Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Which steel 29er HT? : moon+stick requirement
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

Back after a couple of years off my bike, am looking to rebuild a 29er hardtail from the remaining parts I have left.

Trouble is every time i hone in on a frame its either out of stock for next 12mths, or, it’s geo ends up proving too short and/or gnar for my weird physique and skillset.
    I’m 6’1″ with short legs for height and long torso. Typically ride a size large/19″ but get away with 20″/XL pending geo.

For reference am located on South Downs and primarily ride here, but also North Downs/Surrey Hills as well as planning occasional trail centre trips.

Im looking for a blend of XC leaning towards trail fun as and when skills come back to me.

I *think* I want something:

Steel
    130 to 140mm travel
    Quite long (definitely not bunched up)
    Fairly low
    Comfy on 3 – 4hr+ rides
    Min 2.4 tyre on rear

Currently top of list in rough order:

Ragley Bigwig
    Sonder Signal ST
    Production Privee GT
    Chromag Rootdown
    Solaris Max
    Kona Unit(?)

Considered but now written off:

Stif Squatch (lead to believe not suitable for all day rides as too short when seated)

Main concern is buying something too radical for my constitution and feeling overbiked. At the same time, I don’t really want to perma-bimble and have to hold back when gravity takes over. Am also being thrown by modern geo and cockpit length – I definitely want to avoid being bunched up when seated.

Previous bike was a Stooge and am considering more of the same, but I think in reality I’d prefer going back to a suspension fork up front.
    Prior to that my history is steel hardtails, 45650b (briefly), Inbred, Soul, Kona Unit, OnOne Ti 29er.
    Nothing as ‘long and low’ as modern standards other than the Stooge which felt massive, but very comfy.

I welcome advice on any of the above or new recommendations. Stock levels are a nightmare atm so am even considering switching to 650b (Ragley Piglet perhaps?) but this will be a PITA as I already have half decent 29er wheels albeit non-boost.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Worth waiting for the incoming Bird steel 29er HT?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

If you are looking at the big wig, you should also look at the Big Al.

Hardtail Party recently reviewed them both back to back and it came out on top of the big wig.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Worth waiting for the incoming Bird steel 29er HT?

Haven’t seen that one, how is it looking?
    I did briefly take a look at their website but only saw gnarpoons and alu frames

davros

The big Al may be worth considering

slimjim78
    Free Member

Hardtail Party recently reviewed them both back to back and it came out on top of the big wig.

Funny enough I watched those reviews earlier today. I get that the Alu frame might feel lighter on acceleration but I’m very much a fan of steel. Never say never though, the way stock levels are I may well end up going back to the dark side.

jimdubleyou

The PX Big Dog was my choice of steel/new geo 29er.

I’m 6ft/31” leg and the large fits.

oldnpastit

Stanton?
    Don’t dismiss aluminium.

slimjim78
    Free Member

https://www.bird.bike/new-29-hardtails-2021/

Thanks for link. Looks great, bit concerned by ‘aggressive geo’ and lack of details and time frame tho.
    Perhaps one for me to consider if I’m still on the lookout in coming months

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

As has been mentioned above, and in stock – On-One/Planet X Big Dog?

slimjim78
    Free Member

The PX Big Dog was my choice of steel/new geo 29er.

Good shout. Was on my initial list but lack of colour options other than ‘we messed up somewhere along the line black’ plus repeated bad experiences with the company have put me off. Not to mention their absolute nerve of pricing the frames at £700 for best part of a year when they were first selling them for £175.
    Sorry, they can Do-One

jimdubleyou

Sorry, they can Do-One

Fair enough. Not sure I’d buy another on-one unless it’s titanium.

Clink

Pace 529?

rents
    Free Member

Singular Swift? I have one in large with 120mm fox forks and it’s rapid everywhere.

rents
    Free Member

For the right price 😉

samuelr
    Free Member

Pipedream sirius s5

dc1988

When I was looking for a hardtail a couple of years ago and couldn’t find quite the right geometry I went for a custom Marino frame. I got exactly what I wanted for less than anything that wasn’t quite right.

funkmasterp

Stanton Sherpa maybe? I wouldn’t discount the Stif offering. I’ve owned a lot of steel hardtails over the years and the only one I genuinely regret selling is the Stif Morf. Don’t know what it was, but it just suited me to a tee and was used for pretty much everything. If I was looking for a new bike the Squatch would likely be top of the list.

slimjim78
    Free Member

for a custom Marino frame. I got exactly what I wanted for less than anything that wasn’t quite right.

