Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Which rollers for less than 150 pounds?
  • whereisthurso
    Free Member

After some very generous people gifted me money for my birthday I’m looking at getting some rollers to keep me fit during the winter months. I’m not sure I’m likely to follow any particular regime or routines rather just get on and spin while I watch a film. What are the different options and how do they differ?

I’ve looked at the planet x ones and there seems to be 2 types, core and resistance. Not sure what the difference is?

Basically after some guidance on what would be best to buy for around 130 although I’ve 30 of crc vouchers that I could add also.

Cheers

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I went for some aluminium ones and got these:

http://www.jetblackproducts.com/products/JBT-R1-V2

Under £150, think they were more like £129.

Very happy with them, nice and durable, parallel rollers (not convex).
    Careful setup to match rollers to wheelbase makes it easier to steer!
    No resistance, so not good for max power but brilliant for cadence drills, core and smooth pedalling. You can really work up a sweat running top gear at 90rpm.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’ve got the PX ones, nice rollers. They are the same as the Sports Crafters one other than the colour.

I’ve got both the core and resistance drums and mostly use the core one. Better for rollers work if you have standard road chainset. The resistance drum does tend to ramp up pretty quickly. If I need more resistance I prefer the turbo.

I’m not sure I’m likely to follow any particular regime or routines rather just get on and spin while I watch a film.

Get the core one.

whereisthurso
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I think I’ll go for the PX core ones as they’d been my initial thought and your advice would seem to suggest they’ll be a good fit for me.

Cheers

jwab
    Free Member

Just deflate your tyres a bit if you want more resistance. Couldn’t believe the difference when it suddenly dawned on me how hard mine were to pedal when I got them thinking I was completely unfit and useless 🙂

kcal

I have the Jet Black ones, they are good, not concave though so a much better test of balance (something I’m rubbish at) and my wheelbase seems to sit between two options which makes it sketchy either setting – but a great workout of all muscles rather than just sit and spin..

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Ah yes, concave! 😳

Now convex rollers would be a challenge!

kcal

LOL that’d keep from falling asleep. crikey they’re hard enough as it is !!
    Though took me a while to realise that having the rollers a bit too far apart was making things distinctly wobbly, after 35 minutes I just about let go of the nearby chair for 30 seconds. 🙂

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I’ve got some great video of my first attempts (no, not sharing!)

Tips – start on flats, in a doorway, elbows out. Something to grab is great – I had a rope from the cellar ceiling.

I can now do no handed and sprints up to 130+ cadence with practice.

I watch Supercross on YouTube and sprint when a rider makes a pass. A session goes quickly and a tight race leaves me barely able to climb the stairs…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

my mate got some off ebay for 35 quid, hardly used. It did provide a lot of amusement in the garden

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Which rollers for less than 150 pounds?’ is closed to new replies.