Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Which stans rim?
  • saxon1989
    Free Member

So I’m stuck in this dilemma….
    Crests flows or arch
    So I’m just over 70kg and ride fs on single track and xc.
    Im no pro, however still learning the ropes and want rims that will stand the test of time.
    So dilemma continues. I’ve kinda figured would be safe to choose arch as its in the middle. However there’s just no super deals out the for the arch wheelsets.
    And plenty for the other 2..
    So as I’m light will the crests be strong enough for trail?
    And will the flows be too heavy for climbing and xc?

RealMan
    Free Member

You’ll probably be fine on crests, I’ve been doing horrible things to my 355s for years now (sort of like an older version of the crest) and apart from a few superficial dings they’re fine. I’m a bit lighter then you, but on a hardtail.

stevied
    Free Member

I was in a similar dilemma a while ago. 90kgs riding weight and riding a 6″ full sus. Decided on the Flow as I’d rather have a bit of extra strength than slightly lighter weight. They have served me well so far and are easy to set up tubeless if that’s on your list.
    I did think of Arch EX but, as you say, no real deals on them..

orangeboy
    Free Member

I’m a little lighter 60 kg , and use stans mmx on my hardtail
    And arch ex on my enduro
    Always been impressed how much stans stuff can take , I’d say stick with crest for xc and normal riding

The only wheel of there’s that I’ve buggered is my race gold but did use them
    On a cx bike where I should have used mtb

tom200

I have an arch ex 29er on the rear. Seems to be strong enough for me 70kg rinsing a hardtail mostly on “aggressive xc”.

saxon1989
    Free Member

Wow this is mixing things up..

smatkins1
    Free Member

Sounds like Arch Ex’s are the rim for you.

I wouldn’t let the lack of deals available stop you getting the wheels which are right for you. Either wait or splash the cash 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Crest.

Baldysquirt

I’m 12 stone (don’t do metric weight) and have been running crests for a couple of years – first on a FS and since on a HT. Both ridden on quite rocky trails. They’ve needed a bit of truing and have the odd ding. I’d probably choose flow ex for new wheels in the future, but I’ve been more than happy with the crests.

saxon1989
    Free Member

Baldysquirt. Why would you buy flows if your happy with crest?

saxon1989
    Free Member

smatkins1: your confirming my thoughts just not my wallet 😉

tomd
    Free Member

Arch on the back and crest on the front. Best of both worlds, although it may offend the matching tyres / matching wheels brigade.

I have a set of arches (2 year old) on a hardtail that gets ridden lots all over the place and they have been great. Although I’m not sure the Crest at 40g lighter would have been different!

saxon1989
    Free Member

Ok. Too narrow this down a little. Should I wipe the superstar stans wheelset off the table and either go secondhand or new hope?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Crest here on my trail hardtail. About the same weight as you but they still get a hammering and they’ve been fine for a couple of years now. Keep the Flows for the bigger bike and Alps trips.

If it’s 29er though I’d probably be considering some of the new carbon AM rims (probably direct from China jobbies.)

Edit: Think the superstar ones are fine but I went Hope. They’re decent hubs, I’ve got all the bits to service them, and getting parts is easy.

saxon1989
    Free Member

Good point, should have mentioned that 26″

honourablegeorge

30kg heavier than you with crests on my Soul, they’ve held up to jumps and all sorts, no issues.

saxon1989
    Free Member

Also if this helps narrow down I’m going to be running maxxis minion folding on front 2.35. Rear not sure yet may keep my ignitor and see how it goes.
    So do crests run 2.35?

saxon1989
    Free Member

How big jumps? I’d say my current skill 4ft drop would be doable

honourablegeorge

saxon1989 – Member

So do crests run 2.35?

2.4 Nobby Nics on mine, tubeless, perfect.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’m currently running the 2.35 minion on the front on a Crest. It’s fine.

Edit: Big drops to flat? Difficult to say… depends on too many factors. If you plan on giving them a really hard time then maybe Flows are a better bet. For UK trail riding though I’d go Crest.

saxon1989
    Free Member

Swaying to crest now????

saxon1989
    Free Member

This isn’t getting easier

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just get some hope hoop Crests, stop thinking about it, and get on with enjoying your riding 🙂

honourablegeorge

For singletrack/xc, you can’t go wrong with Crests

Arch EX will give you a tougher rim for a small weight penalty, so plenty scope if you want to hit stuff harder, but if your wheels are on the ground, no need.

