Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Which seat clamp QR has the best clamping action
  • keppoch

Hello,

Which seat clamp QR would people recommend to be relatively easy to close but give a firm clamping action?

My friend is having trouble with slippage, she is very light so it is not a weight thing. The bike is an on-one inbred with Thomson seat post, is that a known bad combination? The current QR is an Azonic one I think. I like my Salsa Flip lock so that is my starting point for a recommendation.

A bolted option or dropper are not options.

benji
    Free Member

Been pleased with my Hope, it’s not a trial of strength to get it tight, that’s on a Pace RC129 with a Thomson post.

slackalice
    Free Member

Salsa

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Paceman
    Free Member

Salsa Fliplock

Using some carbon paste like Finish Line Fiber Grip might be a better and cheaper solution though.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Salsa + 🙂

Reluctant
    Free Member

Another Salsa vote……….better than anything else I’ve tried 🙂

jameso

Flip locks are about as good as they get ime, the opposite to my experience with a Hope QR. But check your seat post / tube tolerances are close if a light rider is causing slippage since pretty much any qr should hold if done up averagely tight – it’s usually how stiff the lever is/becomes to close at a good tension that’s the problem. A steel frame and a thomson should be good, generally thomsons seem a closer fit than many posts.

Speshpaul

check the inside od the frame is clean and smooth. a blast of gt85 and a quick rub with some scotchbright/wet and dry should do the trick. if there are any solid lumps then your LBS should be able to ream the tube.
    Clamps- salsa, hope, etc all good. Posts- Thomson are normally about the best fitting, double its the right size.
    Check the frame, get a solid clamp. she should be right.

andyl
    Free Member

check the inside od the frame is clean and smooth. a blast of gt85 and a quick rub with some scotchbright/wet and dry should do the trick.

Thus but I’d replace the GT85 with IPA.

Another vote for the salsa. Although I tent to have Hope to match other bits and they are fine. Just make sure you have a nicel prepped seat tube and post, a LITTLE bit of assembly grit paste or anti-seize (I use shimano as I know it’s carbon and aluminium safe) and don’t overtighten.

keppoch

Good confirmation and consensus 🙂 matches my experience.

I think the checks mentioned are an important part of this. Thanks all.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Tune Wurger.

Nothing else comes close.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Chromag are way better than the Salsa ones – no issues getting clogged in mud if you’re using it regularly on a ride. Costly and can be hard to find though.

That tune one looks interesting, they’re quite rated, but look a bit wrong 🙂

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Salsa +1
    And IME, Thomson -1, the two I’ve had had a habit of slipping

docrobster
    Free Member

Another vote for chromag. Excellent piece of kit

craigxxl
    Free Member

Chromag are great, much better than Hope and more positive action than Salsa. Very industrial looking but in a good way.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Salsa, Salsa, Salsa! (Fliplock).

spectabilis
    Free Member

A friend was suffering the same with an Azonic on an On-One, Hope post though. A Hope clamp sorted it for him…. And he’s a phat phucker too…..

hairyscary

Chromag. The only reason I don’t use it any more is that my latest frame has a built in seat clamp. It was operated a lot for about 4 years and still looks and works as well as the day I bought it.

andyl
    Free Member

never used a chromag but they do look good.

bigG
    Free Member

Been using Hope QR seat clamps for years and never had a problem with them slipping yet, and I’m a right chunker.

amplebrew

From personal experience, I’ve found DKG who designed and made the original Salsa clamp and Chromag to be the best.

plus-one

Salsa

toys19
    Free Member

chromag by yards

vermillion
    Free Member

Just a thought.There is another possibility that no one has mentioned.Have you checked the seatpost is the correct size??

The best I’ve used are Hope,,having said that,I’ve never tried Salsa or Chromag

oldnick

Syntace Superlock2.

Holds my 13 stone up and can close it with the tip of my index finger!

+1 for degrease and carbon paste.

fudge9202
    Free Member

The only choice here is Chromag!

shermer75
    Free Member

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Salsa.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

I’ve used salsa, hope and various others over the years. By far the best (brass insert, decent lever shape) is the chromag, which blew the rest away. Well worth the cash.

shredder
    Free Member

Another Chromag vote

core

Standard clamp on my genesis was crap, 27.2 post, moving all the time. Changed to hope, all fine!

takisawa2

Salsa here.
    Frame is 29.6 (Niner, steel), & kept slipping with a 30mm Hope clamp.
    Salsa one never moves.

keppoch

Ah OK, I think I have spotted the issue potentially….

The On-One website lists the seatclamp size as 29.8:

On-One seatclamp sizing

but that isn’t a very common size so I suspect it has a 30.0mm on it.

Will a 30.0 Salsa do a better job or should I seek out a 29.8mm in an alternative brand?

Surprise, surprise On-One make something in the right size and a bit fliplock esque:

On One CNC seat QR

neilnevill
    Free Member

salsa. i broke a hope trying to get it tight enough

docrobster
    Free Member

30.0 chromag was perfect on my 29.8 on one, and my 29.8 dialled.
    Replaced the cheap on-one qr that used to slip and was hard to close tightly after a while.
    Buy cheap, buy twice!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Which seat clamp QR has the best clamping action’ is closed to new replies.