off-road a number of times and it’s quite daunting being on Winterfold (Surrey Hills) and looking to the horizon to see the South Downs and the sea and thinking “Jaysus, we’ve got a long way to go”

Pz_Steve

I’ve seen both Snowdon and The Isle of Arran from the top of Slieve Donard – each more than 100 miles away.

Actually, makes me wonder what are the two furthest apart places in the UK which can be seen from a single location (also in the UK). Arran and Snowdon must be in with a chance on that?

ETA Fairly sure you can see Sacfell Pike from Slieve Donard as well, which is also over 100 miles away. It’s quite a view!

bajsyckel

I’ve seen the Cheviots from Lochnagar – 111 miles apparently.

I’ve almost done the reverse on a few occasions. From the summit of the Cheviot up to the tops of Angus, Mount Keen and Glenshee, over west towards what I thought must be Ben Lomond and Lawers area, and south down the coast to Yorkshire and SW to the Lakes. I’d been told that you should theoretically be able to see Ben Macdui but this (other) cool panorama generator suggests that would instead be Braeriach – though good luck making it out amongst the mass of hills. Cheviot is a good top for long views in several directions. According to that site the view theoretically extends 210km into the Cairngorms, 110km into the North Sea, 159km into the N York moors, and 143km down to the lakes, taking quite a bit of landscape in between.

Slieve Donard suggested above by PZ_Steve looks pretty good for distant views in all directions though – 212km to the SE, 197km to the N, 162km W, 193km E (in theory).

Also RE seeing Norway from the Cairngorms – impossible, but I’ve been on the top of Beinn Mheadhoin or Ben Avon IIRC and seen what looked like mountains “floating” in the distance to the east, seemingly way beyond anything else so understand where the idea might come from. Someone later suggested it could be a result of the inversion and diffraction of the light or some such, but I can’t remember the specifics. Pretty wonderous stuff in any case.

welshfarmer

Of no relevance to this thread whatsoever is this interesting (?) fact. If one were to fly off the eastern edge of the Black Mountains in South Wales in say a microlight and were to maintain your altitude (approx 2000 feet), and were to fly due east you would not, assuming an adequate supply of fuel, crash into another hill until well into the Ural mountains beyond Moscow.

Told you it was irrelevant 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Which two points in UK are furthest apart, yet mutually visible?’ is closed to new replies.