Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Which SLX front mech – one for the spotters
  • Scamper
    Free Member

Trying to find out the exact spec on my 09 Stumpy 9 speed triple chain ring(and also the double and bash version).

Spec sheet says its a M660 Top swing. However it is actually bolted directly on a frame boss rather than using a clamp. Or does the M660 come with bits for both mounting techniques?

Thanks

Mister-P
    Free Member

I reckon that is an FD-M660E, a bottom bracket mounted front mech with the BB mount plate removed and bolted to the frame.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Does it look like this without the lower curved black piece?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Sounds like a direct mount to me:

M661?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Direct mount are conventional FD-M661 only.

sv

Think the DMD M665 E is the compact double version, bought mine from Spain! (for a Pitch)

Scamper
    Free Member

In the office working hard, but looks more like the first pic with that BB mounting bit removed ie another bolt through that other hole. I think there is also a third mounting hole further up too.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Is it def top swing scamper?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Yep, anything denoted FD-M665 is double top swing.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I would gamble a packet of Jaffa Cakes it is the E type with the plate removed.

foxyrider
    Free Member

09 Stumpjumper HT Frameset has a frame braze at the BB shell:

So looks like as above the E-Type with the bracket removed and bolted to the BB mounted bracket as MR P said?

Scamper
    Free Member

So guys looks like M660/M665 E Type top swing dual pull

Think thus these guys are wrong

http://www.mbr.co.uk/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=TECH&Number=78389&Searchpage=1&Main=77702&Words=+sfitter&topic=&Search=true

Mister-P
    Free Member

Yep they are wrong. Look where the mount on the frame is. Then add a mech with the mount above it, the cage will be really low, near the BB. Oh and I work for the Shimano importer and have been asked this question a few times before…

Scamper
    Free Member

Thinking about it, if the mech is bolted on to the mount, the height can’t really be adjusted, right? So this will be an issue setting the existing triple front mech up with a new double and bash? Or do i buy a double the specific mech and use the BB attachment instead?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Which SLX front mech – one for the spotters’ is closed to new replies.