Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Which shifters? Saint or XT
  • zangolin
    Free Member

Choice between XT M770 or Saint M810 shifters for a 3×9 setup.
    Which to go for?
    I know Saint are a few quid more + I prefer the look of them but has anyone got experience of riding both? any difference in shifting or performance/quality?

radler
    Free Member

i’ve notice no difference in shifting between standard Deore, LX and XT. can’t imagine there would be a great deal of difference between Saint and XT.

friend at the bike shop has kitted his bike out with full XTR (because he can) and said the only piece of kit he’d keep would be the shifters. that is because you have so much play/adjustablity compared to any other shifter, nothing to do with the shifting itself. (there is a grub screw that allows more movement after being fixed to the bar)

the saints are also adjustable but not to the same extent as the XTR, just two differing positions.

i’d take which ever floats your boat asthetically. the Saint are 10 grammes more but have gold twiddly bits.

zangolin
    Free Member

i’d take which ever floats your boat asthetically. the Saint are 10 grammes more but have gold twiddly bits.

Yes – sad really it’s the gold twiddly bits which do it for me!
    Maybe the 10g is the weight of the gold used for said twiddly bits? 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    radler
    Free Member

yeah, it’s real gold.

akira

Got to say the XTR shifters are better than either, forty quid above the price of the Saints but they are really nice, if you’re looking at the XTs and the Saints then consider the SLXs, a lot cheaper for pretty much the same performance.

pegglet
    Free Member

i think the front saint shifter will only do two rings not three. i might be wrong but do check!

dickie
    Free Member

I found 08 XT terrible (very notchy) & sold mine & replaced with 07 XT. In a test MBR said SLX were as good as 07 XT which are arguably the best shifters ever made.
    Go SLX or LX from Merlin, were under £40 a pair.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i’ve got full xtr on one of my bikes and i’d keep both mechs, the chainset and the shifters! 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Which shifters? Saint or XT’ is closed to new replies.