Baldysquirt

Mainly because I’m running bigger and bigger tyres, but also because they probably are a tad fragile. But then 2 years has been a good innings.

brakes
    Free Member

Hope Hoop Crests. Great wheels.
    Get some stronger ones if you break them, which you won’t, you’re light.
    I find they flex, especially the back which you can sometimes feel, and they judder under hard breaking on steep grippy stuff – but that’s bad riding rather than bad wheels…

saxon1989
    Free Member

I dont intend to go anywhere extreme anytime soo but maybe wales at somepoint.
    Going to put it out there. Anybody got some arches they would like to sell?

twonks

I’m 100KG+ and have ridden 355 rims on Pro 2 hubs for around 4 years.

On my FS and whilst I don’t jump silly, I like to rattle along trail centres and the peaks etc.

Mine never put a foot wrong and have not been touched since buying from Wheelpro, until recently when the 2nd trip down the extreme DH course that is Sherwood ( lol ) resulted in the front wheel snapping.

Can’t remember if it was cause or effect, but I have now replaced the wheels with a set of Arch Ex from 18bikes. 🙂

If built properly the Crest will be fine for you I suspect.

shredder
    Free Member

BOR Rims to Pro 2’s from Moonglu.
    Around the same profile as the Arch lots of custom options as well.
    Have a set on my Soul very nice
    These

Furious

Crests (Hope hoops) on my Heckler. I ride in the Peaks, I’ve ridden in the Alps, I ride trail centres (including Stiniog) and I’ve just been on a jumps course. I keep worrying I’ve got the wrong wheels but 18 months later they’re still going strong (and true). Obviously, your experience may differ but as an 85 kilo, ham fisted rider with little finesse I’ve been happy with mine.

GHill

I prefer the tyre profile of the wider rims, YMMV.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Crests are the answer

nuke

I’ve got Flow, 355 and Crest (29ers). They have all stood up well but on the real rough stuff I do possibly ride a bit more cautiously when I’m on the 355s or Crests where as with the Flows I just barrel down anything. I probably have nothing to worry about and a lot will depend on a lot of other factors such as rider weight (I’m the same as you) and things like tyre choice and pressure (Lot more confident on the rough stuff on the Crests with meatier Smorgabord fitted as opposed Racing Ralphs). Do notice a bit of flex in the 355 as well. If you doing jumps (or intend to be), want to push yourself and thinking more DH orientated tyres like Minions then I’d get Arch EX…Pay a little extra but you’ll get a great wheelset.

saxon1989
    Free Member

I really appreciate everyone’s input! So far seems like crests are a good choice. However I think id rather not have a snapped front wheel in the future. So I think I’ll just either sit it out and wait for some arch ex’s to come on eBay or bite the bullit! And play it safe…
    Never knew choosing wheels would be soo difficult! Lol

andywill

Crest. I have seen 355’s take quite a battering, so covinced me to go with 355’s & they have been fine with me.

saxon1989
    Free Member

Different question slightly. Will my maxxis folding std tyres go tubeless and if so do I need to add sealant inside?

saxon1989
    Free Member

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hope-hoops-pro2-evo-mtb-wheelset/
    Available in arch ex to order for 290
    Good deal? Can also get £5 off voucher by signing up to newsletter.
    Anyone got any better codes??

Superficial
    Free Member

Different question slightly. Will my maxxis folding std tyres go tubeless and if so do I need to add sealant inside?

Yes, and yes. You’ll either need a rimstrip or tubeless-specific rim tape (the hope/stan’s kit is an easy way to do it).

Some people ride DH on Flows, to give you an idea of their strength. They’re a but heavy ish for general XC thrashing but they’re solid, dependable and wide enough that they give a nice tyre shape. I’d probably choose Arches if I was buying again, but more than happy with my Flows.

saxon1989
    Free Member

Hi guys and girls
    Just put my self out of misery and bit the bullet!
    Ordered a set of arch ex on hopes.
    Payed more than I intended too. But I’m sure they will be worth it.
    Thanks again for all your help. Was a close one in the end.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Which stans rim?’ is closed to new replies.