Woah, that prices up favourably! Any further fall out with customers post ‘Sick’ debacle?..

davros

I’m 6’1 on an xl signal ti. Awesome frame. If the steel version is similarly comfortable then I’d recommend it. Should be easy to get a demo too, once they’ve reopened!

slimjim78
    Free Member

I’m 6’1 on an xl signal ti

Interested to know what made you go for the XL? And how does it fit?

Do you happen to have a pic of it built up?

slimjim78
    Free Member

Squatch would likely be top of the list.

Was top of mine (XL), but, was realibly informed that it’s more AM leaning and not great for all-round duties due to that steep STA.

davros

I went for an xl as I was researching potential frames using the geometrygeeks website to compare and noticed the reach was almost identical to a large Solaris, which I also fancied. And I wanted to try a longer frame. I was on a tarn which was longer than the equivalent signal so didn’t want to go shorter. Got a demo and it fitted well so went for it.

Icy hell ride

cromolyolly
    Free Member

You’ve pretty much hit every bike I’ve considered. I’d add the Kona Honzo st.

I’d also 2nd the Pipedream Sirius. Seems a really good balance of not too anything.
    The NS Eccentric cromo looks nice but might be a bit too AM for what you want.
    The Marin Pine Mountain might also be worth a look.

The Nordest Britango and Sardinhia would be a good fit for what you want to use it for. But Europe. So may not be able to get one for some time. If ever. Which is a great shame.

dc1988

Sick! screwed Marino over by ordering lots of frames, selling them but not paying Marino for them. Marino is still ticking along nicely AFAIK, I think there’s a bit of a wait for his frames but they are custom, good value and coming from Peru

daver27
    Free Member

Pipedream Moxie or Sirius.

I’m on the south downs if you fancy checking out a movie (from a distance of course)

Whereabouts are you based?

chiefgrooveguru

For riding around here but still being fine with much gnarlier riding, there’s a lot of choice.

As you’ve spotted, watch out for the steeper seat angles – with straight seat tubes then any more than about 74 deg static (so about 75.5 at sag) is too steep for lengthy pedalling on the flat. Full-sus bikes are often steeper but they get slacker when they sag and most of them aren’t quoting the effective seat angle at pedalling height, so reality is slacker than the chart claims.

My hardtail is at about 76 deg sagged and I slide the saddle back and have high bars so it’s ok but it’s on the limit of steepness for mile munching. Fine for winch and plummet but I’d rather lap Wild Park on my ebike!

Crazy slack head angles feels fine once you get used to them, and shorter stems speed up the steering feel. I find it rather relaxing to have a hardtail that’s so reassuring at speed (~64 deg static so ~65.5 sagged).

If you can get hold of a SolarisMAX I doubt you’ll be disappointed.

Bear in mind that Cotic (and a few others) quote their geometry sagged whilst everyone else quote the static figures, so it’s quite confusing comparing. You roughly have to add 1.5 deg to the angles, add 20mm to the reach, take 30mm off the stack and take 10mm off the BB height to go from static to sagged on a typical hardtail.

joebristol

Marino are ok- you’ll get almost exactly what you’re after eventually. First ride on mine today and love it. Took the geo of the Vitus Sentier I liked, shortened the seat tube, lengthened the head tube, slackened the head angle a bit abs slightly stretched the reach. Left the seat angle relatively slack though as didn’t want it to feel short sat down on longer rides.

It took ages to arrive and they slightly ignored how I asked for interval cable routing – but it’s ended up looking super clean. Rides like a dream as an all rounder and the back end feels softer than the alloy Sentier. Might be the steel ca aluminium but I’ve also gone from 2.3” tyres to 2.6” so there’s a chance that’s had more impact 🤔

The frames aren’t at the lighter end of steel – reckon mines 3.1kg with rear axle and seat clamp fitted. I did go for iscg05 mounts though, plus the seat tube gusset and a tapered head tube. It is Reynolds 725 though.

