Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Which Scottish Island to visit?
  • scotia
    Free Member

Going to a wedding in Edinburgh, and thought before that it might be a good chance to visit an island..but which one? We had a two week holiday on Skye last year & it was great, absolutley fantastic. I looked at Arran as its fairly easy by car from Edinburgh.

Will be for hiking, eating, scenery, no biking as we cant take our bikes..maybe a spa if there is one..

Recommendations please!

Smee
    Free Member

I would go for Arran or Mull.

grumm
    Free Member

Islay and Jura? Mull is lovely too.

matt_outandabout

Arran – cracking wee place. Great hills for walking / scrambling / climbing. Lots of nice beaches and chilled out walks. Some fine pubs / distillery. Ice cream factory with tour! Really love the place – had a friend who worked there for three years – we would bolt up from Kirkcudbright, make the last ferry and pedal over the island to see him. Some fine memories.

(some fine skinny dipping spots…)

grumm
    Free Member

Nice pics Matt – never been to Arran for some reason but its high on the list.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Arran is very nice. If you’re going to Edinburgh then arran, Bute (spent many a happy holiday there as a child) or Cumbrae are the easiest to go to.

gavinski
    Free Member

I’d second arran or mull for accesibility

i think arran is a little bit ‘twee’ but it is picturesque, mull is a lot bigger.

when are you going – mull music festival is a good laugh at the end of april/start of may. tobermory full of folk bands etc. Last time i was there i saw peatbog faeries at the mishnish, the stage is about 2 foot square and theres about 10 of them so they were playing from the crowd – bass player at the bar.

anyway, goat fell on arran is a good hill, but it’s the only one

mull has ben more which is also a good and relatively quiet hill, but there’s plenty more low hills and coastal walks. I’d recommend the walk to the carsaig arches on the south of mull.

matt_outandabout

anyway, goat fell on arran is a good hill, but it’s the only one

No its bluddy not!

scotia
    Free Member

Ah, thanks for the replies! excellent..

The wedding is the 10th Oct, so either just before, or after..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Which Scottish Island to visit?’ is closed to new replies.