Which "sport" would be the easiest to get an olympic place for?

Home Forum Chat Forum Which "sport" would be the easiest to get an olympic place for?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Which "sport" would be the easiest to get an olympic place for?
  • Premier Icon 10
    Subscriber

I’m going for archery.

Premier Icon porter_jamie
    Subscriber

pistol shooting?

Zoolander

Mtb. Seriously.
    Get proper fit first though

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

I reckon a few on here would have a decent shout of a medal in the mtb ๐Ÿ˜‰ (based on what they tell us anyway)

monkeyboyjc

this is the US statistics..

Equestrian for Man and Handball for Women…..
    both closely followed by cycling.

Premier Icon steveoath
    Subscriber

10 – take it you’ve never lifted a bow then?? Incredibly competitive at club level in uk.

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

In all seriousness, at this olympics it was handball. There was no GB team to speak of before the games so I think they held open trials or something.

Hadge

pistol shooting?

Seriously??? Sorry but it shows complete ignorance at just how good you have to be in another sport but you can make flippant comments. When I was competing many years ago to compete in “major” championships you had to achieve scores that broke UK records. To compete in International events such as the Olympics you had to break world records. So put that into context against another sport such as the 100m race hey. Our sprinters had to achieve a time that few people could ever ever do so please understand, shooting is exactly the same.

lazybike

Horse prancing….

Premier Icon DavidB
    Subscriber

To compete in International events such as the Olympics you had to break world records.

Seems a bit odd to me .. is every competitor really a word record breaker or do you mean get close? Or are shooting world records dead easy to break?

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

roman greco wrestling ๐Ÿ˜€

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

To compete in International events such as the Olympics you had to break world records.

Think you’re confusing pistol shooting with hyperbole. Hyperbole isn’t a recognised olympic sport yet, but if if was it would be twice as difficult as all the other sports put together, even if you included hyperbole as one of them. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hadge

World Records are set in certain championships, just as in any sport like running so you could possibly break a record but “unofficial” if you know what I mean. You had to get very close but breaking them sort of guaranteed a position in a major championship and that’s all I’m trying say.
    I’m sure there are plenty of people on shooting forums how think it would be easy race in the Olympics in the mtb race after watching todays race but we know it’s not that easy.

cynic-al

Have to say, I too am struggling with Hadge’s post.

Must be a lot of record breaking in that sport.

Hadge

If Bolt runs 9.5 seconds in training it won’t count as it’s not at a recognised event – now do you understand? But it’s not that easy and you know that. What I was trying say is people who don’t do other sports really don’t understand what’s required to compete at the very very top and be involved in such things as the Olympics. Just as any idiot can ride a bike, any idiot can shoot – but to compete at the very very top level isn’t easy and we all know that. I’ve done shooting at the top level and I know racers who compete at the top level and it’s NOT easy to do.

warton

I’m still going with shooting. It’s basically holding something very well isn’t it?

glupton1976

I think hadge is trying to say that you had to be getting the equivalent of a world record breaking score in practice before you were considered for the team. I have no doubt the Bolt will be getting near the 9 second mark in practice, but has no chance of ever getting there when under the pressure of a world class competition.

lazybike

It’s basically holding something very well isn’t it?

๐Ÿ™„

Hadge

I’m with mountain biking as it’s basically just pedalling and any idiot can do that surely? This forums full of people who say they can lol.

beefheart

Judo- look at the state of this guy :

Subscriber

warton – Member
    I’m still going with shooting. It’s basically holding something very well isn’t it?

Careful now. Hadge is a bit confused and he has a gun, don’t make him angry!

lazybike

Think of all the salads he had to give up to make the weight….

loum

Taekwondo, make sure you’re nowhere near no.1 standing to have the best chance. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hadge

Careful now. Hadge is a bit confused and he has a gun, don’t make him angry!

It’s my age I’m afraid and yes I have a gun but it’s not like the ones I used to have hehehe. I know I should let stupid remarks go by but it’s easy pick on a sport you know nothing about and I was just defending one I did and know the level required to compete at the very highest level and please understand, it’s NOT just about holding something still.

Premier Icon 10
    Subscriber

10 – take it you’ve never lifted a bow then?? Incredibly competitive at club level in uk.

Yep, lifted a bow. I’m not in the U.K. either. I’ll let you know how I get on. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Premier Icon DavidB
    Subscriber

Holding stuff still and pointing it?

Like dressage which is telling your horse to do it properly all the time.

glupton1976

I’m thinking modern pentathlon might be a good shout.

bwaarp

Judging by how many people are really really dire shots I take issue with this. There’s a lot of technique involved in shooting, it’s not like COD where you point and shoot.

I can place 5 rounds through the same hole at 25M with an unscoped .22 rifle, I’d wager a bet you wouldn’t be able to do the same even with a year of practice. Hell, I can often split paper targets in half – yes – by shooting at the thin bit.

mudshark

I suspect any of the under funded sports – but you need to be well off for most of them. Fencing maybe? I used to fence at a reasonable level but am not precious about it like some others seem to be about their sports.

GW

Any Womens event

b r

Horse prancing….

Need a horse, that’s capable of qualifying – so think +ยฃ100k min.

legend

There’s a lot of technique involved in shooting

Technical holding and lever squeezing then?

deadlydarcy

Depends on your age and how much spare time you’ll have for the next three years, but for the great majority of STWers (even the awesome ones), sorry, none of them.

spudly1979

could you just pick a country first, then pick a sport they don’t compete in as yet? Say compete for a tiny south sea island, like the Cooke Islands, then take up fencing? If there’s only one person competing for a place from that country…..?

Subscriber

GW – Member
    Any Womens event

depends on how easily you reckon you can pass yourself off as a woman I suppose

Hadge

So please tell me what’s difficult about the mountain biking event then? Pedalling and steering? How hard can that be?

deadlydarcy

The more you reply Hadge, the more they’ll keep saying how easy it is. ๐Ÿ™‚ Rise above it, maaaaaan.

legend

MTB:
    Balance
    Pedal
    Steer
    Brake
    Jump
    Drop
    Manual
    Skid
    Cake

Shooting:
    Stand
    Point
    Squint
    Move index finger

bwaarp

Technical holding and lever squeezing then

Breath control, muscle relaxation, heartrate control, shot timing, emotional control (as hormonses have an affect on your nervous system) and natural ability.

MTB:
    Balance
    Pedal
    Steer
    Brake
    Jump
    Drop
    Manual
    Skid
    Cake

Shooting:
    Stand
    Point
    Squint
    Move index finger

Your comparing apples to oranges. If you wanted a better comparison, compare track cycling to indoor shooting

If you want to compare shooting to mountain biking you should compare it to sniping (not many squaddies are good enough to ever think about making it as snipers just based on their shooting ability – without even hitting fieldcraft) or outdoor Bisley type events.

Some of the skills needed:

Emotional Control
    Wind and Elevation judgement
    Muscle group control
    Muscle memory
    Breath control
    Heartrate control
    Shot timing
    Sharp Eyesight
    You don’t just pull the trigger either – you breathe in deep twice, exhale and after 5-10 seconds you take the shot. Timing. You then hold on target for a while before thinking about readying the next shot.

etc etc etc etc

Unlike MTB it’s a very calm calculated sport – it gives me a different kick to adrenalin sports. It’s more like meditation.

loum

So it’s like braking, but when you’re already still.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Which "sport" would be the easiest to get an olympic place for?’ is closed to new replies.