Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Which single ring seat tube mounted chain guide?
  • njee20
    Free Member

So I’ve ordered a custom made titanium 36t ring for my new M985 cranks to run single ring.

Next question… which chain guide?

Has to be seat tube mounted, as the Top Fuel has a press-fit BB. I can’t find many (well I’ve not found any, but I’ve not looked that hard) places selling the seat tube mounted MRP, but are there any other options?

Lightweight is the number one priority, not interested in a bash guard.

dobo
    Free Member

My modified rohloff chain guide worked ok. not perfect but never dropped a chain and was light but a bit noisy.

i think if you can source a decent clamp then you could probably make the guides out of metal or plastic guides, might not look too bling on your bike though

tazzymtb

mrp do one, it’s about 75 grams

although this one looks better, will fit a larger diameter seat tube and is the same weight

or you can go for ultra simple with something like a paul components chain keeper

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Right now you’ve not got much choice that’s a reasonable weight- the e13 xcx.st is 73g but not available,

Billy’s have the MRP one (in white only- the black ones aren’t due for a wee while I don’t think) at 74g and nowhere near as tidy.

http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.php?prod=chmr-1x-st

The Pauls is the neatest solution and not a cheeky-as-funk £75 (£75?!! Incredible.) at about £35-40 and is lighter at 69g. But Freshtripe have run out so you’d have to order from the US.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

The e13 one is now available. In stock at ‘The Fish’ as we speak.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

The e13 one is now available. In stock at ‘The Fish’ as we speak.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Look, they’re sooo in stock I had to announce it twice!

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

In that case the e13 would be what I’d recommend- been running the BB mounted one since August and it’s been flawless. It’s neater than the mrp. And it looks nicer.

IanMmmm
    Free Member

I’ve got the E.13 on my Nicolai HT. It works. Some photos here: http://goo.gl/dRCvh

njee20
    Free Member

Agree the E.13 one looks better, the MRP one looks a bit cheap and nasty! The Paul’s one looks neat, but I wonder if it would actually work, seems disproportionately heavy considering it’s size!

Who distributes E.13? May as well see if I can get one trade if they’re available now!

househusband

I had the MRP 1.x and found it problematic; it attracted woodland detritus (mud, twigs and leaves) and soon clogged up. Got the Paul Components Chainkeeper and found it to be perfect for my needs.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Silverfish.

tazzymtb

paul components chainkeeper is £33.00 from aspirevelotech. That’s the one I’d personally go for as it’s the least gopping of the bunch and the lightest

njee20
    Free Member

Good man! No doubt get nailed for £5 postage as we hardly order anything from them, but worth a go!

spindi
    Free Member

Not that pretty but I have a DMR like this…

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/2299/DMR_Chain_Cage_2003

Works very well.

PiknMix
    Free Member

The Paul’s works perfectly. Equally as well as my MRP system 3 just in a x country package.

njee20
    Free Member

Fair enough, sounds like that’ll do then! Still cheaper than the E.13 at trade!

That DMR one weighs more than my front mech 🙂

spindi
    Free Member

DMR… yeah might do, but with the cable and shifter? Then again (and this is why I use it at the moment) it doesn’t freeze in the one position like my derailleur had a habit of doing. I was out on Sunday and my waterbottle froze near to Houndkirk. Pretty chilly to say the least.

njee20
    Free Member

I was joking, but I could actually just adjust the stop screws on my mech, it’d be cheaper and lighter.

Paul Components one on order, so thanks all!

bikerbruce
    Free Member

or do what i did and get someone to make me a custom one out of carbon plate and cnc al and ti bolts which weighs 34g and didnt drop a chain once….
    Bruce

spindi
    Free Member

custom one out of carbon plate and cnc al and ti bolts

Would you share the template?

njee20
    Free Member

A friend did have a very neat looking carbon one, and Mattias Hellore who’s doing the chainring does carbon ones, but they’re €95, which seemed excessive!

The Paul one will be light enough with some alu bolts!

singlespeedstu

njee.

There’s some nice stuff on Mattias’s site.

What are his delivery times like?

njee20
    Free Member

Not sure, I’ll let you know when it shows up! Very reasonably priced though, €64 including shipping for a custom made ti ring. Not sure what the chain line will be like on a double chainset, reckon I may have to play with it.

His stuff does look good though!

singlespeedstu

Post some pics up when you get it. 😀

bikerbruce
    Free Member

i got my chain guide and rings from mathias hes a decent chap

njee20
    Free Member

So, finally got around to installing this, and I need a high clamp mount, the Pauls guide fouls the lower shock mount. Bit annoying.

I’m still loathed to pay for the E13 one, although it does look neater than the MRP one, has anyone used one?

Half tempted to get a Superstar BB mounted one, and fashion a seat tube mount with a bolt on bottle boss and some rack stays or sommat. Probably look better than the MRP one and be about a third the price! Any other options out there yet?

mikey74
    Free Member

Is using a standard front derailleur and adjusting the limiter screws an option? I’m interested in doing this with my hardtail too.

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah I did that today, worked alright – didn’t drop the chain. Looked a bit rubbish though, don’t want to do that in the long run. You may need a longer stop screw depending on your front mech.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Which single ring seat tube mounted chain guide?’ is closed to new replies.