Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Which Running Head Torch to replace old Petzl Tikka?
  • djambo
    Free Member

Recently started running to/from the station. With the nights drawing in its clear that I need a new head torch. The run is half off road on footpaths through woods and half on a tiny country lane with lots of tree cover meaning it is very dark. Even last night with a decent moon I nearly turned my ankle a couple of times on unexpected bumps. The off road stuff is mainly footpaths and tracks so not super technical.

The old one I have is a Petzl Tikka Plus. It was bought about 8-10 years ago so i’ve got no idea how many lumens it puts out.

Ideally I’d like to not spend more than £30. I see lots of recommendations for the Alpkit Gamma but also read a few reviews saying they wish it kicked out a bit more light when off road.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

scotroutes

When it’s proper dark and the tracks are rough I like my Lenser H7.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

For <£30 this is a bargain.

It’s just about comparable in terms of brightness to a £150 Petzl Nao, obviously it doesn’t last as long before needing charging but it’s damn good for the money.

Avoid there chest one. It’s ok if you run on flat straight tracks but on undulating/twisty tracks the light isn’t shining where you need it.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/onnight-710-black-and-orange-id_8370255.html

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    djambo
    Free Member

The Alpkit Qark looks good. Like the idea of being rechargable but with ability to put three AAAs in as a back up.

Any got any experience of one?

footflaps

Alpkit Viper is my favourite.

I have a Quark, but it’s a bit bulky / heavy. Edit I lied, it was the Manta I was thinking of….

Although still don’t think you can beat the Viper for band for your buck. Easily enough light to run by.

CraigW
    Free Member

I like my Fenix HP25R for offroad running. Bright enough, and a proper wide flood beam, so you can see what’s at your feet. Decent battery life, only need it on low to medium power most of the time. And is USB recharging, it uses 18650 batteries, so could carry a spare if necessary. Available for about £50.

I had tried the Alpkit Manta, but the beam is too narrow for running.

firestarter
    Free Member

Me and the mrs use the alpkit viper great for the money

dovebiker

With a running head torch IME you don’t need mega-lumens as you’re not going that fast, plus a big light with batteries will bounce around – I have an Exposure one which uses a rechargeable CR123 battery, is pretty small – pity it is so unreliable (been back 3 times)

oldbloke
    Free Member

Been using a Petzl Reactik for a while running almost all off road – woods & open hills. Works really well for all that on brightness, beam pattern, battery length.

Flaperon

Very happy with my Black Diamond Sprinter. USB rechargeable, well balanced, and red light on the back for any road segments.

alchiltern
    Free Member

I’d second that one from Decalthon, beam isn’t as good as something like a myo xp, but it’s nowhere near the cost.

Two observations having had one for two years with frequent winter runs. Firstly it flares light into the top of my perhiperal vision, so have to add a strip of insulating tape along the bottom of the lamp – can be annoying. Second, it’s started randomly switching between light modes when on and battery life is defiantly declining.

peekay

Do you have something that you already use for night riding that you could use for running?
    I use my exposure Joystick with an elasticated Exposure headband for night time trail running. Bright, light, compact, waterproof-ish.

If the run is more road based, and I have less need to actually use the light to see, I use a less bright Lezyne bike light with the headband and a red rear bike light clipped to the back of the headband so that I can be seen.

I find that having the light at the side of the head rather than central above the eyes helps with depth perception over uneven ground as the slight offset between light and eyes creates shadow.

mrb123
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of Alpkit ones and haven’t been that impressed.

The first I had (can’t remember the model) didn’t last that long before it stopped working.

I now have a Gamma but find it a bit heavy and cumbersome for running, particularly the battery pack at the back.

I’ll probably go back to Petzl when I get another one, Actik Core and Reactik look good.

huckersneck
    Free Member

I’m in to my Nitecore NU25, available from a variety of retailers: https://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/nu25

geomickb
    Free Member

I think I have a headtorch buying problem (cheaper than a bike buying problem):

I have a Viper cable tied to my MTB helmet, I don’t notice it’s there. It’s handy if ever I get a mechanical and is useful as a spare front light (why don’t more people do this?). Batteries seem to last forever.

I also have a Quark which I use for off-road running, it is much brighter and I love the option to recharge or swap with batteries. Don’t really notice the weight. Bit concerned the charge won’t last long because it is so bright but not really used it much yet.

I have also have had a few Gammas, I think this would be my choice for running (but yes it’s not as bright as the Quark). The flashing red battery pack is brilliant. I think I broke a few quite easily but these were the first generation ones.

Cheers,

Mick

lunge

I’ll second Decathlon, I’ve got this one, https://www.decathlon.co.uk/onnight-210-trail-head-torch-id_8503712.html, which I like as it’s a bit more stable than others. It’s not super bright but it’s more than good enough for tow-paths and light off-road work.

The other option is to go with one of their chest lights, https://www.decathlon.co.uk/run-light-250-id_8369000.html. I think the throw of light is a little better, but it does mean you can’t look around as well.

Both are cheap enough to try without a huge expenditure.

djambo
    Free Member

i’ve just ordered a Qark…will let you all know how i get on with it!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Which Running Head Torch to replace old Petzl Tikka?’ is closed to new replies.