Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Which Touring Pedals ?
  • jiff
    Free Member

Am looking to do LEJOG and intend to do so using SPDs pedals. Question is – which ones ?. I’m used to using SPDs.

Don’t fancy using my normal MTB SPDs, as I anticipate long days in the saddle would just create hotspots on the feet. I’ve looked at several sets of the Shimano sets that are recommended for touring/commute, but most of the clip-in mechanisms appear to still be raised proud of the surrounding platform and may still prove uncomfortable.

I’m not bothered whether they will be double sided or not, I’m looking for the combination of being able to click-in for efficiency, but being able to spread the weight over a larger platform area whilst clipped in.

Anyone any ideas/suggestions please ?.

Ta

irc
    lunge

Proper roadie ones. 105 pedals and some specialized shoes will do the job.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Gribs

I tried some a520’s on my road bike and I couldn’t notice the difference between them and the m540’s I used before. I do use carbon soled Specialized shoes though so they’re very stiff.

scaredypants

I use speedplay frogs with mtb shoes – easy to walk in and a decent cleat size, esp with carbon soloed shoes

If you don’t intend doing much walking, I’d get a “proper” road pedal – maybe Look as they seem to have decent float

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Have you had hot spots before? If not, just use what you have. I wouldn’t fancy touring in road shoes, they make buying cake a pain in the arse.

lunge

I would do real touring in road shoes but lejog is not real touring, it’s just long days in the saddle.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I have both the M324 and A600.

Link to wiggle

M324 Only use them on long jaunts or on the tandem. One side standard spd with platform either side for support and work with my shoes. Other side a flat if I fancy a change

A600 on my road bike. great pedals but will be swapping them for something double spd sided when they die.

jiff
    Free Member

Thanks all.
    I have considered using my roadie shoes & cleats, but I’m just trying to keep carriage & weight down by using the one pair of shoes on and off the bike.

Irc & shep – did you find sufficient platform support with your recommendations ??

Ta

Scapegoat

I do. I use A600s and Spesh Carbon Experts/Northwave Celcius on the roadbike/ commuter, plenty stiff enough.

scotroutes

A520s are OK. I prefer Crank Bros Candys for touring though.

jiff
    Free Member

Much appreciated folks.
    Having looked at reviews and cost, think I’ll go for the A520s.
    Just need to do the ride now…….

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

For that ride I’d look to be using something like the Specialized Tahoe Sport shoe. I’m not a fan of and so would not recommend the M520s as they’re a bit heavy for a road bike. I’ve purchased some Time XC8 ATACs which I’ll be trying out on my new build but I’m not going to recommend them either as I haven’t tried them out yet.
    Regarding hotspots spd pedals aren’t an issue, for me at least on daily rides in excess of 100 miles. Just don’t wear shoes that trap water in. Your feet can get wet but wear woolie boolies or something to keep them warm then at least your shoes will dry out quicker.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Which Touring Pedals ?’ is closed to new replies.