Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • which "Should" be a better brake – K18's or Avid Elixr CR
  • simonm
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of sets of brakes, Formula K18s and Avaid Elixir CR.

Got the Avids on the HT at the moment but the front brake is problematic, always having to bleed, almost every 4/5 rides. So, may swap to the K18s that I’ve had sat around for a while.

Question is, are the K18s regarded / actually perform better / worse / same as the Elixirs ?

ta

hughjengin
    Free Member

I have a bike with Avid Elixrs on (Specialized Epic) And a bike with Oro’s on (Lapierre Zesty) for me the Formula Oro’s are somewhere between a Million and a Billion times better. Elixrs feel horrible to me in comparison. I am comparing like for like as well, both currently have new Organic pads in ofthe same brand, both are bled well and rotors are clean and centered nicely, and the are night and day, if I currently had the money I would bin the Avids and buy some R1’s for the Epic

julianwilson
    Free Member

Theoretically, elixirs should be better. A mate has some reliable-so-far, properly working elixir cr’s and they stop better than the wilson family oro’s (2 sets in the go plus a third we since sold on), even if they are a bit more on/off. Neither oros nor elixirs have the best reputation for reliabilty of you believe everything you read on here, but both are rebuildable and pretty ok to get spares for especially since silverfish have taken on the distribution of formula. Anecditally it is easier to get the bleed ‘just right’ on oros too and the avid bleed kit you presumably have access too works on formula too.

If your k18’s work well and your elixirs don’t, I would either get your elixirs done under warranty (if you know how to bleed them properly and they deteriorate gradually over a few rides, it’s likely something wrong with the insides) or just ebay the elixirs as ‘unreliable’ and fit the brakes that work!

simonm
    Free Member

mmmm, I think there is something wrong with the lever on the Elixirs.. will try fixing that first and see what gives.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘which "Should" be a better brake – K18's or Avid Elixr CR’ is closed to new replies.