Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Which Stane?
  • colournoise

As part of our upcoming road trip, got a couple of days staying in Moffat. Which western Stane(s) is best to go for?

Not ridden any of them before. Ae is closest I think, but is it worth heading further out for Kirroughtree or Dalbeattie?

Currently thinking about a Mabie/Ae double header for a day – good idea?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Moffat is probably nearer the lakes than it is to kirro!.

I’d go Tweed valley tbh. Ae is pretty dung as a TC, off piste stuff is ace. Dalbeattie good, but lots of folk moan it’s too much fire road, and it’s quite far.
    No been to mabie for years, drumlanrig is decent in a local woods type way.

colournoise

Going to the Lakes after Moffat…

Have done Glentress and Inners perviously. Wanted to try somewhere new.

Drumlanrig looks doable, so maybe that and Mabie if Ae is pants (always thought it had a decent rep?).

gfrew88
    Free Member

30 minutes to innerleithen? or some amazing road riding from moffat head for ale water valley.

colournoise

Road!?!

Only bike I’l have with me is the 26+ Rocket…

Stoner
    Free Member

Dalbeattie is a cracker with a great out there feeling to it.
    Kirroughtree has always been my favourite though
    Mabie is shorter but really varied.

I get up to D&G once I have year for work and am able to take the bike and I always get to KT and then either Mabie or DB on the way back home.

Always done on rigid singlespeeds as well.

Have never really liked AE though.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Dalbeattie is pretty quick to get to from MoFfat. Road to Dumfries is good. Fair trek to kirro though. Could do Dalbeattie and mabie if you have time.

I like Dalbeattie a lot.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Ae isn’t pants, you just need to be fairly fit as there’s a fair amount of climbing. I’d do Ae on the way up to Moffat, ask in the shop about some natural stuff…

Glentress / Innerleithen are both well within striking distance of Moffat and are both ace.

garryfmacdonald
    Free Member

Also, plenty excellent natural riding around Moffat.

fifeandy
    Free Member

+1 for Dalbettie

Northwind

If you’re up for exploring the offpistes and dh, Ae is fantastic. Otherwise, I wouldn’t bother personally. It’s not awful, it’s just less good than everything else around it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What he said. If you get a chance, get over on a Tuesday about half 6, locals have a couple of hours on the off piste stuff, then it’s a 5er for a main, pudding and a coffee or soft drink. Always a good night.

dufusdip
    Free Member

I’ve only done Ae, Kirroughtree, GlenT and inners but that’s my order of (increasing) preference.

Ae is flow and up and down all the time and you never feel like you get a good decent until the very last bit of Omega man.

Kirroughtree was more technical features on the climb, granite slabs interesting but the black is a load of climbing, so strenuous rather than tough features on the down.

GlenT natural stuff is amazing and Spooky is always fun, as is Cool Running. A lot of the red is cutting up.

Inners is a big up and then down. Caddon bank is fantastic. Never tried much natural there but tons if you’re looking off piste.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Which Stane?’ is closed to new replies.