Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Which road rims?
  • nicko74

Continuing from yesterday’s question, being new to the world of road (SS) wheels, what rims should I be looking at. On-One has some Miche Primatos on Weinmann DP18s, but reading around, the suggestion is the DP18s are heeeeavvy. So, what’re alternatives around similar prices?

Cheers

MSP

As a budget option, I would find it hard to look past mavic open pro sport on a shimano 105 hub. I wouldn’t want to go cheaper than that.

eshershore
    Free Member

Mavic Open Pro on your hub of choice, cannot go wrong really?

also get a Mavic rim rubber and clean / wipe the rims down regularly, and you will enjoy excellent braking performance and long durability of rim and pads

I personally run the Open Pro on Hope Pro III hubs with Sapim D/B spokes and brass nipples.

Found this wheelset to be light enough for fast recreational riding, very efficient under power and gives a sure braking response on fast downhills

but also shrugs off the everyday effects of our “wonderful” roads which are festooned with potholes and cracks!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Velocity A23 over Open Pro any day of the week!

nicko74

OK then, clear recommendation! What’s the difference between that and (say) a Mavic CXP 22?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Don’t bother with the Open Pro, I have a set, the Velocity’s are nicer.

Although if you want something even better, go for the H+son Archetype (or so Ive heard)

fhendry1
    Free Member

H Plus Son Archetype was my choice and am very happy with them.

brakes
    Free Member

CXPs are aero profiled, but heavier than Open Pros.
    is this for a single speed road bike?

MrSmith
    Free Member

posters above are not mentioning the benefits of A23’s/archetypes and that is the 19mm internal/23 external width.
    less rolling resistance, more comfort and grip due to the extra width.

johnners
    Free Member

What’s the difference between that and (say) a Mavic CXP 22?

Open Pro are double eyeleted, I don’t think any of the others are. They’re lovely to build – I’ve been running a pair built on 105 hub for 9 years without a tweak.

mrmo
    Free Member
    mrmo
    Free Member

for the record last two sets of wheels have been open pros, that will be 7-8 years? maybe 40-50,000miles? never had any problems no cracked rim, no undue rim wear. just got an Ambrosio Excellight to try something different, no comments to make yet as waiting to get it built up.

spend the money on decent tyres, they make more difference than rims.

MSP

I thought the a23’s were a more expensive option?

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

I don’t know why people continue to recommend open pros etc when Velocity A23s and the H Plus Son range are now easily available.

mrmo
    Free Member

I don’t know why people continue to recommend open pros etc when Velocity A23s and the H Plus Son range are now easily available.

maybe because open pros have a track record and are easy to get? how long so Velocity a23 and h plus son rims last, do they crack around the eyelets, etc etc. details you only find out after a couple of years.

nicko74

is this for a single speed road bike?

Yep. Probably to get from Velo Mine when I’m next in the US. Internal width is actually useful to know, as I’m thinking I may swap tyres next for something slightly fatter

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Which road rims?’ is closed to new replies.