I was also looking at the Pipedream Moxie but decided as I’m not found proper plus on 650b the bb would be too low. As a 29er it would be good though. And that metallic pink colour looks 🥰

Some Marino bike spam:

devbrix
    Free Member

Have a built M/L Rootdown 2020 in yellow which has hardly been ridden which I will be selling when the weather improves. Comfortable ride and not stupidly long/low/slack etc. 160 Pikes on but have kit to reduce back to 140. PM if the right size and you are interested and will supply the parts list and pics.

milfordvet
    Free Member

Surly Karate Monkey.

Spa are getting some frame and forks in mid March in most colours and sizes.

Its a very adaptable bike. The rear gnot boost thing can take all wheel standards. Rigid front fork is 120 corrected I think. Loads of mounts. 29 or 27.5+ if you ever fancied it. Head angle about right for all dayers but not nervous. Its not low though, but that can affect crank length or rock strikes. It looks like a good moderate bike to me. Don’t have one but i’d maybe swap my Swift for that. £680 f and fork which is frankly going rate these days. ‘In stock’ is quite a remarkable site these days if they get them. If you’re buying sus forks make sure you’ve lined up what you’re getting coz alot if stuff either isn’t available or will be full price.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Pipedream Moxie or Sirius.

Yeah I fell for that pink Moxie but not sure I’m man enough to do a Moxie justice. I’ll double check the geo.

Sirius also looks great, slightly less travel on fork and not sure about this year’s colours, but yeah, worth considering.

Would be good to take a gander at one, I’m near Shoreham, are you local?

daver27
    Free Member

@slimjim78, I’m in Storrington, so not far at all and mines a pink one… finding it to be a fantastic thing to ride anywhere. Got a slightly heavy build on it at the mo, mostly due to heavy tyres with inserts. It’s rapidly becoming my favourite bike

slimjim78
    Free Member

Thanks for all of your advice on this topic – was good food for thought.

I actually came very close to securing an *aluminium* frame (Ragley Big Al as recommended above) but after many phonecalls to many dealers I was offered a Ragley Bigwig frame in my size and best colour so it was too good an opportunity for me to turn down.

It’s slim pickings out there, grab what you can!

intheborders
    Free Member

Good shout. Was on my initial list but lack of colour options other than ‘we messed up somewhere along the line black’ plus repeated bad experiences with the company have put me off. Not to mention their absolute nerve of pricing the frames at £700 for best part of a year when they were first selling them for £175.
    Sorry, they can Do-One

It’s just capitalism.

For me the £1000 and 10 months interest free I paid in the autumn for an On One Scandal suits me fine – they’re £1400 today. I wouldn’t underestimate what these can do, and nothing I’ve yet been on in the Tweed Valley has phazed it.

chiefgrooveguru

BigWig looks great, nice geometry!

daver27
    Free Member

Excuse the mess, or pick holes, i don’t mind.

Moxie

slimjim78
    Free Member

BigWig looks great, nice geometry

Fingers crossed! Seemed like a good balance

slimjim78
    Free Member

Excuse the mess, or pick holes, i don’t mind.

Love the look of the Moxie, and what a colour

lucasshmucas

That Moxie looks amazing!

I’ve been following this thread with interest. The comments about steep seat tubes and pedalling on the flat gave me a bit of pause for thought, but despite that have pulled the trigger on a Squatch. The way I look at is that the Squatch appears to have a lot of upside in terms of fun and ride feel. I’ve not tried a bike with a steep seat tube for myself so who knows? I might love it and I might hate it, but I felt like the potential upside outweighed the downside, and if it doesn’t work out I can always sell it on, having learned a little more about what I like and don’t like.

The one thing that’s clear from this thread is that current levels of supply notwithstanding, there are so many great bikes being made.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Which steel 29er HT? : moon+stick requirement’ is closed to new replies.