Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Which SS chain??
  • kinda666
    Free Member

Looking for a new 1/8th SS chain, been using a pc7x but i've been having problems breaking the rollers (6 on 2 different chains), seems to happen when standing on short sharp climbs, so looking for something a bit more heavy duty, but not mega heavy!
    Any thoughts?

zangolin
    Free Member

Izumi Supertough V Track Racing – got one on my track bike. Not cheap but tough + top quality. If it can stand the power of a world class sprinter then should be ok on an MTB.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=IZUMCHAI250000000000

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

I've been very happy with my Gusset 1/2 link chain. Mines a 3/32 size but they do a 1/8th and it's very shiny (V-important) can be tuned to length easier than a "proper chain" (less important) and doesn't seem to stretch more than any other chain I've used (not very important at all really) and it's not mega-bucks either

Did I mention that it looks quite nice?

TR

P.S. Charliethebikemonger is your man

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kinda666
    Free Member

Don't get the half link chain thing, surely 1 half link in a normal chain would get the same result??

Haze

Sram PC1 works for me…

kinda666
    Free Member

Mmmmm my PC1 worked ok tbh, only had problems when i changed to a PC7X, but i was putting it down to me being quite heavy and putting to much pressure on the chain, so thinking something a bit stronger!

JxL
    Free Member

I use a KMC x9 (i think), it works so far 🙂 also have a KMC K710 for sale at £11 if you want, its quite fat though.

kinda666
    Free Member

KMC K710 for sale at £11 if you want, its quite fat though.

So am I 😳

JxL
    Free Member

haha, fair enough. Im a skinny thing (65kg) so not a lot of power going in hence a thin chain.

kinda666
    Free Member

Is it the SL version?? How much use has it had??

Dibbs
    Free Member

i've been having problems breaking the rollers (6 on 2 different chains)

Surely the pressure exerted on the rollers on a geared bike would be much higher than a SS under certain gearing, shouldn't you be looking for the cause of the problem rather than the solution?

kinda666
    Free Member

32/16 going up steep inclines, standing up out of the saddle, just about managing to turn the pedals is when it usually happens! BTW i'm 17 stone! Was hoping the problem was either a) my chain wasn't up to the job, or b) i'm too fat! or a combo of both, and the solution was a better chain! 🙂

zaskar
    Free Member

8 spd chains work fine but specific ss or bmx chains are stronger.

neilb67
    Free Member

KMC here Chris. Never broke one in all my years of singlespeeding… 😆

I can pick you up a chain from work if you want. Weve got some we us on decoilers that can turn a 25t coil so should be alright for you…

mick_r

Another vote for Izumi track chains. A regular silver one is £10 and never had any problems with them. Know lots of people using Izumis and never ever seen one fail (I've been using them for 6 years).

I've seen a number of half link chains break in various manners (split rollers on one type, multiple links splaying open on another, cracking around rivet holes on yet another…..).

Del

buy something comensurate with the value of other drivetrain parts, so if your rear cog and front ring both cost a tenner each, spend about a tenner.
    i use izumi super toughness v suggested above. very good, but weighty ( i guess like all the fat chains are ).
    half link chains have their uses, but if you have a decent way of tensioning, they are superfluos IMHO.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

KMCZ510. Hardwearing and cheap.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

KMC Kool (K710) on my SS, very strong and shaped to keep the chain on better than a normal shaped chain.

Have the SL version on my track bike and BMX and had no problems with any of them

thomthumb
    Free Member

izumi are v good – stretch less than other chains. i rum the kmc bmx 'race' chain on my SS which is good.

dont get halflink chain if your a serial chain snapper – they're not up to much.

kinda666
    Free Member

buy something comensurate with the value of other drivetrain parts, so if your rear cog and front ring both cost a tenner each, spend about a tenner.
    i use izumi super toughness v suggested above. very good, but weighty ( i guess like all the fat chains are ).
    half link chains have their uses, but if you have a decent way of tensioning, they are superfluos IMHO

WI freewheel and a goldtec/betd ring upfront! Looks like an Izumi supertoughness v then!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Which SS chain??’ is closed to new replies.