Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Which road bike brakes?
  • phil.w
    Free Member

Looking for some calipers to finish a new bike. Has any one tried these from Planet X? any reason not to get them? (at that price & weight there must be a catch?)

What else should I be considering other than the normal Shimano/SRAM – which if there are any decent alternatives I’ll happily avoid.

Thanks.

titusrider
    Free Member

the definative article:
    http://www.eecycleworks.com/VNJune%20BrakeTest.pdf

Or at least the best ive read

foxyrider
    Free Member

I got myself some Campag Skeletons (Veloce but now Centaur upwards) and they are good but not as good as my Ultegra ones 🙂

Absolutely nothing wrong with Shimano calipers IMHO!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

The most expensive Shimanos you can afford. My 105s are crap compared to my Dura Ace.

phil.w
    Free Member

Cheers titus I will read that later.

And no I don’t think there is anything wrong with Shimano (or SRAM) I just wanted to see if there is anything a little different.

Also silver calipers may look a little ‘wrong’ on this bike and that means Shimano is being avoided if possible.

(I won’t sacrifice the performance for the colour but will spend a little extra 🙂 )

foxyrider
    Free Member

Ahh OK – Well Campag, KCNC & Tecktro might be worth a look 🙂

float
    Free Member

the shimano caliper silver is more of a gun metal grey. its really not very shiney, and looks way more badass than i thought it would.

kind of like this

foxyrider
    Free Member

The ultegra is similar – half way between silver and black FWIW 🙂

phil.w
    Free Member

cheers thanks guys. will look at all of the above.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Although this is obvious the more you pay the better the breaking (i.e. less flex, greater armiture and better pads) you get – to a point 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking of trying the Planet X ones as a lot lighter than my Shimano ones – 2/3 the weight maybe? I suppose they won’t work as well though.

flange
    Free Member
    foxyrider
    Free Member

Ah yeah forgot TRP – Yumm 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve got the planet x ones and I’m very happy with them. Qr is a bit fiddly to use but other than that they’re great.

mudshark
    Free Member

TRP!

Given the cost of those brakes the fact they are heavier than the Planet X ones makes me wonder how good the braking can be with the Planet X ones; a bit more flex?

rp16v
    Free Member

105 comes in black so could be a cheap option.

footflaps

Can’t fault Ultegra brakes seem as good as the XTR V brakes on my CX bike.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Which road bike brakes?’ is closed to new replies.