Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Which road bike mudguard?
  • mildred

I’ve got these & they’re shite:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/crud-roadracer-mk2-mudguard-set/

They’re utterly flimsy, the plastic screws and retaining nuts are made of cheese & cannot be tightened (as a result I’ve lost most of them in 2 commutes) & there’s very little clearance under the front fork so the tyre always rubs.

My bike is a Cannondale supersix evo fitted with 700x25c tyres.

What do people reccommmed? There are no mounting lugs whatsoever.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Can you p-clip some proper SKS in place? Don’t know the frame shapes, so can’t be sure.

jam-bo

sks raceblades long 2 if you want something easily removable with good coverage.

JEngledow
    Free Member

I’ve been using SKS Raceblades on my my winter bike (Cannondale Synapse) for a couple of years and they are by far the easiest mudguards I’ve ever fitted. They aren’t as long as some, but do a reasonable job of keeping me clean-ish!

cubicboy
    Free Member

My winter bike has Portland Design Works (PDW) fenders – they are fantastic. It’s a CAAD10 so the clearance is pretty tight; also, the PDWs only have clearance for 23mm tyres.
    Over the years I’ve had other ‘guards with Crud Catchers 11s being the next best thing.
    I’m currently on circa 3,000 miles this winter on the CAAD10 and they are rock solid.
    Some pictures on my Instagram… https://www.instagram.com/p/BN_3342juYD/?taken-by=adamcubic

johnners
    Free Member

I’ve just bought some Raceblade Pro XL for a luggless bike running 28s, for 25s you probably wouldn’t need the XL. I can’t really recommend them yet because they’re not fitted, still less actually used in the wet! They do look promising though, depending how much cover you’re after. They’re a decent enough size but the rear in particular is much shorter than the SKS on my other bike, it pretty much stops at the seatstays.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Race blades and caliper brakes – keep an eye on the brakes, as the mudguard tends to dump a lot of grime on the rear caliper.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve these on my commuter.

mildred

Thanks everyone – I do like the look of those PDW fenders but I’ve ordered the race blades

will
    Free Member

GF has been using a set of these for past few months. Work well and seem quite solid.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-raceblade-long-mudguard-set/

Thankfully i’d got a winter biek with mounts so use the classic SKS Chromoplastic jobs.

SaxonRider

I can attest to the SKS Raceblades. I fit them to my CX/Commuter this week, and they have been excellent.

Being able to attach them without bolts is a pleasure, and they seem to give ample coverage.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

They’re a decent enough size but the rear in particular is much shorter than the SKS on my other bike, it pretty much stops at the seatstays.

both mine and my better half’s SKS have snapped just in front of the seatstay bridge so now offer the same level of coverage as race blades 🙄

Sandwich

n+1 time? Or are you at S-1 all ready?

johnners
    Free Member

Race blades and caliper brakes – keep an eye on the brakes, as the mudguard tends to dump a lot of grime on the rear caliper.

Ta, I think I’ll try to coax the fit just past the caliper, there looks to be clearance.

they seem to give ample coverage

TBH it looks like the saddle and seatpost will get hit by most of any overspray rather than my arse so I’m hoping you’re right.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Re the RaceBlade Longs…

They’re a decent enough size but the rear in particular is much shorter than the SKS on my other bike, it pretty much stops at the seatstays.

They are a bit rubbish from seatstay to BB with no coverage. I took a hacksaw to an old longboard and made a bit that covers that area. IMO the longs should really come with both a short bit for bikes that don’t have clearance and a long bit for bikes that do.

pdw
    Free Member

both mine and my better half’s SKS have snapped just in front of the seatstay bridge

Yep, they do that. I’d be quite tempted by the pdw ones if they had an alternative to that over-the-caliper mount as it looks a bit silly on a bike with disc brakes.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

SKS, but get the heat gun on them to get the fit right. Wee bit of innertube under the mudguard bridge helps stop them shearing.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Chromoplastics can be sensitive to fitting – you don’t want to bend them and if you do they will snap here.

Why oh why don’t frame builders build in decent clearance?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Which road bike mudguard?’ is closed to new replies.